Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2022, 09:20 PM   #81
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Last night I saw the best of EV owners do understand range anxiety.

As I was coming out of a restaurant a flatbed tow truck shows up in the parking lot with a Tesla on the back, trying to figure out a way to back into a charging spot so the owner (who must have run out of power) is standing there with the "oh crap" look on his face. The problem also appeared the tow-truck pulled the car onto the truck, which would then back the car into the charging spot when dropping it, not allowing the cable to reach the unit.

I guess the days of walking for a gallon of gas is over for some.

Now, how do you handle that problem above with an Airstream hooked too the back, is another story.

Enjoy,
That doesn’t sound like range anxiety, more like range exceeded.

It would make more sense IMO to use a vehicle to vehicle jump. A Lightning would work well. And for the owner to learn not to ignore all the messages on the dash.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:25 PM   #82
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingDan View Post

The Tesla is an outlier, I don’t know what to think about that, need to deeper dive in the data, but maybe because sedans are so efficient it makes up for the small battery.
Depends which Tesla, but ours has a drag coefficient of 0.23 and a smaller frontal area than the other vehicles mentioned.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:37 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
AAA roadside service now has a (limited) number of mobile charging units that provide enough charge to get you to a fixed charging station.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:20 AM   #84
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
What was the starting tongue weight of this trailer? Is this the trailer which you pulled the a/c, spare, etc. to streamline? If so, what was the starting tongue weight before the mods vs. after?

When you say 400 pounds, are you saying that in total the tow vehicle is only carrying 400 pounds from the trailer?

It's an interesting write up in your article, but it sounds like you had to base your navigation and stopping points on where there were superchargers rather than on where you wanted to go. How much of the time was this changing where you would have driven had you had the ability to find a fuel stop as easily as it currently to find a gas station? We find ourselves making a lot of spontaneous route variations at the last minute, and never really give pause to whether or not there is a gas station since they are ubiquitous. Until that's the case with superchargers, how much restriction did you find to being spontaneous?

If you’re doing a meandering trip then you should have time to charge in campground’s etc. You could carry or rent a 3000 watt generator as well for remote travel but largely electricity is almost everywhere.

2 years ago we travelled to a friend’s remote acreage with no power. We had power to get there but not enough to get back to a supercharger. The small town 10 miles away had a slow charger I could have topped up with in 3 hours. However we met the farmer across the road gave him a bottle of wine and plugged into his garage for the weekend.

This year there are two superchargers on the route so a non issue.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:26 AM   #85
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernVista View Post
What about Model X vs S? Minor differences or significant?

I have a Rivian R1S (SUV) on order but easily convinced to stay Tesla…

Cheers!

Chris

The X is the same chassis platform as the S we have 8 customers with them.
It performs very similar to the S. It trades a little of the sports car handling for a smoother ride. A bit less range solo but it appears to be about the same towing.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:20 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
The X is the same chassis platform as the S we have 8 customers with them.
It performs very similar to the S. It trades a little of the sports car handling for a smoother ride. A bit less range solo but it appears to be about the same towing.
Thanks Andy; do you have any of those customers you mention you helped modify their Tessla's, towing AS's? If so, what sizes? Would be interesting to get their experiences here on the Forum.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:32 PM   #87
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Thanks Andy; do you have any of those customers you mention you helped modify their Tesla's, towing AS's? If so, what sizes? Would be interesting to get their experiences here on the Forum.
I think it would be great to hear from more people towing with EVs, including Tesla vehicles.

One caution would be that over the past 12 years I have been here, many of CanAm's customers have posted on their real world towing experiences, and often those posters have been ridiculed by people who don't believe it is safe, or possible, to tow with other than a larger, heavier tow vehicle.

Posters withidl (BMW X5, 31 Classic); MrUKToad (Toyota Sienna, AS28), Andreasduess (Honda Odyssey, AS34) all come to mind.

Sometimes people get tired of defending their decisions, and the posters above each had over 10 years of experience safely and comfortably towing with vehicles that others considered inappropriate.

If we want experiences to be shared by people, we should be prepared to learn from them IMO.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:24 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
JCL:

Looks like you have been on this website for a long time, which is 10 and not 12 years as you said but it is still a really long time. It also looks like you are one of the most active daily people on here as well! An average of 1.1 posts per day for 10 years and thats a lot! My guess is that with that many posts you have a ton of experience with towing a travel trailer/Airstream with many different tow vehicles? It would be interesting to know what Airstreams or other travel trailers you have towed and with what vehicles? Do you tow now with an electric vehicle? Is it a Tesla? What travel trailers have you towed with it now or in the past? Where do you tow, on the flats or in the mountains? Seems like you have so much information on Tesla and the Canadian CanAm tow place that maybe you had worked for them or towed a bunch with those two?

I read a whole lot of the discussions on this website and saw that lots of the "electric truck" or vehicle ones I searched for information in were discussions that turned into an off-topic, "you know what" show with lots of "you know what" measuring contests. Many ended up being totally dumb and a waste of time for anyone looking for actual information on an electric truck that towed or for real-world electric vehicle towing experience. Like those discussions this one is not about all the off-topic stuff but seems like it was at least intended to be a discussion about electric truck towing weight and not about Tesla sedans or other sport utility vehicles that are not electric towing a trailer. Maybe the RV Life Pro or Airforums people can add an electric car area where people can chat and give their theories on off-topic electric vehicle thoughts, politics and the environment to their heart's content and leave the Airstream and towing threads to questions about Airstreams/towing and experience with both? Seems like there is enough interest in going back and forth about tangential stuff on non-gas vehicles that having an area like that would keep other discussions more on track, more streamlined and in line with what the community rules say is expected? Would make it way easier to not have to sort through all the other junk that should probably be kept somewhere else.

Just some food for thought!
JetstreamAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #89
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetstreamAS View Post
JCL:

<snip>

PM sent. Returning now to regular programming

Jeff
Old 11-07-2022, 09:04 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetstreamAS View Post
JCL:

Looks like you have been on this website for a long time, which is 10 and not 12 years as you said but it is still a really long time. It also looks like you are one of the most active daily people on here as well! An average of 1.1 posts per day for 10 years and thats a lot! My guess is that with that many posts you have a ton of experience with towing a travel trailer/Airstream with many different tow vehicles? It would be interesting to know what Airstreams or other travel trailers you have towed and with what vehicles? Do you tow now with an electric vehicle? Is it a Tesla? What travel trailers have you towed with it now or in the past? Where do you tow, on the flats or in the mountains? Seems like you have so much information on Tesla and the Canadian CanAm tow place that maybe you had worked for them or towed a bunch with those two?

I read a whole lot of the discussions on this website and saw that lots of the "electric truck" or vehicle ones I searched for information in were discussions that turned into an off-topic, "you know what" show with lots of "you know what" measuring contests. Many ended up being totally dumb and a waste of time for anyone looking for actual information on an electric truck that towed or for real-world electric vehicle towing experience. Like those discussions this one is not about all the off-topic stuff but seems like it was at least intended to be a discussion about electric truck towing weight and not about Tesla sedans or other sport utility vehicles that are not electric towing a trailer. Maybe the RV Life Pro or Airforums people can add an electric car area where people can chat and give their theories on off-topic electric vehicle thoughts, politics and the environment to their heart's content and leave the Airstream and towing threads to questions about Airstreams/towing and experience with both? Seems like there is enough interest in going back and forth about tangential stuff on non-gas vehicles that having an area like that would keep other discussions more on track, more streamlined and in line with what the community rules say is expected? Would make it way easier to not have to sort through all the other junk that should probably be kept somewhere else.

Thanks; well put. I thought it was just me who noticed this irregularity of posting's by a non AS owner, bloviating. I guess it's all good as long as we can learn something...even if there is no actual experience towing an AS involved.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-08-2022, 06:09 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I think it would be great to hear from more people towing with EVs, including Tesla vehicles.
Happy to add my two-cents...FWIW.

We've towed our Bowlus with our Tesla Model X for at least 25K miles over the last five years. Our trailer is 24' long with a GVWR of 3500 lbs. We use the stock OEM hitch and tow on the ball with no WD.

Without the trailer our range is ~300 miles to dead empty on a full charge. With the trailer our range is ~200 miles to dead empty on a full charge. I believe the longest we've actually travelled between charges was ~170 miles (not to dead empty).

A cross country trip we took earlier this year was ~7k miles over five weeks. This included our return leg of 2500 miles in five days. This trip included both boondocking and serviced campgrounds.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:47 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Thanks; well put. I thought it was just me who noticed this irregularity of posting's by a non AS owner, bloviating. I guess it's all good as long as we can learn something...even if there is no actual experience towing an AS involved.
Bloviating? Do you mean like chiming in on every EV thread without actually owning an EV? I can see that.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:02 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Bloviating? Do you mean like chiming in on every EV thread without actually owning an EV? I can see that.
Yes, like chiming in on every EV thread here with no actual experience related to owning/towing an Airstream with an EV. As been stated before by others, this is the Airstream Forum, right? You would hope/think folks following/posting on the AS Forum would have some experience to contribute from owning/towing an AS beneficial to owners, right? Or they are seriously looking to purchase and trying to learn from owners.

The post above is the kind of post that is very interesting/useful about the Tessla towing his Bolus. Not an AS, but close enough, right? Be good to get more data from him on pit stops for charging, and inconveniences, where he has traveled, and recommendations if he had to do it again.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:33 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Here is a video on what TFL likes and dislikes on the Hummer EV. They talk about charging times and also towing and towing range.

and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:40 AM   #95
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
A review of the Ford towing three different trailers - 3k, 5k, & 8k - put range at around a whopping 100 miles at highway speeds …
Sticking with our diesel until EV trucks become practical …
IrisnGerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:00 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Here is another towing test and not on the IKE just normal overland towing. This video has some good information if you are on the fence about buying a EV or Diesel for towing. This Hummer has 300 amp battery that weights in at 3000 pounds.

and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post
Happy to add my two-cents...FWIW.

We've towed our Bowlus with our Tesla Model X for at least 25K miles over the last five years. Our trailer is 24' long with a GVWR of 3500 lbs. We use the stock OEM hitch and tow on the ball with no WD.

Without the trailer our range is ~300 miles to dead empty on a full charge. With the trailer our range is ~200 miles to dead empty on a full charge. I believe the longest we've actually travelled between charges was ~170 miles (not to dead empty).

A cross country trip we took earlier this year was ~7k miles over five weeks. This included our return leg of 2500 miles in five days. This trip included both boondocking and serviced campgrounds.
Thanks for the information. The Bowlus is pretty light weight compared to the AS's, except perhaps the Bambi or Basecamp models. Reading about the Model X for towing, seems you can get up to 5K lbs. capability, but has a 2" ball in the tow hitch as standard with their tow package? Did you have to install trailer brakes after market or was that standard with the trailer package?

From what I have read, the range issue is when driving in hills/mountains. What was your experience with range and where did you travel with your longest trip cross country and did you have to plan around charging stations or did you just wing it?
Old 11-10-2022, 12:43 PM   #98
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
What was your experience with range and where did you travel with your longest trip cross country and did you have to plan around charging stations or did you just wing it?
You will find many answers to your questions here in this thread on idoco's cross country trip.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ck-234238.html
Old 11-10-2022, 02:48 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
On topic here’s a vid about tongue weights and pro pride

Pro Pride hitch weights

Looks like a good demonstration of how the hitch counts as tongue weight, sorry don’t know to embed videos here
DrivingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:21 PM   #100
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingDan View Post
On topic here’s a vid about tongue weights and pro pride

Pro Pride hitch weights

Looks like a good demonstration of how the hitch counts as tongue weight, sorry don’t know to embed videos here

Click the button that says "Watch on Youtube" , eg not the embedded version. Copy the link. Paste it in your post.