Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
1: Haven't had my diesel long enough to stop at a Flying J or Pilot while towing.

2: Even tho I have the Duramax with the Allison, so far so good. I will say I am really surprised that Carver let his 7.3 Ford diesel be handed over to someone else. That engine is legendary in it's performance & longevity. If you are looking for a diesel, and don't mind an older vehicle, THAT my friends, is the diesel to own!
Safe travels to all, and thanks for the info!
Gavin
I had a 7.3, 188,000 miles , right head gasket starts to leak, you have to cut up the heater box to remove the head, it went by-by , found a dodge with -a 6.7 and 6 speed auto, 92000 and no problems and have twice the power....the 7.3 is old technology?....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Old technology is not always bad. Most 7.3 owners will vouch for their longevity and few problems. If someone is pondering a diesel and doesn't mind the older models, the 7.3 and the older Cummins 5.9's are hard to beat. I'm on my 3rd 7.3..all had high trouble free service with good maintenance. The cost of routine service is inexpensive as well.
The fuel mileage in this current truck is the best of any yet.
It's an 02 7.3 6 speed manual 4x4 supercab short bed...oh and it's silver which probably makes it run so well...
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
And yes to the truck lanes for fuel unless there is a convenient dispenser somewhere else. There can be a significant difference in the price from big truck stops to other outlets. Gasbuddy is good for shopping. I have an in-bed aux tank and look for best price in the states ahead and top off. Savings add up quickly.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Two diesel questions.......

I am not a brand loyal owner.I have been a wholesale buyer for large automobile franchises for almost 40 years for both domestic and European franchises Chevrolet,Mercedes Benz,Ferrari,Lamborghini,Porsche,,Bentley,Lotus,Mc laren,Audi,VW, BMWJaguar,Ford and Bugatti just to name a few.I have bought thousands of vehicles in my career from $1500 -$3.5m My research is as thorough as possible and never ending.Ford has the highest resale and the lowest warranty claims of all the American manufacturers.The 6.7 Diesel engine for larger Airstreams is as good as it gets and costs less to own than the gas version.
Chevrolet is next then Dodge.
It has been this for many years

My free advise and opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:47 PM   #45
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
My research is as thorough as possible and never ending. Ford has the ... lowest warranty claims of all the American manufacturers.
Interesting conclusion... Is this calculated excluding the 2003-2007 Ford 6.0-liter Power Stroke V-8 twin turbo-diesels which prompted a large class action lawsuit and resulted in the named claimants being paid $150,000 each for their troubles in 2013? Or, does it include the gasoline unit warranty claims to help offset the aggregate corporate numbers?

The Ford-Navistar relationship was irrevocably broken as neither thought themselves to blame. However it took until the 2011 model year before Ford's self built 6.4 liter Power Stroke diesel hit the market.

www.DieselSettlement.com - Ford 6.0 Powerstroke Class Action Lawsuit
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:42 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've never had a problem filling the tank from the truck pumps in either our F-250 or our Ram 2500.

Issues I have run into, though:
1. Indiana requires you to have a DOT number to fill at the truck pumps along the toll road (and possibly elsewhere). Then after you fill up (note, you probably haven't had the chance to use the rest room yet), you're at an awkward angle to get into the truck/trailer parking.
2. Some truck pumps won't take your personal credit card, so you have to jump back about 20 years and go in and give them the card, sometimes with a pre-pay amount, then get a receipt and/or refund.

That said, I prefer using the truck pumps when towing. Always easier in and out and no idiot cars that will block you in out of ignorance. And no waiting for the diesel pump because some gas-powered car pulled up to an otherwise empty gas station and blocked the lone diesel pump, when they could have used any of the other 4 or 16 pumps that deliver gasoline. This seems to happen regularly. (Often separate diesel pumps will be situated between two gas pumps.)

For pumps where diesel is integrated with a gas pump, you can't rely on the green handle thing. Some gas brands use green handles for everything (BP comes to mind, but I'm not sure if that's right). I've never had an issue figuring out which handle is which by looking at the pump. Diesel is usually on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Interesting conclusion... Is this calculated excluding the 2003-2007 Ford 6.0-liter Power Stroke V-8 twin turbo-diesels which prompted a large class action lawsuit and resulted in the named claimants being paid $150,000 each for their troubles in 2013? Or, does it include the gasoline unit warranty claims to help offset the aggregate corporate numbers?
As a former 6.0L owner, I wondered the exact same thing. That thing was a nightmare. Getting rid of it felt like I was getting out of jail. We love our Ram, and so far so good, but it's only 1 year and 8,000 miles.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
I always fill up in the truck lanes while towing. I got a Pilot/Flying J credit card that allows you to pay at the pump as well as getting several cents below the cash price. Loves and TA are not as RV friendly and have no similar program that I know of.

I do have to manually manage the flow rate on the truck nozzles but I still can fill up in a fraction of the time it takes with a car pump.

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The trouble with the big 3 truck stops is the sign on the diesel pumps in front for the small vehicles and back for the big rigs ( all the diesel sold comes from the same tank farm on site) that states up to 20% bio-diesel.

Mercedes service told me to never put any bio-diesel in either the 2007 or 2009 v6 diesel vehicles which are pre DEF fluid. The 2012 Dodge manual states a maximum of 5% bio-diesel.

I avoid bio-diesel by going to Chevron or Shell stations. I was blindsided in Eugene, OR when a Chevron had the bio-diesel sign. I found a different station without that signage.

Folks with the DEF fluid diesel requirement would be wise to carry a spare container at all times so when in remote areas they could fill up the DEF tank when the light comes. Otherwise, one could be stranded when it will be locked out from starting.

Our diesel pickups and automobiles have very small fuel filters contrasted to the big diesel trucks on the road.

I carry spare fuel filters in all our diesel powered vehicles and know how to change them. I keep a log and the receipts of all fuel purchased and note the mileage on the receipt. That provides a basis to pin the tail on the correct donkey in the event of a load of dirty fuel.

Bio-diesel is like ethanol in gasoline - it provides a way to charge more for less energy BTUs per gallon and thus reduces mileage while causing engine and other issues.

Another important item is to do a regular check of the water separator in the diesel fuel lines. Stations that do not sell a lot of diesel have been known to have water in their storage tanks.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I noticed in the Ram diesel supplement that one fuel filter is under the bed and the other in the engine compartment. I took a peak at my Ram and the one under the bed looks difficult to access. Have you had an opportunity to try to change that filter or drain it?

Do the big rigs run on 20% bio-diesel. The 2015 manual has the same 5% restriction.

I checked the Love's website and notice clicking on individual stores some have B15, some B10 and some have no bio-diesel. Looks like I'm going to have to picky where I fuel up.

Do the diesel pumps state the content if they serve Bio-diesel like the gas pumps for ethanol?

I checked the Pilot/Flying J location list for Missouri and a lot of them have B20.

I'm beginning to wonder if it was a mistake to purchase a Cummins.

Kelvin
Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I called my Ram dealer's service department where I purchased my truck to find out the fuel requirement since the diesel supplement and what I'm finding on the internet including Cummins is confusing. Typical dealership, the service person put me on hold to find out the answer. They recommend no higher than B5 but other sites show the Cummins ISB engine starting in 2013 allows up to B20 and warranty is enforced.

I'm surprised the owners manual doesn't put the fuel requirements in a prominent location and clarify exactly if the engine is good to B20.

With more and more diesel going to greater than B5 I would think all current diesels would support up to B20.

Kelvin
Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Try the turbo diesel register.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
It's on page 69 of the Diesel Supplement for my 2014. the gist of it is if you regularly use fuel between B5 and B20 it reduces the service intervals. i.e. oil change, fuel filter, etc.

Here's a link. Check fuel requirements in the Diesel Supplement.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I have used B20 in my 15 Silverado Duramax with no problems. I buy Shell locally but on the road I use the truck stop blend. At Buckees in Texas it's B20. Not sure what the effect was but there was nothing noticeable to me pulling the trailer.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #54
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just back from a 4000 mile trip from NC to MN to SD. Tow with a '14 Ram w 6.7L Cummins. AWESOME TV. I find the diesel fuel-up situation a PITA, even with a 36 gal aux diesel tank in the bed and a VERY long range between fill-ups, it doesn't appear that fuel sellers "get it" in regard to convenience for those who have diesel vehicles. 1. They do NOT clearly mark diesel pumps with large enough signage (if any)....and when you two a 30 ft TT, that is irksome. 2. Some stations who carry diesel do not have pumps where you can pay by CC...you have to go inside, prepay, then pump. Hassle. 3. IF you fill at a truck stop .... while the nozzle will fit, IF you use a high flow pump and you don't VERY carefully limit the flow rate you will have a tank of foam rather than diesel. RE: DEF. Only twice in 2 years has a station that sells diesel NOT had a 2 gallon jug available -- DEF availability is not an issue and the RAM gives plenty of warning via dash gauge on how much you've got left. Also, I carry both the engine fuel filter and the chassis (rear) filter with me. I also change them myself. They are not cheap by any means....but a diesel with clean fuel and clean air and decently clean oil can expect to outlive most of us. As far as towing? I can pass almost anything going up a mountain, and more importantly....going downhill the engine/exhaust braking system really saves brake pads/linings and makes things a lot safer. I LOVE MY CUMMINS!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
It's on page 69 of the Diesel Supplement for my 2014. the gist of it is if you regularly use fuel between B5 and B20 it reduces the service intervals. i.e. oil change, fuel filter, etc.

Here's a link. Check fuel requirements in the Diesel Supplement.

My Ram Trucks: Ram Owners Service Manuals - Ram Cars, Minivans, SUVs
I download the 2015 diesel supplement.

Page 323
Use good quality diesel fuel from a reputable supplier in your vehicle. Federal law requires
that you must fuel this vehicle with Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel fuel (15 ppm Sulfur
maximum) and prohibits the use of Low Sulfur Highway Diesel fuel (500 ppm Sulfur
maximum) to avoid damage to the emissions control system.
For most year-round service, No. 2 diesel fuel meeting ASTM specification D-975 Grade S15
will provide good performance.
If the vehicle is exposed to extreme cold (below 20°F or -7°C), or is required to operate at
colder-than-normal conditions for prolonged periods, use climatized No. 2 diesel fuel or
dilute the No. 2 diesel fuel with 50% No. 1 diesel fuel. This will provide better protection
from fuel gelling or wax-plugging of the fuel filters.
This vehicle is fully compatible with biodiesel blends up to 5% biodiesel meeting ASTM
specification D-975.
Pickup models, and Chassis Cab models configured with optional B20

capability, are additionally compatible with 20% biodiesel meeting ASTM specification
D-7467.
MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE 323

I didn't see anything on the sticker about my truck having a B20 option

I'm not sure my Ram is included in the two excerpts from the manual:

Pickup Models And Chassis Cab Models Ordered
With B20 Option
Your vehicle has been validated and approved for the use
of Biodiesel in blends up to 20% (B20) provided that you
comply with the requirements outlined below. It is important
that you understand and comply with these
requirements. Failure to comply with Oil Change requirements
for vehicles operating on biodiesel blends up to
B20 will result in premature engine wear. Such wear is
not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Biodiesel is a fuel produced from renewable resources
typically derived from animal fat, rapeseed oil (Rapeseed
Methyl Ester (RME) base), or soybean oil (Soy Methyl
Ester (SME or SOME) base). Biodiesel fuel has inherent
limitations which require that you understand and adhere
to the following requirements if you use blends of
Biodiesel greater then 5% but not greater than 20%
(B6-B20). There are no unique restrictions for the use of
B5. Use of blends greater than 20% is not approved. Use
of blends greater than 20% can result in engine damage.
Such damage is not covered by the New Vehicle Limited
Warranty.

A maximum blend of 5% biodiesel meeting ASTM

specification D-975 may be used with your Cummins®
diesel engine. (Chassis Cab models not configured
with B20 capability.)
A maximum blend of 20% biodiesel meeting ASTM

specification D-7467 may be used with your Cummins
® diesel engine. (Pickup models and Chassis Cab
models configured with B20 Capability.)

Yet I read from sites like Car and Driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

The 2013 Ram diesel supports B20.

I just don't want to be on the road searching all over the place and having to go out of my way for B5 or less. It's bad enough fuel stops with 6 or more islands only have diesel on one island and its taken up by cars getting gas. Having to verify its the correct blend will get tiresome. I know more and more stations will be converting over to blends higher than B5.

I don't mind changing my oil sooner, 15k/6mos if I'm forced to use blends greater than B5.

Kelvin

Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
This thread seem to have hashed and rehash the original questions. With the OP and readers' indulgence I would like to asked about a slightly different fueling situation.

Those of us with diesel TVs have the escape route of diesel truck stops. How do folks with long trailers and gasoline powered TVs solved the problem of crowded and cramped automobile fueling islands?" They (cramped stations) seem to be more and more the norm.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Two diesel questions.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post

The Ford-Navistar relationship was irrevocably broken as neither thought themselves to blame. However it took until the 2011 model year before Ford's self built 6.4 liter Power Stroke diesel hit the market.

www.DieselSettlement.com - Ford 6.0 Powerstroke Class Action Lawsuit

Sorry as stated in my post current year 6.7 diesels are what I was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Kelvin,

check out pages 87 thru 91 about your biodiesel question from the 2015 Diesel manual supplement.

Essentially you need to tighten up the oil/oil filter and fuel filter changes on your truck (more often).

My truck is a bit older and only had a single under the hood 5 micron filter from the factory. There was a technical service bulletin for fuel quality so I installed the Mopar Severe Duty Fuel Filter kit which allows me to run up to b20 fuel. The severe duty filter is 20 microns and allows for more water separation. Both filters have a WIF (water in fuel sensor) and a drain.

I believe all the trucks past 2012 run dual filters - should be the same system that I upgraded to.

B20 is also a fuel that has more solvents to which the tank is cleaned thus a higher chance for dirt and greater chance for water.

Contact Bob4x4 on this forum and he should give you the exact information from Mopar.

Buy a subscription to Turbo Diesel Register magazine for a year which should answer your truck questions and put you at ease.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Page 87 - 91 shows the 1500 diesel information. The Ecodiesel is B20 compatible and the manual shows the different oil change schedules.

The Cummins section starts at page 135. In the maintenance section it doesn't show different oil change schedules for using B5 to B20. It mentions reducing the oil change schedule for cab chassis and pickups that have the B20 option.

I might have changed my mind about the Ram if I was aware of this fuel limitation. The MB Sprinters are stuck with B5 or less although the Mercedes biofuel guide mentions you can use up to B20 you have to change your oil and filters more and will experience less power.

2015 GM Duramax engine and Ford 6.7L are B20 compatible. Ram is late to the party.

Kelvin
Old 08-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I'm not pushing Flying J but their RV pumps have gasoline and diesel.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote