Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2004, 05:02 AM   #1

Trailer vs 5th Wheel

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in the Archives: I've had experience driving a 26' motorhome, but am considering full timing and want to do it in a trailer. It's been recommended that I get a 5th Wheel--which I understand are rare as hen's teeth in Air Streams--because I'm told 5th's are easier to maneuver, MUCH easier to hitch up and less likely to have "typical" trailer problems while driving down the hwy (sway, etc.,).

That said, I'm still very drawn to the quality of Air Streams, especially the "vintage" models.

So please tell me the pros and cons for a single woman being able to hitch up, pull (with a 1 ton diesel pickup) and control a 29' (or so) Air Stream on the highway.

thanks,
JD
chumleys_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, women can go it alone with an Airstream.
Check out Hunter Hampton's web site;
http://members.aol.com/airstm2268/excella.htm

You go girl!

Barb
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumleys_mom
I'm told 5th's are easier to maneuver
This seems a little odd. Fifth-wheels and travel trailers maneuver differently, but one would be hard pressed to find absolute superiority in either.

Quote:
, MUCH easier to hitch up
Again, this is a matter of observing differences between the two, not of superiority. Neither is very hard to hitch/unhitch, but they're a lot different from one another.

Quote:
and less likely to have "typical" trailer problems while driving down the hwy (sway, etc.,).
Yes, I will give it to the fifth-wheel that it is generally less prone to sway on the highway when compared to a travel trailer that is pulled only with a simple ball. However, without a great deal of expense or difficulty, you can find more specialized hitching devices for the travel trailer that make it a great deal more stable.

Lynn
Old 07-03-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Just noticed that there is a fifth wheel up for auction on EBay.
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:09 PM   #5

Does anyone here have an AS 5th wheel? Did you have a regular AS trailer before; if so, how do the two compare? What's the layout?....is the living room larger or are there just two bedrooms?
chumleys_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
1978 24' Argosy 24
Olympia , Washington
You could buy/install a Pullrite hitch.No sway,works like a 5th wheel hitch.
LTD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Trailer vs 5th Wheel

Greetings JD!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumleys_mom

That said, I'm still very drawn to the quality of Air Streams, especially the "vintage" models.

So please tell me the pros and cons for a single woman being able to hitch up, pull (with a 1 ton diesel pickup) and control a 29' (or so) Air Stream on the highway.

thanks,
JD
Don't let the fact that you are single (Free Wheeler in WBCCI terminology) deter you from considering a trailer. There are a number of devices that make hitching a trailer a cinch even for those of us towing solo. To make hitching easy - - there are at least two hook-up mirrors that make the hitching process VERY EASY. The one that I use is:

The Hitch Spotter - - Trailer Hook-Up Mirror

If I were purchasing a new mirror and had only one coach, I would be very likely to purchase:

One-Shot - - Trailer Hook-Up Mirror

There are also a number of other devices that can be very useful to the Free Wheeler, and the WBCCI Free Wheelers Intra-Club is a good source of this information.

I can't add much in regard to the fifth-wheel vs. travel trailer as I eliminated fifth wheels from consideration when I realized that I hated driving my first and only pickup - - a 1995 Chevrolet Z71 Pickup purchased new with the heavy duty trailer towing package to tow my '64 Overlander International.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:14 AM   #8
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I had a discussion with mtrailink2 on chat night 2-3 weeks ago. At that time he was considering selling his Airstream 5th wheel. Then about a week or so ago, he posted pics of his trailer and posted that he had decided to sell the trailer. You can find photos at the folowing link: http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...when=&whenterm=

I think I remember he wanted $25,000 for the unit. In any case, I understand that these trailers were only made in 1989. They are very rare. There are only a very, very few of these units out there and this one looks to be in great condition. I understand that mtrailink2 and the trailer are in Montana right now. mtrailink2 has just finished building a summer home there.

Do a search on mtrailink2.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote