Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #1

2020 22' Caravel
Edwards , CO
Transitioning from SUV/TT setup to Truck/AS, need new WDH system?

We have a 2018 Audi Q7 that we use to tow a GeoPro 19FBS TT. We are purchasing a AS 2021 Caravel 22' and will be trading in the Audi for a RAM 1500. On our current setup we have a Equalizer 2 point WD with sway bars. Do I need a new WDH? What do you recommend? We would prefer one that its more forgiving when going on gravel roads since we live and tow in Colorado. Thanks!
rhanrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
I haven't used an Equalizer, but most weight distribution hitches can be tuned for different combos by changing spring bars. The system that i have used for decades is the Reese dual cam. I would probably start with my 600 lb bars if I was setting up the Ram and Caravelle.

As for ride and wear on your AS, have you considered disconnecting the spring bars when driving on gravel?
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

The choice/sizing of the WDH is mostly based upon the tongue weight and the total trailer weight. I use an Equalizer hitch as well, and it has the 1000 lb bars. When I got my hitch, I was told that these bars would handle trailers with a tongue weight "up-to" 1000 lbs, so even though my tongue weight is currently well below that, and even when completely loaded shouldn't exceed 600 lbs (by much), the 1000 lb bars should be fine.

I believe that Equilizer makes a hitch sized for 400 and 600 lb tongue weights as well, so you will have to check and see what you actually have, and find out the actual tongue weight of your loaded trailer will be. If you have a 1000 lb hitch, then it may be fine--just will need to be set up for your new combination of trailer and TV. If not, and you need stronger bars, it may mean replacing the entire hitch--check with Equilizer's website for guidance--I recall a "break-over" point with their equipment where above a certain weight, you had to replace the entire assembly rather than just the spring bars.

The bars in most weight distribution hitches are springs. Any spring bar can be loaded to distribute the weight on your tongue to the front wheels of the vehicle, but the thicker the spring, the less "give" it is going to have. For that reason, matching your hitch to the actual expected tongue weight of the trailer is going to be your ideal case. For example if you know your tongue weight will never exceed 500 lbs, then getting a hitch rated to 600 lbs is a better fit than getting one for 1000 lbs. When going over uneven surfaces like gravel roads, the softer (600 lb) bars are going to make a less rigid connection between the vehicle and the trailer. But again, if you are driving slowly, and the road is quite rough, then it may make sense to disconnect the spring bars altogether.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Cincinnati , OH
Hitch strategy

IMO, some RVERS think that because their trailer are either small, or their TV are humonusely oversized they don't need a WDH.
We are leading toward a Caravell 22, pulled by a Medium Duty Short Wheel Base SUV vehicle. We planning on using a Hensley Swift Cub hitch. Some may think that this is overkill, but because of the TV's Short WB and the Single Trailer Axle, the possibility of Swag/JackKnifing increases, especially on Wet/Icy roads and emergency situations. If you can move the Car's/Trailer's pivot point from the Hitches Ball forward you have made a huge improvement! This is precisely what the Hensley and the Propride type hitch does, great idea!
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Equalizer should have the information that you need on their website, I have made upgrades to my BluOx hitch over the years as I have upgraded TT and TV. Primarily I purchased heavier bars for my AS and when I purchased a larger/taller TV I purchased a longer shank to level my AS when hooked up. You may have similar issues with your hitch but once upgraded and properly set up you will ready to roll with the hitch you are most familiar with.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Cincinnati , OH
Hitch Objectives

IMHO, if you start by listing what you expect from your TV/TT performance/safety as well as the Hitch, I think that will help in deciding what Hitch system to select.
It has been by experience that people focus on the Weight Transfer characteristics and the built in Friction, within the WDH, to Control Sway. All this at the lowest cost! These are all good objective, but they don't completely eliminate all the dangers! I want many of these same characteristics, plus!
1. I want to provide the best Weight Transfer possible!
2. I want to ELIMINATE Trailer Sway and the possibility of the Trailer Jack Knifing completely! I believe the chances of these two occurring are greater with Short Wheel Base TV and single axle TT. This is especially true on Wet/Icy roads with High Winds, not to mention Emergency Maneuvers. When you understand the principles behind the Hensley and Propride Hitches you will see that their hitches accomplishes this!
3. As far a cost is concerned, I've got a quotes from Hensley, for their Swift Cub model, for $1800.00. Yes, this is higher than a regular WDH, but when you consider the benefits, it makes sense. The only downside that I know of, is that it adds around 90 lbs to the Tongue Weight, which is huge.
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote