Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #61
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I just added the K&N filter, but didn't get very much mileage increase. It was hard to tell because I did it when the truck was new and I didn't have much to compare. On a 4 Runner, I did get as much as 1/2 mpg increase. To me the major advantage is I don't have to buy another one and any mpg increase is a bonus.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #62
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Might want to do the white glove test on the air intake past that filter. They are notorious for allowing dust past them . . the size particle size that wears out engines fastest.

K&N can show good results on an oil analysis test (along with some other brands), but it's a crapshoot.

I guarantee I wouldn't use one on a non-race vehicle (and I was using them 30-years ago).

Improper cleaning and re-oiling leads to yet further problems.

An air filter is ten times more important than an oil filter as the latter barely works as a filter (more of a screen, in effect). This is not true of the air filter. Proper functioning is vital.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #63
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Certainly on a technical theoretical level I can see no reason a K&N filter would increase fuel economy significantly.

Under 99 percent of driving, the throttle plate is serving as an intentional restriction. A desired level of engine output dictates a given level of intake manifold vacuum to achieve that output. The engine doesn't care whether the restriction is from the throttle plate or the very minor level of restriction from the stock air filter.

The only time the K&N could give a smidge better fuel economy is at wide open throttle at high RPM, engine at open loop, and the extra air could give a slightly leaner mixture. This scenario is vanishingly low in the overall amount of fuel consumed.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Thanks for weighing in on this, I think i will save my money.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #65

2010 27' FB International
Encinitas , California
Tundra and 27 Airstream

Dave
I towed a 27FB Airstream with my 2007 Tundra 5.7 for about 5,000 miles. The Tundra power but I always felt a little uneasy as the loaded AS approaches the limit of the Tundra. I also had air bad spring helpers installed.

I traded the 27 AS for a 30 and towed with the same Tundra and a ProPride hitch. It was always uncomfortable. Also I got somewhere around 8 MPG with the Tundra.

I recently moved to a Ford 350 (long bed) to also be able to load my 1200 CC motorcycle in the truck and also tow the airstream. It is like night and day difference. Very stable and one hand on the highway is comfortable. I also have gone from 7-8 MPG to about 13 MPG with the diesel in the Ford.

I love my Tundra but it was not the right vehicle to tow the 30 airstream and the significantly increased milage with the diesel more that makes up for the slightly higher fuel price.

Good luck and enjoy your package whatever your final decision.
fbrown92024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Took a short trip a couple of weeks ago, only 340 miles. The '74 Argosy 26' towed like a dream behind the 08 Tundra. Driving on slush covered roads after waking up on the last day with +1 degree temps. I averaged 12.8 mpg.
Planning a 4,000 miles trip in late May early June. Really looking forward to it with the Tundra.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Love for everyone to weigh their vehicles, fully loaded on the scales, some might be amazed at how much weight is sitting on tow vehicles axels - often exceeding the limitations!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrown92024 View Post
Dave
I towed a 27FB Airstream with my 2007 Tundra 5.7 for about 5,000 miles. The Tundra power but I always felt a little uneasy as the loaded AS approaches the limit of the Tundra. I also had air bad spring helpers installed.

I traded the 27 AS for a 30 and towed with the same Tundra and a ProPride hitch. It was always uncomfortable. Also I got somewhere around 8 MPG with the Tundra.

I recently moved to a Ford 350 (long bed) to also be able to load my 1200 CC motorcycle in the truck and also tow the airstream. It is like night and day difference. Very stable and one hand on the highway is comfortable. I also have gone from 7-8 MPG to about 13 MPG with the diesel in the Ford.

I love my Tundra but it was not the right vehicle to tow the 30 airstream and the significantly increased milage with the diesel more that makes up for the slightly higher fuel price.

Good luck and enjoy your package whatever your final decision.
Dave, good to see a towing story that mirrored my experience with a 30 AS behind my 2011 Chevy 1500 crew cab with the 6.2 403 hp V8 gas. I loved that truck and by itself it would sit you back in your seat if you wanted it to. With the 30 Flying Cloud I would get 8mpg and the 1/2 ton always felt like it was getting pushed around more than I liked. Traded for a Chevy 2500 HD, Duramax and the tow is great--the trailer now follows the truck instead of feeling like it's competing for control. The instant acceleration is now there when you need it. I power up hills most always without a shift and on interstates, when traffic permits, I set 70 on the cruise control and just go. MPG at that speed will come in at 12mpg.

I believe the 1/2 ton gas would have done the job, but limits were really being pushed: such as, I replaced the factory hitch receiver with a class IV because Chevy told me the tongue weight limit for factory receiver was 600#.

Howard
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
[QUOTE=tpi;1260435]Under 99 percent of driving, the throttle plate is serving as an intentional restriction. A desired level of engine output dictates a given level of intake manifold vacuum to achieve that output. The engine doesn't care whether the restriction is from the throttle plate or the very minor level of restriction from the stock air filter.[QUOTE]

Very true - except for the newly introduced use of direct injection that gasoline engines now utilize ala diesels.... Makes for an interesting changing world!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I tow with a Tundra and find it very safe and secure. True, if I go 70 mph I only get 7 mpg. Therefore, I don't go 70. I go 55 mpg and get 10-12 mpg depending on wind. Between the Tundra and the Ram I would have to say Tumdra. I looked at a Ram before I bought the Tundra. The fit and finish of the Tundra seemed a little better to me. I do not like the 2014 Silverado.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
(I go 55 mpg)

You and everyone towing with a Tundra seem to like the truck, so I have no doubt it must be a great 1/2 ton. 55 on Texas highways would be pretty intimidating, however. You would be blown past by even grandma. (You know Texans, we think big, fast and everybody carries a gun.) If you haven't, I would suggest contacting Toyota and find out what the load rating for the factory hitch receiver is--specifically the tongue wt. rating. Your 30 Classic is about as heavy as you can get with the new ASs. and I think you are 773# laying on that receiver--empty trailer. Tundra may be OK. 1/2 ton Chevy was not.

Howard
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Not sure why you say that about a Chev 1/2 ton, the receiver can easily handle that. It seems the limitation on the 1/2 ton comes with how much stuff you can load in the truck once you add that tongue weight...not a lot.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
(I go 55 mpg)

You and everyone towing with a Tundra seem to like the truck, so I have no doubt it must be a great 1/2 ton. 55 on Texas highways would be pretty intimidating, however. You would be blown past by even grandma. (You know Texans, we think big, fast and everybody carries a gun.) If you haven't, I would suggest contacting Toyota and find out what the load rating for the factory hitch receiver is--specifically the tongue wt. rating. Your 30 Classic is about as heavy as you can get with the new ASs. and I think you are 773# laying on that receiver--empty trailer. Tundra may be OK. 1/2 ton Chevy was not.

Howard
It was a trip to Texas that made me decide to go 55. I went 70 going to Texas and got 7 mpg. I went 55 coming home and got 10. Let everybody, including school buses, go around me because I don't want to take the hit in the hip pocket.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
(I go 55 mpg)

Howard
My boss has a 2011 Silverado with the 6.2 motor. It doesn't accelerate nearly as quickly as my Tundra. He had a 20' car hauling trailer with a small John Deere tractor hooked up the other day. The truck and trailer had a severe swag in the middle and the motor was screaming to accelerate. I have hauled this same trailer and tractor with a Duramax and a 1 ton with the 5.7 and they towed it much easier. I have towed an enclosed cargo trailer with 2 Harley's behind the Tundra like the trailer wasn't even there with limousine room in the back seat.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #75
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I would give the Ford F150, 3.5L a very serious look. Power of a V8 in a 6 cylinder engine. When not hooked up then really good fuel milage. If you get serious make sure you specify the 36 gallon tank.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
We used to tow a 28 Safari with our Tundra. Now we tow a 31 Classic. At 80,000 miles on the odometer it,s our TV and a personal car. We would never buy any other brand. It tows the 31 better than it did our 28.
It takes turns like no other truck. The bed is full of my husband,s cooking equipment and the trailer is filled with stuff. We travel 5 months a year.
On flat terrain we do 12-13 mpg.
Libo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Just bought a 2013 Tundra 5.7L CrewMax. It tows awesome for a 1/2 ton. I looked at Ford, and towing specs were better with the Toyota. Mileage is around 10 with E85 and 12 with gas. We had a 2006 4.7L Tundra and it's mileage was 10, but it was hard on the transmission.
dhtullos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I have a 2001 Tundra now and tow our 27FB Safari. No issues. Does it pull a 7 or 8% grade at 70 MPH? No but it does fine for now. I am currently looking at the 2013 Tundra. I think it is a great truck. While it is called a 1/2 ton, look at the ring gear and breaks. The 10.5" ring gear is 3/4 ton material. Large breaks and calipers. Don't be fooled by the 1/2 ton status.
The Ford ecoboost is also a good truck but things I am reading say they are having issues in high humidity regions like areas of Washington state.
One more thing...read the article on AS towing in the Winter edition of Airstream Life. VERY informative.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I have a 2001 Tundra now and tow our 27FB Safari. No issues. Does it pull a 7 or 8% grade at 70 MPH? No but it does fine for now. I am currently looking at the 2013 Tundra. I think it is a great truck. While it is called a 1/2 ton, look at the ring gear and breaks. The 10.5" ring gear is 3/4 ton material. Large breaks and calipers. Don't be fooled by the 1/2 ton status.
The Ford ecoboost is also a good truck but things I am reading say they are having issues in high humidity regions like areas of Washington state.
One more thing...read the article on AS towing in the Winter edition of Airstream Life. VERY informative.
If you are looking at a 2013 please wait till the restyled 2014 is available to make a decision. The drivetrain and doors will be the same, but it will have a new front cap, bed, interior, and new color choices (although silver is the only color for me).
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Son in law bought a Dodge diesel and loved the Cummins but that truck beat a person to death. He bought a Ford and loves it. In a jealous moment, I bought a new 2013 Ford 250 diesel and am crazy about it. Rides as well as my F-150 did, and the diesel is great. We all have an opinion, and that's all this is, but riding in Brent's Dodge you knew you were in a truck. The Ford is wonderful. I'd rather take the Ford 250 on a drive than my wife's BMW. JMHO.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote