Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
Towing with a 2007 Tunda

The airforums are great help, they are correct about the Tunda I am towing a 31' ft. AS Excella with a. 2007 Tunda 5.7 Eng. at 60 M.P.H getting 12 Miles Per gallon. Also a real smooth ride.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Years ago I towed an SOB with a Chev 3/4-ton Sportsvan. I remember getting 8 mpg going through the mountains in Northern Ontario. Now, I tow a 32-ft AS with a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD with the 2nd generation Cummins diesel - that's the noisy one! Every time I go through Customs I have to kill the engine so that I can hear and be heard.

However, last year I towed almost 20,000 miles, from home down to Quartzsite AZ and back, several rallies and a trip up to Sioux Lookout in Northern Ontario. The Cummins diesel easily handles all the mountains. The truck has a cap over the long bed, and I carry quite a bit of stuff, including a 3,000-watt generator.

Our car back home is a diesel VW Passat wagon - gets something like 50-55 mpg.

Because diesel engines are long stroke (needed to get the compression up), they typically turn a lot slower than gas engines and have a lot of torque. Because they turn slower than gas engines, they don't wear as much. It is not uncommon for diesel engines to go over 750,000 miles. The 350 cid engine in my old Chev Sportsvan which had a 4.10:1 rear end lasted 130,000 miles before it needed to be replaced.

Some food for thought.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
Food for thought, the Dodge is an Italian car nowadays. Fiat starting controlling them a while back.
TerryC

Ok, you got me. I thought about this comment and don't know what it has to do with whether the Dodge Ram is a good truck or not. Is being Italian owned and managed a good thing or not? The Germans certainly couldn't turn Dodge around.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #44
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Half-ton trucks are a long way from where they were not so long ago. And a 34' A/S can be pulled successfully by them . . as well as other types of vehicles. A Tundra, well set-up, should have no problems whatsoever.

The only reason to buy a pickup to pull this trailer type is the amount of junk some of us like to carry along (full-timers of several descriptions).

If a pickup is an otherwise good solo choice (defined, to be accurate, as having IRS deductible miles as otherwise an open trailer hitched to a vehicle can do all or more than a pickup), then the brand is not nearly so important except what the owner perceives it to be.

Get the one you want. The TT was the important choice for this combination.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #45

2001 25' Safari
Crowley , Texas
New guy and first post for what it's worth ...

I'm pulling a 25' rb with a '11 Tundra Crew-cab 5.7 / tow package and getting 12mpg @ 65mph /1900rpm all day every day without any issues. This is my second Tundra and I've experienced zero problems over the last five years of ownership.

Diesels and 3/4 tons and up have their place in the pecking order of things, but the Tundra drives and rides smooth and is very quiet which adds to it's utility for long range pulling in my book. Much less wear on the senses and ol'body after a long day in the saddle.

Two cents and all it's worth ...
xrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
blanco , Texas
How bout a 6-cylinder Tundra?

I'm new to the board and just bought my second Airstream last week, a 1999 23' beauty. I drive a 2006 Tundra 6 cyl extra-cab auto. I have two questions...
1.Is this enough truck to handle this trailer ?
2.How can you tell if a truck has a tow package? (mine has a factory hitch and I added electric brake controller and the round electrical plug.)
raincrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I think the 2006 was the last year of the older Tundra body style. I am also assuming that you have the 4.0L V6 which was the same engine I had in my last 4Runner. It was a great engine and pulled my 21 foot hybrid without out an issue. I think the GVW for the hybrid was very close to 5000 pounds.

The specs I have in my 2007 Tundra brochure says the 4.0L has 236 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque. My 5.7 has 381 and 401 respectively. The 2007 tundra lists a tow rating of 5000 lbs against 10,000 for the 5.7. They do not list a tow package for the V6.

If you have a tow package look for the transmission cooler which should be sitting just in front of your radiator. I had one on my 2004 4Runner. It came with the cooler, the hitch and was wired to accept both the flat 4 pronged plug as well as the round 7 pin plug.

I would guess that you will be at your upper limit if this data is correct.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #48
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rain', look on the inside of the wardrobe door for specs on trailer weight. That will help you understand how much it weighs unloaded and loaded. My list of weights for Airstreams does not show a '99 23'. The 2000 23' Safari was 4,700 lbs. dry, 6,300 GVWR and 500 lbs. hitch weight. If the '99 is the same, you are going to have some issues.

The V6 Toyota engine is a very good engine—we have it in our '06 4Runner. Check your owner's manual to see how much payload the Tundra has. Count about 2/3 of tongue weight against that plus humans, dogs, stuff in the truck.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Late to this party but thought I might chime in. You said you are pulling 27' Classic. Correct me if I am wrong but i do believe it weighs about 2,200 lbs. more than my 27FB Safari. This should be a consideration also. If I am too late, I would like to know where you landed and how it's working out for you.

Ron
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
What about payload capacity on the Tundra's? With around 1300-1400 payload capacity depending on model Tundra and 770 tongue weight on the 27, there is not a lot of room left for people, hitch and other cargo. This is even tighter then what im looking at with F150's.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
HeadWest, this is the issue that I refer to every time I post about my Tundra. My 2008 5.7 is set up to tow. It has plenty of power, a strong transmission, great brakes and all the electronic tow/haul stuff you would ever need. It will pull a 27 ft. Airstream without question. What it WON'T do is pull it and allow you to pile in the people, pets, firewood, 4 wheelers, generators and all that other stuff many like to bring along.

It is a half ton and will be limited by payload before anything else. People focus on the weight of their trailers and compare them to the "tow rating" for the truck and figure they are good to go.

You said something about a payload capacity of 1400 pounds. The wife and I come in a tad under 300 lbs (total), we put our gear in the trailer and load a Honda generator in the back, a couple of bikes, some wood if we are headed into the mountains and some odds and ends. We are under the capacity of this truck but not by much. There have been times when we bring the grandkids and some extra stuff but still feel safe.

Before you decide on a TV look close at how you camp and what you take with you. I really like my Tundra because it fits our style nicely.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Found my dream truck. Almost! Wanted a long bed 4x2 Double Cab Tundra. Found a Double Cab 2008 Tundra, 5.7L, Standard Bed with Tow package 4x2.
Only has 9100 miles on it. Bought it!
It will replace my '98 Dodge 2500 4x2 Club Cab with a long box.
Looking forward to hitting the road this summer.
We don't carry a lot of stuff. 2 people, one dog, 14 gallons of water, BBQ, trailer spare and some tools.
Since the standard bed has more load carrying capacity than the long bed. We have room to spare.
Also bought an Andersen WD hitch. Never towed using a WD hitch in my 47 years of trailer towing. Hope I can tell the difference.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We really liked our F150's triton engine ... but towing with an automatic trans, it could never decide which gear (even with the OD locked out) it wanted while we play in the Rockies AND we yearned for the ease of pulling with a diesel. As our payload changed (aerial rpv photog helo in the truck bed), so did our ability to attack the mountain passes. So, that mandated a 3/4 T as none of the manufacturers build a 1/2 T with a diesel. The diesel is FANTASTIC as a TV and all the various trailers pretty much disappear behind us while towing... especially uphill. When you assess the suggestions ask if the folks offering an opinion have actual experience WITH BOTH the gas and diesel TVs... otherwise, it is moot and bias is introduced into the argument. There are al lot of great choices out there for TV, but there are also many variables to consider before choosing.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #54
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
When you assess the suggestions ask if the folks offering an opinion have actual experience WITH BOTH the gas and diesel TVs... otherwise, it is moot and bias is introduced into the argument.
I think everyone (except me) is biased. Some people have had diesel and went back to gas too.

When you read posts on Forums, most every answer is subjective and anecdotal and you have to sort through them. If someone has a unbiased study to report of whatever is the topic, then those posts may be objective. Plenty of studies are biased too.

Mefly2, I'm glad you have the truck that works for you. I think the problem with your previous truck may have been the transmission and not necessarily the engine. If the transmission was computer controlled, it should have been programmed to avoid gear searching. As I've written before, our gas truck does not search for gears and pulls effortlessly over the Rockies. We can leave everyone who is towing behind us too if we want to get 3 mpg. So we go a bit slower and get there a couple of minutes later. Everyone has different needs and it appears your reason for a 3/4 ton was payload—a good point since 1/2 ton trucks have payload limits which for some people are insurmountable. Like you say there are "many variables to consider before choosing".

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
So Gene, does this mean the Crawford Chamber of Commerce has asked you to cease and desist so you had to change your Forums handle? Or is this in anticipation of becoming SantaFeGene?

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #56
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dana, I doubt the local CofC knows I exist. Anyway, shorter names are cool and easier to type. We decided we were getting priced out of the Santa Fe market (also less crime and traffic). We are looking 75 miles west of here.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

It is a half ton and will be limited by payload before anything else. People focus on the weight of their trailers and compare them to the "tow rating" for the truck and figure they are good to go.
I completely agree. When we camp fully loaded, especially with my Ducati in the truck bed, we are essentially right at the rear axle and gross vehicle weight rating of my 2008 Tundra 5.7L double cab truck and our loaded trailer only weighs 5,000 lbs.

I would like to see an asterisk added to the max trailer towing number to tell the buyer to make sure that he checks the rear axle loading and the gross vehicle loading requirements. Or just tell him that the max trailer towing spec is with nothing in the truck and him driving alone in his underwear and about to run out of fuel.

TG Twinkie

I have about the same truck and I love mine. Is your shift lever on the floor? I find that this really makes it convenient for down shifting when driving down mountain roads. As Gene has noted- plenty of power if you want to pay for gas. We average 13 mpg towing and drive gently.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
TouringDan;
Yes the shift lever is on the floor. I like it there, especially after driving 5 speed manual transmission trucks since 1985. Still trying to remember there is no clutch.
Haven't hitched it to the trailer yet. But have been getting 18+ mpg in a combo of Hwy and in town driving.
Looking forward to hitching it up. Now that I have the tow mirrors installed and air bags on the rear axle.
With just 2 people and 1 dog. We will be fine with the payload capacity.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post

I completely agree. When we camp fully loaded, especially with my Ducati in the truck bed, we are essentially right at the rear axle and gross vehicle weight rating of my 2008 Tundra 5.7L double cab truck and our loaded trailer only weighs 5,000 lbs.

I would like to see an asterisk added to the max trailer towing number to tell the buyer to make sure that he checks the rear axle loading and the gross vehicle loading requirements. Or just tell him that the max trailer towing spec is with nothing in the truck and him driving alone in his underwear and about to run out of fuel.

TG Twinkie

I have about the same truck and I love mine. Is your shift lever on the floor? I find that this really makes it convenient for down shifting when driving down mountain roads. As Gene has noted- plenty of power if you want to pay for gas. We average 13 mpg towing and drive gently.

Dan
Dan you are right on about your Tundra , I added a K&N air filter & that bumped up the mileage about 3 mpg on my Tundra, the filter is a little high on price but that will be the last filter you will need to buy. When the filter gets dirty you purchase a kit to clean your K&N filter be sure to go lite on the oil you spray on the filter so you will get better gas mileage.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbeavers View Post
Dan you are right on about your Tundra , I added a K&N air filter & that bumped up the mileage about 3 mpg on my Tundra, the filter is a little high on price but that will be the last filter you will need to buy. When the filter gets dirty you purchase a kit to clean your K&N filter be sure to go lite on the oil you spray on the filter so you will get better gas mileage.
Robert

are you talking about just the KN filter that runs about $85 or did you have to change out the intake and put in the KN intake that runs in the $360's? I'd gladly pay $86 bucks for a 3 mpg increase especially when towing....

thanks
Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote