Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Nissan Titan XD, built in Canton, Mississippi.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #22
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I quit consulting Consumer reports twenty years ago. They are left of Lenin and totally Anti American anything. Tundra is a Johnny come lately to the Pickup Game. It gets the job done for sure, the Japanese are great copiers.
Toyota trucks are built in San Antone...

I find consumer reports very pro-American as they seek to inform honestly and mostly, right on in their reports (which are based upon Americans reporting back their product experiences). I really appreciate unbiased product evaluations.

If being informed is being "left", then I'm all for it!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
If I understand WD hitches it shifts the weight from the rear to the front of the TV. You still have 800 lbs to subtract from your total payload. With my F150 EB I only have about 250 lbs available for payload if I'm carrying 2 people and a tank of gas. Checking the GVWR is important.
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesair View Post
If I understand WD hitches it shifts the weight from the rear to the front of the TV. You still have 800 lbs to subtract from your total payload. ...
A properly set up WD hitch will usually transfer up to 1/3 of the weight from the rear axle to the front axle and about the same amount to the trailer axle.
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Great thread and good input. The discussion brought back a funny memory from an MBA class many years ago. The professor was using her personal example of choosing a new car to demonstrate the power of a decision making tool built into Excel. You can list features important to you and rate those features on how important they are to you. Towing capacity might be more important than price point or milage for example. Excel takes care of all the calculations and delivers the result. After stepping through her entire example for her five cars and driving to a conclusion, we asked, "so which one did you buy?" She looked up, smiled and proudly said, "the red one..." Sometimes the decision is really less technical and more personal.

Good luck, enjoy the ride and many adventures in your new Airstream and TV,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Toyota trucks are built in San Antone...

I find consumer reports very pro-American as they seek to inform honestly and mostly, right on in their reports (which are based upon Americans reporting back their product experiences). I really appreciate unbiased product evaluations.

If being informed is being "left", then I'm all for it!

1.Did America need another two pickup manufacturers ? All Toyota and Nissan did by getting into the business is dilute the market. Neither are original creations that have contributed something revolutionary to world of pick up trucks.
2.Consumer reports top truck is the the Tundra made by a Japanese MFG. I rest my case.
Both the F-150 Ecoboost and the Ram Ecodiesel are far superior to the Tundra especially towing. Both of them will blow the doors of any Tundra at higher elevations.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
These vehicles are EXPENSIVE to buy and maintain. When comparing WHAT they can tow, you should also be evaluating how long they'll serve you. They all look great and ride great, BUT, at the end how much will they cost you. Anecdotally, why do you find few Toyota models being traded for traditional USA nameplates? Yet, you find many USA nameplates being switched for Toyotas. I switched back in 1971 - the bad old days - of my first car. Bought a new Toyota Celica and have had carefree vehicle's (12) over the years - every single one passed backwards through the family. Each of my replacements is purchased slightly used from a single prior owner! Crappy vehicles lost my financial support - no reason to go back at this point.

By the way: Tundras are manufactured in Texas (San Antonio) by Texans.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
Check the link below. I bought an F150 for my 27FB after reading this review but you can look at all their reviews and make your own decision. The real world tow testing they do is directly applicable to our Airstreams.
http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/03/2016...llenger-video/
us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
They've added competition, which is certainly a big part of the reason there are so many good trucks out there. I bought my Ford over a Tundra and Titan, but I looked hard at them. I believe in making someone earn my dollars and if that means giving it to company like Toyota or Nissan, I have no issue with that.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I quit consulting Consumer reports twenty years ago. They are left of Lenin and totally Anti American anything. Tundra is a Johnny come lately to the Pickup Game. It gets the job done for sure, the Japanese are great copiers.
1. Ford
2. Ram
3. GM only ones that are made in the U.S. GM is building pickups in Mexico and 40% of that production is imported to the U.S. tax free.
The WSJ had a very informative article on this a few weeks ago.
FYI Tundra plant is in San Antonio, Texas. Personally I tow with a Ford.
us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:26 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
I'm grateful that there are so many good choices. Come to think of it, I'm grateful to have a truck and an AS and an almost infinite number of places to take them. Life is good.
The deciding factor in our case was the electric leather seat that my wife uses.
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64airstream View Post
Great thread and good input. The discussion brought back a funny memory from an MBA class many years ago. The professor was using her personal example of choosing a new car to demonstrate the power of a decision making tool built into Excel. You can list features important to you and rate those features on how important they are to you. Towing capacity might be more important than price point or milage for example. Excel takes care of all the calculations and delivers the result. After stepping through her entire example for her five cars and driving to a conclusion, we asked, "so which one did you buy?" She looked up, smiled and proudly said, "the red one..." Sometimes the decision is really less technical and more personal.

Good luck, enjoy the ride and many adventures in your new Airstream and TV,

Roy and Marie
That sums it up perfectly. I like mine silver :-).
Old 02-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
These vehicles are EXPENSIVE to buy and maintain. When comparing WHAT they can tow, you should also be evaluating how long they'll serve you. They all look great and ride great, BUT, at the end how much will they cost you. Anecdotally, why do you find few Toyota models being traded for traditional USA nameplates? Yet, you find many USA nameplates being switched for Toyotas. I switched back in 1971 - the bad old days - of my first car. Bought a new Toyota Celica and have had carefree vehicle's (12) over the years - every single one passed backwards through the family. Each of my replacements is purchased slightly used from a single prior owner! Crappy vehicles lost my financial support - no reason to go back at this point.

By the way: Tundras are manufactured in Texas (San Antonio) by Texans.
you switched in 1971 and never tried anything else? Just clarifying.

I had a crappy car in 1978, but it was a used Maverick and I was in college. Ever since I started buying higher end cars I've never had a single bad experience.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Ha, I'm going to recommend a '15, '16, or '17 F150 crew cab with the 3.5 ecoboost engine simply because this is what I have.....a 2015.

It's a beastly towing machine. I have 2,007 pounds of load capacity, 21 to 22 mpg. around the countryside, 11.5 mpg. towing.

With the back seats flipped up the rear is cavernous, I can pack all kinds of stuff in there. Towed our 25' flying cloud over 4,000 miles last summer, no problem.

3:31 rear, tranny cooler, integrated brake control, otherwise no frills, XLT model. No skylight, no sliding rear window, no step bars, no fancy tailgate lift, just the basics, hence, the high load capacity. It's a nice truck. I checked out the Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota, bought the Ford.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I recommend a Cadillac Escalade 2007-2014, 6.2L V8 with 403hp and 417 lb-ft of torque, 1580 lbs payload and 8300 lbs towing capacity.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
That's is correct! I had great service from Toyota vehicles. No mechanical problems - nothing to the level of problems experienced with American brands. I've wanted to try them again - BUT WHY? Many ARE great looking - but poorly engineered or built. The USA brands let Japanese manufacturers take the market by storm and the foreign brand NEVER let go. J.D. Powers and Consumer Report continually get feedback that confirms high buyer satisfaction.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
you switched in 1971 and never tried anything else? Just clarifying.

I had a crappy car in 1978, but it was a used Maverick and I was in college. Ever since I started buying higher end cars I've never had a single bad experience.
I am 73 and been owning cars since I am 18. I owned every major brand, Chevy,Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Subaru,BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes.
I drove a 1996 Tahoe for 230k trouble free miles. For our construction business strictly Fords Trucks. We were driving Ford pick ups when Toyota was shipping their crappy thin cans over here. I have gotten grate service out of everything Ford we ever owned and own and will never spend money on a "Me To" Toyota pick up. I prefer the big beautiful Ford logo on the grill. I am an American, Toyota is Japanese and I don't care where its made.
The 2012 F150 Eco Platinum we just traded for a beautiful F-250 gave us 100K absolutely trouble free miles in luxury.
At the end of the day all cars and trucks today are manufactured with the same technology the world over, they are all more durable and enjoyable longer than twenty years ago. Many manufacturers collaborate on critical components so to argue I am buying X because its more reliable is no longer true. Its what you prefer and what configuration fits most of your needs the best.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:06 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
The whole issue of which truck one chooses to drive gets really annoying. The political undertones are obvious, however, you must buy whatever suits your individual needs! Components AND manufacturers are all over the world. Too many get worked into a fuming lather if you dare to challenge the status quo. Many choices - some BETTER - came about because a fire was - literally - put under the behinds of the entrenched home grown producers.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Y'all are overthinking this. Find a good Dodge, preferably one with the optional heater for winter and 12v fan for summer and you are good to go. American muscle all the way.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	280088
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Why the fan? Doesn't it come standard with a 260 ac unit?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote