Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2024, 12:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2024 20' Caravel
Westerville , Ohio
Two dealers - two very different opinions

I live 15 minutes from an airstream dealer. We just purchased a brand new caravel 20 FB. My local dealer says a blue ox sway Pro hitch would be perfect for the caravel, which will be towed by a Porsche Cayenne with 7700 pound tow capacity (we already own the cayenne so that’s a non-debatable element lol). Based on comments here on air forums, I also consulted someone at a very prominent airstream dealer in the great white north. They had a very different opinion about the sway pro. Is it worth having these two dealers talk it over and help me decide or should I just go with the recommendation of the Canadian dealer because they are so well respected on this forum? I really have no clue what the right decision is and don’t know who to listen to, but I do know I want my wife and I to be safe. Thanks!
CopyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 01:09 PM   #2
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Go with CanAm. They know their stuff.

That said, please share the tow ratings (trailer, tongue load, payload) for your vehicle with and without weight distribution. Also the trailer weight and tongue load specs (better yet real world measurements.)

Point bring, you might not even need a WD hitch for a trailer that size and a vehicle that capable. If the loads are within your vehicle’s specs without WD, I would suggest trying it without WD and see how it goes. If you’re not happy, then take a roadtrip to Ontario. 👍
BikeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 01:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Start with whatever the TV manufacture of your TV recommends, there should be section on trailer weights & WDH. Unless the dealer is looking at your TV manual I wouldn't trust what they say. It's a good thing to question and it can be a steep learning curve but once you understand the details you will be able to make the right choices.
Good Luck & have fun !
2link2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
What hitch is the recommendation of the Dealer in the Great White North for that TV-trailer combo?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Unfortunately many dealers recommend what they have in stock, even if your trailer only has a 500 lb tongue weight and they only have 1500 lb WD bars.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:59 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I towed a 19' and 25' with a Touareg V8 and a V10 diesel, both with air suspension. Towed on the ball with a friction sway bar, a Reese hitch, and a Hensly hitch. But I am not going to tell you what to do. I suggest you continue searching on this site for info on Porsche towing options and then make your own decision. There's a lot of info here. And research before adding some kind of Canadian hitch reinforcement.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Dealers will try to sell you what they sell. Members here will tell you what they like and don't like. Some members will have had a bad experience with a particular brand, others a great experience with the same brand. Most WD hitches are designed to transfer weight on the tow vehicle as well as dampen or eliminate sway. Some causes of bad experiences with a hitch are owner caused, some by poor installation, some by lack of maintenance. As you have a VW/Audi/Porsche tow vehicle, I would contact the dealer and ask if they have any recommendation, and find out if there are any potential warranty concerns.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:05 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
You may ask them how many Cayenne/Caravel combo they have previously set up. That should give you a pretty good idea as to which dealer’s recommendation you should follow.
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:52 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyPirate View Post
I live 15 minutes from an airstream dealer. We just purchased a brand new caravel 20 FB. My local dealer says a blue ox sway Pro hitch would be perfect for the caravel, which will be towed by a Porsche Cayenne with 7700 pound tow capacity (we already own the cayenne so that’s a non-debatable element lol). Based on comments here on air forums, I also consulted someone at a very prominent airstream dealer in the great white north. They had a very different opinion about the sway pro. Is it worth having these two dealers talk it over and help me decide or should I just go with the recommendation of the Canadian dealer because they are so well respected on this forum? I really have no clue what the right decision is and don’t know who to listen to, but I do know I want my wife and I to be safe. Thanks!
IN MOST CASES...

It's all about what they sell as far as what is 'best'.
As for C-eh-n-eh-d-eh, some do some don't.
I don't.
A quality hitch...SET UP PROPERLY.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-24-2024, 10:15 AM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I don’t see the benefit in asking the Porsche dealer. When I tried to buy a new vehicle at our local dealer they couldn’t even answer questions about the vehicle, let alone tow setup.

When Porsche North America wanted to demonstrate the Cayenne’s tow capabilities to their dealers they couldn’t use internal resources, since their engineers are in Germany, where WD isn’t used. They hired CanAm to set up the combination. That should tell you something.

I checked CanAm’s website. I saw many WD hitches listed in their catalogue, including Blue Ox. I would trust their recommendation.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 10:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Dealer recommendation

I would be very careful about asking the automotive dealer for a recommendation. I just bought a new Chevy and my configuration comes with a caveat to not use snow chains but didn't say what to use instead. I called the local service department and was told it would be OK to use them as he uses chains on his Dodge all the time. YIKES!!!

Experience with this setup makes all the difference in the world. As was mentioned earlier, ask how many they have set up like this and let that be your guide as to who you listen to.

Good luck!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Relating our Can-Am experience, our 25' came quoted with a Blue Ox, I asked Can-Am if we should keep it and I got sort of a sneer in their response so I had the dealer take it off our tab. They fitted our Audi Q7 (same platform) with the EAZ Lift and their custom hitch. With a 20' you may not need something so robust, but they know the Cayenne and I'd certainly take their advice over anyone.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:

We have a 20FB, use a BlueOx SwayPro… love it.

The ‘great white north’ dealership has a different perspective than others.

Having two different dealerships discussing things wouldn’t help, they’ve got different opinions.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 01:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
...Dealers will try to sell you what they sell. ...

We bought a business in a mall once. When we asked the prior owner which knife was his favorite, he responded "...the one I have the most of."
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 01:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
We have a 20FB, use a BlueOx SwayPro… love it.

The ‘great white north’ dealership has a different perspective than others.

Having two different dealerships discussing things wouldn’t help, they’ve got different opinions.
In this case however I would be deferential to the dealer who knows Porche Cayennes and sells Airstreams over the one who knows Airstreams but probably has never had set up a Porche Cayenne or seen one pull an Airstream.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 06:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
COLUMBUS , Ohio
I will be surprised if you are actually able to get the two dealers to talk it over in any substance with the end of helping you decide. My current thought is that the Columbus dealer doesn't actually put much thought into it but is recommending what the manufacturer of the trailer is recommending regardless of what you use as a tow vehicle. And that the great white north dealer has a favorite combination of components which is what he recommends most of the time but at least he has actually given it some thought. The Canadian has more experience with a wider variety of tow vehicles combined with Airstreams than probably anybody else in North America. I have the Canadian's hitch combo on my rig and like it. But I know others feel the Canadian will encourage some people to tow with what could be considered less than sufficient tow vehicles.

You may also want to look at the weight of the various WD options as payload capacity is likely to come into play on the Cayenne.

TLDR:
I purchased both my truck & my Airstream from that same central ohio dealer in 2019. The hitch they were selling back then was the Equalizer. They recommended it, sold it, and upon delivery set up my equalizer. My rig porpoised on the way home every time I went over a significant highway seam. I inspected the Equalizer when I pulled into my driveway. I was on level ground and I was able to lift a WD bar off of it's cradle with the strength of one arm. The WD hitch as they had set it up wasn't doing anything. I took it back to that central Ohio dealer and they lifted the cradles one bolt hole making it tighter. I could no longer lift it off the cradle by hand but they had done no measurements of any kind when adjusting it after I brought it back. I drove it home again and it was better but still didn't feel right. That weekend I read the equalizer manual and set it up correctly, which varied significantly from what the dealer had done. I also was running with 1200 lb bars which were probably too heavy for my truck/trailer combination.

A year and a half later I drove up to Canada and bought a hitch from the well known Canadian dealer. It was a combination of:
  • EAZ-lift Hitch with 1000 lb round tapered bars (for my 30' trailer & 2500HD truck)
  • Reese Snap-Up Brackets
  • 2 Husky Dual Brake Pad Friction Sway Control Kits

The Canadian dealership did the initial setup with my truck & my trailer in their shop. I am very happy with what I ended up with. The owner then showed me the hitch, showed me how to tweak it, went for a test drive with me, and also gave me his thoughts on what I was using for gain on my brake controller on the truck. All told I am very happy with what I ended up with.

That all said the Blue Ox Sway Pro looks a lot better to me than the previous Airstream hitch, the Equalizer. And perhaps, with the Sway Pro method of sway control coming from the chain position and angle of the chain the hitch will come in lighter than your alternatives which could be of benefit if you have limited payload capacity on your tow vehicle.
Sailorjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
I've been around the Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 for a while. My neighbor had the Q7 and now has the Porsche - use it towing his boat.

The issue with European hitches is they are not designed for that jacking-up on the receiver tube, craziness of a WDH. If I were towing with my Range Rover I would still use a WDH, just not so much force on the bars. BUT the Rangie does have 2x forward mounted hitch supports to resist receiver rotation.

Standard hitch installations, unless specified for WDH use, do not. For example, the hitch I have for our X5, I wouldn't use WDH unless augmented somehow.

This is an older photo from Rennlist, it shows the metal welded to counter that upward jacking/ rotation force on the receiver. It's a bit garish, but is the correct move.

And for trailer roll stability, using some decent WDH bars is a good thing. I found the Blue Ox had too much flex with the Globetrotter...however if I ran that trailer with better shocks, it might have been OK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cayenne hitch.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	546.7 KB
ID:	441474   Click image for larger version

Name:	touregAS.png
Views:	14
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	441475  

Old 02-28-2024, 08:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
To start, the 20FB will probably have a tongue weight of 650 lbs when loaded. A wdh will provide the best towing experience.

The Blue Ox looks fine to me, but I have no experience with it. I do believe it’s far better choice than the Equal-i-zer, which I think is too stiff for an Airstream and does harm over time.

The Eaz-Lift works well. It’s a long-established brand, and CanAm has sold it for over 50 years, so they know the product as well as anyone. I expect they haven’t changed to another brand because they haven’t found anything that works better.

At the end of the day, a precise setup is critical to a good experience. Can Am is the only outfit that I’m aware that is offering detailed (and free!) advice on how to best set up a wdh. Andy has a great video of himself setting up the wdh for his Model 3 and 27’ Airstream that details the process. If you don’t go to Can Am for a hitch, you should be prepared to correct the setup after you bring it home, unless your dealer has a tech that really understands.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:37 AM   #19
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Get a setup from Can-Am, dialed in exactly for your TV/trailer combination. You'll be glad you did. They know what they're doing.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:34 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
A Porsche Cayenne does not need a WD hitch to tow a 20FB. It is well within the vehicle's capability. Try it first with a simple ball mount. It is best to avoid WD hitches as they will compromise the ability of the vehicle to safely negotiate a turn.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote