Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Wildomar , California
TV Question

2019 f150 Lariat 375 hp 470 torque or 2019 f150 Limited with Raptor engine-470 hp 5100 torque to tow 2019 Globetrotter. All to be purchased soon. Or other recommendations? Thanks
I'm a newbie��
Globetrotter 27
olybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by olybear View Post
2019 f150 Lariat 375 hp 470 torque or 2019 f150 Limited with Raptor engine-470 hp 5100 torque to tow 2019 Globetrotter. All to be purchased soon. Or other recommendations? Thanks
I'm a newbie��
Globetrotter 27
An F150 is marginal for towing a 27. The engines are fine but the payload and axle capacity are lacking. Get an F250.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Well, my half ton does just fine towing my 31 footer.....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
And oh, either one will pull the trailer just fine.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I love overkill. That rig will work just fine. You can take It to the drag races, leave it all hooked up and still bring home a trophy. Have fun.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Lariat VS Limited

Plenty of power to pull the GT. However, you do want the most cargo/axle capacity you can get in a F150. The Lariat should have a higher cargo capacity as a result of fewer options. If you are going to custom order your truck, find a dealer that has an experience commercial truck salesperson. Let them know what the intended use is. You may want to take a look at an XLT model. Still very nicely equipped and will have an even higher cargo capacity. There are many option packages for F150's that can boost tow capability.

Going to an F250 may or may not be the answer. Again, depending on how it is equipped will tell the tale of tow capability.

Enjoy your new GT. Beautiful Airstream. Now go order up a great tow Vehicle.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by olybear View Post
I'm a newbie��
Globetrotter 27
As many of us can attest, your "payload" likely will be quite low with that configuration, unfortunately. Don't go by the dealer specs; (or salesman input)!! See the door sticker for accurate payload info. The Raptor's I looked at couple years ago had terrible towing and payload numbers compared to other Lariat models nicely equipped; And yes, a 1/2T can "tow" ..and many folks do "tow" 27'-30' AS's with a 1/2T; **BUT** a 3/4T will afford more cargo capacity (payload, including your tongue weight), better handling, better braking, less stress at highway speeds especially in the mountains.

My "observation" here on the Forum is usually, those who disagree with the value of stress free towing a larger AS with a larger 3/4T TV, have never pulled their own AS's with one to compare. So they tend to get uniquely bent out of shape over the suggestion that their may be a better solution out there...

By the way, I owned a 2012 F150 EB 4x4 Platinum towing my first 2 25' AS FC's...it pulled great, but when I finally discovered "payload" importance, I looked and saw it was only 1039lbs...did not understand the relevance of payload when I was first shopping after owning 2 Tahoes previously. I was so excited about torque and HP with the EB engine, I was always way overloaded and did not know it...just saying...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Wildomar , California
TV Question

Thanks one and all for the input! Much appreciated
olybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
As others have already said, any of these 1/2 tons have more than enough power, but are lacking in the payload department. Do not rely on the brochures for payload information, you need to look at the door sticker of the truck you have in mind. Ditto for the trailer brochures. The GT will have a loaded tongue weight in the 1000lb range. Together with the weight of a WD hitch, passengers and gear you will find that you have used up, and probably then some, of the cargo capacity on a nicely equipped 1/2 ton.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Towwing with a 1/2 ton

I am not a huge fan of pickups. All of my personal towing experience is with vans. Boat towing with 95 GMC Rallye and now towing a 2019 FC 25 RBT with a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van. This is an old school, full frame van. The ones that plumbers and electricians love. Now, this is the civilian version with full leather seating, factory tow package, NAV, back up camera and warning, etc. Not a conversion van. Somebody ordered this one special. Took me 6 months to find it. Used at a Toyota dealer in Florida.

Specs are 8600 GVW, Cargo Weight Capacity 2530 (yes, right off the door sticker), front axle 3700, rear axle 5120. 8 lug wheels, Dana 60 axle with 3.73 LSD. This is a 1/2 ton van with cargo weight capacity rivaling many 3/4 ton trucks. All the travel junk is secure and dry inside. We remove the rear bench seat (set up for 7 passengers) and the 2 additional captains chairs when traveling. Tons of room. Tows very nicely.

There are options out there when it come to tow vehicles. Nissan NV 3500, Chevy Express with the 6.0 engine (and the GMC twin), Ford Vans with the V-10 engine. Just some food for thought.

I realize that a whole lot more trucks are sold than vans, but the towing that I have done with vans has been very convenient. Happy travels.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Pull my 28’ with F150 just fine. I have an XLT with payload of 1850lbs. Biggest issue with vans is no AWD or 4WD. But it depends upon where you live and drive the rest of the year. I live in WI and couldn’t do without the 4WD.

However I read that Ford is coming out with an AWD transit van. Interesting.

The F250 without the diesel gets terrible mpg as a daily driver. But if I were towing a great deal the F250 would be the way to go. And the diesel is one expensive truck and expensive to maintain and fix. But it can certainly do the job.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Ford Transit Vans and towing

When searching for a new van to tow with I looked at the Transit vans. Very low tow ratings. Go to the ford towing specs website and you will be surprised at the towing ability. Additionally, Ford does not recommend using a WD hitch on these vans. Yes, there are some folks on this site that tow with them. The "Wagon" version, van with an interior, not a cargo style van, Has an even lower tow rating.

Possibly a 4 wheel drive version will make a difference. These vans are not body on frame construction. They are unibody. Now, some people say that is a plus and others say full frame is best. I think I will stick with the full frame construction of my E150. Old school? Yes, but it works for me.

The Ford Transit Vans that I test drove did drive very nice. Plenty of power with the 3.5 EcoBoost. Just could not get past the 5000 lb tow rating for the T150 Wagon. Happy travels.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
When searching for a new van to tow with I looked at the Transit vans. Very low tow ratings. Go to the ford towing specs website and you will be surprised at the towing ability. Additionally, Ford does not recommend using a WD hitch on these vans. Yes, there are some folks on this site that tow with them. The "Wagon" version, van with an interior, not a cargo style van, Has an even lower tow rating.

Possibly a 4 wheel drive version will make a difference. These vans are not body on frame construction. They are unibody. Now, some people say that is a plus and others say full frame is best. I think I will stick with the full frame construction of my E150. Old school? Yes, but it works for me.

The Ford Transit Vans that I test drove did drive very nice. Plenty of power with the 3.5 EcoBoost. Just could not get past the 5000 lb tow rating for the T150 Wagon. Happy travels.
Owned 3 full size E150 van's over the early years towing a popup and couple different boats. Worked well for our family, but payload with passengers was not that great in a 1/2T frame...plus, did not want to carry gas and generator, nor firewood and bbq charcoal grill along...limited use with a larger AS for sure, but very nice for passengers when we were a family of 6.

Never heard/saw any comments about Ford recommending not using a WDH with a van. Why do you say this? Have you talked with Ford about towing a larger AS such as a 25 or larger without WDH? Would be good to understand...

To me, a WDH as discussed in many threads hear on the Forum, is an added safety tool when towing a larger AS...just saying...but, show me where Ford says "not recommended" and why. Appreciate your info.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Transit Van and WD

When researching vans to pull our AS (this was 3 years ago) I went to several ford dealers to look at and test drive the "Wagon" version of this van. Very few dealers stock the "Wagon" version. Most have Cargo vans. Found out the the highest tow rating for the "Wagon" was the T150 low roof model and it had a rating of 5000lb. That is with the 3.5 Eco. A couple of the brochures that I had at the time for these vans indicated in print that the use of a WD hitch was "Not Recommended". It did not state forbidden or do not use, just "Not Recommended". I have since pitched all the stuff I collected when looking. I will take a "Not Recommended" as a "Do Not Do That". The regular old school Ford E Series vans are full frame and can take a WD hitch. I use an Equalizer for my AS towing.

I would not tow a larger, 25' plus, travel trailer with one of the "Wagon" versions of this van. Not tow rated even close to the weight of a 25' AS. The cargo versions of this van have ratings up to around 7400 lbs.

My current 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van is factory set up as a 7 passenger and has a cargo capacity rating of 2530 lbs. That is extremely good for a 1/2 ton frame. This is a standard length van, not the extended body.

We carry a Champion 3500 Dual Fuel generator and only use propane. We also bring along a Weber Q1000 and a propane fire pit. All runs off the propane tanks on AS. I installed a splitter line that provides unregulated pressure for the Genset, grill, and pit.

WD hitches offer an additional layer of safety for towing (properly setup) and even better if said hitch includes sway control.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Yes, you can tow a GT27 with an F150. Yes, you will like towing better with an F250 diesel. Always check the door sticker for Payload info.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Wd hitches have nothing to do with safety. They are simply a device that allows you to tow a heavier trailer than your tow vehicle's rear axle is designed to tow.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Wd hitches have nothing to do with safety. They are simply a device that allows you to tow a heavier trailer than your tow vehicle's rear axle is designed to tow.
Well, following that line of thinking, I would not need a WD hitch to tow my AS. The rear axle rating on my E150 van is 5120 lbs. I could drop my AS right on the ball and be way under that 5120 lbs rating.

Here is how it works out with my van. Van all packed up and ready to go, no trailer, Cat Scale ticket says 6400 lbs. Even split, front to rear. Drop on trailer (our recently sold 2017 23D). Take off down the road with no WD in place. Not the best driving experience. Rather light on front end feeling. Kind of wanders and does not feel planted. Enter Equalizer 10k/1000lb bars WD hitch. All installed (all measurements taken, front and back wheel well heights, etc.) and headed back to Cat Scale. Way, Way better driving experience. Planted. No wander. Feels good. Cat Scale says Front axle 3250 lbs (got my weight transferred back to front axle) rear axle 3865 (picked up 665 lbs of tongue weight) trailer axles 4950lbs.

Front wheel well measurement went right back to where it was and rear wheel well dropped 3/4". With the high capacity rear axle rating it did not drop much. Drives a bit on the stiff suspension side when not towing.

I do not use a WD hitch to tow more than my vehicles axle is rated to tow. I use it because it makes it much safer to go down the road with a well driving, stable, planted vehicle. The added factor of the Equalizer having 4 point sway control is also a nice thing to have. Not the most expensive nor the least expensive WD hitch, but it works well for my combo.

A properly set up WD hitch results in a safer driving experience, IMHO.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Well, following that line of thinking, I would not need a WD hitch to tow my AS. The rear axle rating on my E150 van is 5120 lbs. I could drop my AS right on the ball and be way under that 5120 lbs rating.

Here is how it works out with my van. Van all packed up and ready to go, no trailer, Cat Scale ticket says 6400 lbs. Even split, front to rear. Drop on trailer (our recently sold 2017 23D). Take off down the road with no WD in place. Not the best driving experience. Rather light on front end feeling. Kind of wanders and does not feel planted. Enter Equalizer 10k/1000lb bars WD hitch. All installed (all measurements taken, front and back wheel well heights, etc.) and headed back to Cat Scale. Way, Way better driving experience. Planted. No wander. Feels good. Cat Scale says Front axle 3250 lbs (got my weight transferred back to front axle) rear axle 3865 (picked up 665 lbs of tongue weight) trailer axles 4950lbs.

Front wheel well measurement went right back to where it was and rear wheel well dropped 3/4". With the high capacity rear axle rating it did not drop much. Drives a bit on the stiff suspension side when not towing.

I do not use a WD hitch to tow more than my vehicles axle is rated to tow. I use it because it makes it much safer to go down the road with a well driving, stable, planted vehicle. The added factor of the Equalizer having 4 point sway control is also a nice thing to have. Not the most expensive nor the least expensive WD hitch, but it works well for my combo.

A properly set up WD hitch results in a safer driving experience, IMHO.
A properly sized tow vehicle is what makes for a safer driving experience. If you need a wd hitch to make it work then you dont have a properly sized tow vehicle.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Love my 2018 Nissan Titan XD. Cummins diesel V8 300HP & 550 ft of torque. It's worth taking a look at before you purchase.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
A properly sized tow vehicle is what makes for a safer driving experience. If you need a wd hitch to make it work then you dont have a properly sized tow vehicle.
Really? Seriously? Surely you don't really believe that. Just at a loss as to how to respond to such a statement.

At this point I think it might be a good idea to view the rest of this thread from the sidelines. Have a great day. Happy travels.