Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Two diesel questions.......

For those of you with diesels:

1.) Do you pull into the big rig side for fuel at truck stops for additional turning clear space or is that frowned upon?

2.) Do NOT want to incite wars here, nor am I looking for brand bashing.... but between the big 3 brands, are there certain brands, specific engines, and even model years to avoid or that are known to be outstanding? In regards to reliability and maintenance only! I am sure they are all highly capable tow vehicles, but currently owning 3 diesel work trucks I am all too familiar with the headache that can come with diesel ownership. More the maintenance and breakdown than the routine cost. So if I buy a diesel TV, I want to be sure it's a reliable brand, model & year! I do NOT want to be stranded places!

Thanks everyone!
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. To question 1 - if I'm towing the trailer, yes, absolutely I use the truck side of things and it's not frowned upon.

Question 2 is something I'll leave alone. 😃
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1.) Oops, should have clarified, yes - ONLY when actually towing

2.) Maybe just personal experiences? For example, we have had a lot of issues with one of our NPR Isuzu box trucks and also with a GMC Savana, although admittedly I could not tell you the exact diesel engine model in each of these- I am only the wife But they leave my techs stranded places somewhat regularly and we contemplate selling each or both of them regularly. To say the least, we'd think twice before buying them again. Our newer vans are all Nissan NV's (gas) and so far so good. Luckily we wil not be towing with any of the fore mentioned vehicles!
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
1) Only if the pump has a normal non high flow head on it. The idiot curves in the fuel tank filler neck hate it, belches all over the ground.

2) I kind of like my 99 F250 Super Duty 4x4 xtra cab short bed for it's high towing capacity, 4 wheel anti lock disc brakes, anti sway bars, maneuverability (considering it's a full sized truck), decent fuel mileage, etc. AND that of it's guestimated 500,000 mile life the odometer currently only reads 140,000 miles - it will likely outlive me. The only possible down side I've encountered is if the tires are low it's a little squirrely, take them back up to 80 psi cold and it's happy.
No idea what the newer ones are like.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Hogfan, depends what TV you get, the Euro diesels in general have a narrow nozzle opening in the tank feed that allows ONLY a low flow diesel nozzle (not a truck nozzle which is much larger diameter nor an unleaded nozzle - this is error proofing to stop people putting unleaded in). A lot of the true truck stop pumps just have the bigger nozzles although often there will be one pump on site with the smaller nozzle. If you are in urgent need of diesel, stop in the store and ask. In addition, some pumps in the regular vehicle area are the old standard (same as unleaded) and will not fit. This is pretty rare but I have seen this also. I therefore look for a forecourt with diesel at the regular pumps with a decent amount of room. They normally put the diesel at the end pump which should give you room to maneuver. I have a 27FB and have only had to back up to get out once or twice. We typically pick the gas stations that show close to an interstate intersection, they are usually well spread out. Ones that are off the interstate a bit are typically tighter to get in and out. Look for pumps that are arranged along the road not at right angles to the road. We sometimes do a "drive by" and hop back on the interstate if it looks too tight. It's really not as bad as it sounds, just don't wait until you are on fumes to look for a place to refuel. This applies to regular gas also I suppose.

On diesel quality I have not had any issues (that I know of &#128512 but I try to stay with well known brands at locations that have high traffic and hence consumption.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
1. I use the big rig pumps if there is no RV lane at the fuel stop, or if they have tight perpendicular lanes. Usual courtesy of moving immediately after fueling. Have only had professional drivers smile and ask how my "little SUV" tows. I have a nozzle adapter and gloves handy for the super flow spout mentioned earlier.

2. Have no Big Three recommendation, but am quite a fan of smaller diesels. I'm glad to see Detroit putting them in lighter duty trucks too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440288420.012952.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	246043

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
1. I use the big rig pumps if there is no RV lane at the fuel stop, or if they have tight perpendicular lanes. Usual courtesy of moving immediately after fueling. Have only had professional drivers smile and ask how my "little SUV" tows. I have a nozzle adapter and gloves handy for the super flow spout mentioned earlier.

2. Have no Big Three recommendation, but am quite a fan of smaller diesels. I'm glad to see Detroit putting them in lighter duty trucks too.

Attachment 246043

Whizzo, each day I aim to learn something and teach somebody something.

I have a weird looking plastic nozzle and gloves with the spare in the rear of my Cayenne that says "Emergency use only" had no clue what it was for but figured If I was ever in an "Emergency" I would know what to do with it. I guess that's my nozzle adapter 😀. Today it looks like I did the learning and you did the teaching. Maybe I should have read my manual more thoroughly....Nice TV by the way, the X5 was a very close second to the Cayenne in my TV selection process. I had a X5 35d picked out with the dark brown leather.....maybe next time.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
Whizzo, each day I aim to learn something and teach somebody something.

Today it looks like I did the learning and you did the teaching. Maybe I should have read my manual more thoroughly....Nice TV by the way, the X5 was a very close second to the Cayenne in my TV selection process. I had a X5 35d picked out with the dark brown leather.....maybe next time.
Thank you for the kind words.

Diesel SUV owners seem to be growing and becoming more satisfied, each time I read this group.

How's this for a bit of irony: my vehicle did not come with the adapter spout - it is an Audi/VW kit!

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
1. Yes, all the time

2. Lean heavily on the Consumer reports advice in their April automotive edition. The section titled which used vehicles to avoid. I just sold my 7.3 F-250 with 350,000 miles and purchased a GMC 2500 Denali with the Allison tranny. The Isuzu LML engine has an outstanding record and although the new Ford has more horsepower I decided on the GMC with the Allison trans. I am sure that new Ford is a great machine as well as the Fiat Dodge. Just personal choice.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	topper on.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	525.1 KB
ID:	246055   Click image for larger version

Name:	At home (2).JPG
Views:	171
Size:	632.7 KB
ID:	246056  

Old 08-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I try to use the auto pumps as the truck high volume pumps seem to me to foam more.

I'm not sure what you are talking about but under my passenger seat there is a long neck funnel to use if you have to put diesel in from a jug. There is a picture showing the use of it with a jug inside my fill flap.

I wasn't aware of a big nozzle to small fill adapter. I think I'll have to get one to have just in case.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Hogfan,

You know me and where I'm at.

I will offer a few things you might search on Google. In all my searches, I've seen less complaints about the Duramax/Allison combo. That doesn't mean it's better, but after countless hours of research over last two months, hundreds of PM's and phone calls, and a dozen or so test drives, that's where the information took me. It would be easy to order a silver Chevy 2500 4x4 crew cab long box Duramax/Allison.

But frankly, I'm still pretty smitten with the Hemi 6.4 and Mega Cab. My time and energies have been looking for info without any bias. Frankly, I don't want any truck, as I prefer SUV's. And certainly not convinced I need a diesel. So there is no emotion in my suggestion. I can't offer a scientific answer, but if you spend some time searching, I would be curious what conclusion you reach.

Ford 6.7 HPFP failure
Dodge Ram axle recall
Ram 66RFE failure/hard shifting

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
Thank you for the kind words.

Diesel SUV owners seem to be growing and becoming more satisfied, each time I read this group.

How's this for a bit of irony: my vehicle did not come with the adapter spout - it is an Audi/VW kit!

Last sentence made me smile.....😀. I agree on the many satisfied people towing with diesel SUV's (Euro or otherwise) these days, couldn't be happier with my selection. Picture of my rig below. Apologies to Hogfan for the SUV hijack.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440295539.819265.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	246073
Old 08-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Chevy 2012 Duramax (LML-Isuzu engine), Allison tranny, 4x4, 20" wheels, Crew Cab, short Wheel base. 60k miles.

Once got great mileage.. Now it sux. Only 9-10mpg towing.

I started using some additive in fuel to "loosen" any injector buildup, bit I think the problem is with DEF system.. And dealer only "shrugs" and kicks the ground when I ask for help...

I have had two Glowplugs and one injector fail. Original battery died in 2013. I replaced both. Had loss of coolant, problem seemed to be leak in coolant tank but stopped once we filled completely. A mystery.

I replaced all lubes at 40k miles because I am keeping this truck.. I hope.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
My first preference is stations with a RV Island. Many Flying J and Pilot stations and some other truck stops have them. If not or if they are in too tight quarters, I use the truck Island. If using the truck Islands, I usually have to hold the nozzle handle all the time, because the first lock position will usually kick off constantly.

Once, when I was parked in an Home Depot parking lot having lunch in the trailer, a truck with a large 5th wheel pulled in and parked next to me. He proceeded to unhitch and go across the street to a service station. He filled up, came back, hitched up and resumed his travels. That option is always available in a pinch.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We use Pilot/FJ quite a lot. We carry the Good Sam RV discount card, so the price at the big rig pump is usually 7¢ lower than the cash price. We fuel so much faster than a big truck we can be in and out without holding up a professional driver. That said, the Pilot/FJ price is often higher than other area stations if you can get in and out.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just purchased a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD, my first diesel. I didn't realize the truck islands had high flow nozzles but it makes sense. So is the nozzle diameter the same as at the diesel pumps at the auto pumps or is it the flow rate that is different?

My Ram has thr "no fuel cap" filler, just a folding flap. Will the higher flow nozzles work better with this design without the adapter mentioned previously.

Are the RV islands typically well marked when aproaching?

Are the diesel prices and fuel grades the same as the diesel at the auto islands?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 08-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I just purchased a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD, my first diesel. I didn't realize the truck islands had high flow nozzles but it makes sense. So is the nozzle diameter the same as at the diesel pumps at the auto pumps or is it the flow rate that is different?

My Ram has thr "no fuel cap" filler, just a folding flap. Will the higher flow nozzles work better with this design without the adapter mentioned previously.

Are the RV islands typically well marked when aproaching?

Are the diesel prices and fuel grades the same as the diesel at the auto islands?

Thanks

Kelvin
The marking's for RV islands vary. Also, I visually plan an entrance and exit strategy before committing to enter the pump area.

The pumps in the truck islands are larger diameter nozzles and faster flow than those in the other islands. The faster flow is what gives me the most trouble. I deal with the larger diameter, by only partially inserting the nozzle and manually regulate the flow with my hand on the nozzle control.

Ken
Old 08-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Nozzle Adapter

I was not aware that such a thing existed. A cursory search produces an adapter kit made for European passenger cars to use on truck islands. I'm guessing that would work. Is that what those of you who mention them are using, or is there something different made for US light trucks?

Ken
Old 08-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

I use the auto pumps with my 25 Safari. I pick my spot and avoid those with difficult maneuverability.
I have a 2000 Excursion 7.3. I purchased it new and it is in top condition. Yes, there have been non engine and transmission repairs, but the truck has always been as reliable as a new vehicle. Pre 2005 Dodges have a similar reliability record.
I consider all of the newer diesels problematic and if I were purchasing new I would go with a gasser.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I use the auto pumps with my 25 Safari. I pick my spot and avoid those with difficult maneuverability.
I have a 2000 Excursion 7.3. I purchased it new and it is in top condition. Yes, there have been non engine and transmission repairs, but the truck has always been as reliable as a new vehicle. Pre 2005 Dodges have a similar reliability record.
I consider all of the newer diesels problematic and if I were purchasing new I would go with a gasser.
I'm not claiming to be a holder of the ultimate truth in the GAS vs DIESEL debate, however I totally agree with your statement in bold. To me, having to put processed and reconstituted urine in a vehicle before it will allow you to drive it, is beyond ridiculous.

(OK, so it's made artificially. To me that is also ridiculous, because we go through a lot of work to break down urine and dispose of it, and then we build another factory to make it artificially. Has anyone tried peeing in their DEF tank?)

Ken