Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
Turning a corner

We’re picking up our first Airstream in two weekends.
I’m having more than a little trepidation about everything. I’ve never dragged $100k worth of merchandise down the highway before.

One of my main concerns is the layout of my driveway at home.

Here is my question:
Where can I find the distance between the hitch and the first axle of a 25FC.

The reason I’m asking is I’ve got a boat trailer that is close in size and I figure I can do some practice maneuvering in my driveway with the boat trailer to see if the Airstream will work.

At this point I’m not 100% sure.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Make sure it’s insured when you pick it up and set you mind at ease. Congratulations on your new rig!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Congrats Tom, I wish you all the best. I have a 25' rear bedroom (twin) 2015 model year Flying Cloud in my driveway, I just went out and measured the distance you asked about. From the forward axle to the approximate center of the ball coupler right at 14', give or take an inch or so. Hope that helps you in visualizing the driveway maneuvering in your future. One caution is that if your boat trailer is *not* a dual axle trailer, it will be different, and more than you think. That was one of the things I had to get familiar with. Dual axle trailers turn and maneuver differently, and its different enough that there is a slight change in how you manipulate the angle of attack, and the wheel cut, etc.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Tom, congratulations on your new FC25! It is a daunting feeling but try to not think about the $100K. I too had the same fear but just focus on getting hitched up and double-checking everything.

We have a 10’ wide pad next to our garage where we store our 27’ Globetrotter. I bought a Trailer Valet from eTrailer to fineness the trailer as close to the edge of the pad so we can still open the trailer door (it’s a tight fit).

I drop the trailer on the pad then use the Trailer Valet to back it into the space and pull it out before we pack up for a trip.

I hope another FC25 owner will provide you the dimension you’re looking for but wanted to share how I managed a tight situation.

Good luck!

PS: Are you picking up your trailer from Ewald’s in Franklin, WI?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4973A12-16C9-44AC-BCFA-A505B5D97380.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	545.2 KB
ID:	390349   Click image for larger version

Name:	1F0713D7-45A3-4D59-B1CC-B2986A356E10.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	390351  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Have you already backed the boat trailer up on this driveway? Even if it's close, you'll have the feel. You got this.

I back up my dump trailer, utility trailer, boat trailer, but the TT always feels WAY bigger. It is, but I find a lot of it is in the bulk of a TT. It looks so huge in the mirrors. And when I back one up perfect, I always think "finally, now I got this"! Until the next time, when it takes me 6-7 times to get it right.

If your on a busy street, you can look for an area to practice in. We have an industrial park near the small local airport. Pretty quite on a Sunday. It's where the kids learned how to drive a clutch and we practiced with the TT.

You the man with this Tom.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I thought this video was pretty helpful. The guy in the video is a truck driving instructor.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
First, the Airstream tows better than any trailer I've ever towed.
Backing is not an issue as long as you're careful. One spot to watch is how much you're jackknifing the truck/trailer. If your tow vehicle has a reverse camera, stop and look. Just don't dent the propane cover.
Go slow.
If you'll have a rear view camera on the trailer, it's a help backing. Don't be bashful in getting out and looking. If possible, have a spotter. Make sure the spotter talks all the way. Work out key words, avoid "No", "Slow", "Go", "Whoa" for obvious reasons. Work out "driver's side" "passenger side" rather than "left/right".
Enjoy it!

The last time I was at a favorite state park, I watched a 40' fifth wheel arrive. The husband got out and spotted while the wife backed. She was awesome! Nailed it! Not their first rodeo.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Tom, congratulations on your new FC25! It is a daunting feeling but try to not think about the $100K. I too had the same fear but just focus on getting hitched up and double-checking everything.

We have a 10’ wide pad next to our garage where we store our 27’ Globetrotter. I bought a Trailer Valet from eTrailer to fineness the trailer as close to the edge of the pad so we can still open the trailer door (it’s a tight fit).

I drop the trailer on the pad then use the Trailer Valet to back it into the space and pull it out before we pack up for a trip.

I hope another FC25 owner will provide you the dimension you’re looking for but wanted to share how I managed a tight situation.

Good luck!

PS: Are you picking up your trailer from Ewald’s in Franklin, WI?
This right here. Something like a Trailer Valet is cheap insurance in my mind if you aren't 100% comfortable backing with a truck. Especially if maneuvering in a tight spot on your own without a spotter.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Tom and welcome aboard.

We were all edgy (scared) when we picked up our first Airstream. No worries there. Two trips from now you will be as relaxed as when towing your boat.

Couple pieces of useless advice.

Be patient. Everything will work out if you are relaxed.

Keep your sense of humor close by. You're better off with a laugh and a head shake than being angry about it.

Something will always be forgotten or break. It is all part of the adventure.

The very best to you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Congrats Tom. You’ll love it.
I have towed a 5th wheel , various boat trailers, horse trailers and all kinds of utility trailers.
When I picked up our Airstream I too was very nervous. I guess because like you say it’s the most expensive thing I’ve ever towed. I quickly leaned however that the AS would be the easiest and by far the best towing experience of anything I ever owned. If your trailer is new, it should come with a backup camera. As far as cameras go, the standard Voyager camera is not the greatest by far, but it serves the purpose. Use it. Good tow mirrors on your Vehicle is a must also. With a 25’, most stock mirrors that are non-tow style probably won’t allow you to see completely down both sides of the trailer and behind it.
Good luck and enjoy!
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Lots of good advice on backing...
You are right to be concerned about corners while going down the road. Don’t go too fast at first. No one expects an Airstream to be zippy, and most folks enjoy the view (if you don’t overdo it). Tires are much more likely to develop a blister when they climb a curb at speed.
Watch out for overhead obstacles - some jurisdictions have crazy ideas about mounting roadside signs high and close to the roadway. Watch for bent edges (and missing bark from tree limbs). Fortunately, the rounded roof makes your new rig less vulnerable than an SOB.
You’ll quickly develop the knack. Notice how few A-S’s have that kind of damage?
Last comment: try to avoid parking under coconut, guava or oak trees.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
. . .
The reason I’m asking is I’ve got a boat trailer that is close in size and I figure I can do some practice maneuvering in my driveway with the boat trailer to see if the Airstream will work.
. . .
Bingo!

Our first Airstream was also a 25' which followed years of towing a similarly-sized boat trailer all over.

You should be fine . . . good mirrors really help, by the way.

Have fun!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote