Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Edgewood , New Mexico
Truck tailgate too long for 2013 25' FC FB

My new Dodge 2500 diesel TV tailgate is too long to clear my 2013 25' FC FB powered tongue jack by a couple of inches. Looks like I could turn the tongue jack 90 degrees so the tongue jack motor is to the side to provide a good 3 inches of additional clearance. The narrower remaining round portion of the jack looks like it is far enough back for the necessary clearance. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? Really do not need the built-in jack light facing forward if this would solve the clearance problem. Do not want to purchase a longer hitch bar for the Reese WD tow system. Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary
High Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Barker Jack? They can be turned easily. I think you will have to recalibrate the gear syncing. The instructions are in the jack manual or on the barker website

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Gary, this seems to be a common issue. I have seen several jacks turned sideways to clear the tailgate.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I would turn it if possible. My tailgate on my Dodge will not clear my hitch but, I do not have a powered hitch so cannot turn it. I have an Avion. I just pad the jack to lower the jack part way. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Just worked on my power jack, had it all apart and off the trailer at one point. I can tell you that if you have a power jack you can rotate the head to a better position, mine was to the driver/street side when i got it and it's back there after reassembling the jack. There are 2 allen screws under the jack head that holds it in place, if you loosen them the head rotates easily, then just retighten them where you want the head to point. I'd position it so that the switch is to the driver/street side so it's easier when hitching. The small 90degree rotation shouldn't require retiming the jack head.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
good excuse to get a Hensley or Propride. Those hitches move the tongue about a foot back of the tow vehicle. I like that and of course they work really well.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If turning the jack head doesn't buy enough either redrilling your current hitch shank or getting a longer one is also an option. My dodge tailgate (2013) clears my jack by about an inch. I am using a Curt 7 inch? drop shank
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Welcome High Cloud

Hi Gary,
Welcome to the Air Forums, and welcome to Airstreaming.
Allow me to be the first to invite you to join the Four Corners Unit of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International.
Contact Terry Rich our Membership Chair for more info: TERRY@TBRICH.COM
Then, plan on joining us for the Thanksgiving Rally 27 Nov - 1 December at Lost Dutchman State Park in AZ
and/or
The New Year's Rally at Picacho Peak State Park, AZ 28 Dec - 1 Jan 2014.
The Four Corners Unit is dedicated to taking Airstreams to scenic places, to meet interesting people, and to have fun. The annual Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Rally is one of our signature events.

Happy Trails and good luck with that electric jack. (I believe the solution is to turn it 90 degrees. Mine came that way.)
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
I purchased a new 2013 Ram 3500 (non dually) back in July, and then a 27FB Eddie Bauer, and had the same issue. The jack just needs a few hex screws loosened and then swiveled 90 degrees. Don't forget to retighten :-)

I also added a FlipJack the same day and have no worries.
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Ditto's on the folks that said simple job of rotating the head on my '12 FC (same jack) any questions feel free to pm me.