Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM   #1

1975 31' Sovereign
LaFollette , Tennessee
Towing Without Interior Skins

Hello. We are new here and looking for a little advice.

We purchased a 1975 31' Sovereign - it's been gutted, subfloor replaced where needed, reattached back end where damage had lifted the shell, all windows re-sealed / repaired and all new wiring/plumbing. It's ready for new insulation, framing, skins, well in my opinion - the fun stuff.

Now to my question and the tricky part - we need to move it 200 miles before we can finish the inside. I've seen a TON of posts about moving it without the skins...and lots of advice on MUST brace before moving it.

Any photos of the bracing or any detailed suggestions on bracing? And any other suggestions outside of bracing?

Thanks in advance!
BCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
This question has been controversial in the past with a large group saying that the inner skins are part of the structure of the trailer and the trailer will self destruct going down the road without them. The other half says it's not a problem and the structural benefits of the inner skin is minimal due to it being attached with aluminum pop rivets that have marginal shear strength.

I'm of the second group. I towed my Globetrotter all over the western US using it as an aluminum tent with no problems, even before I reinforced the interior structure.

If you are worried about it then just get a bucket load of 1/8" clecos (which you're going to need anyway) and cleco on the bottom sheets and the sheets just above the windows. Don't worry about the end caps as they contribute nothing to the structure. The clecos are stronger then the pop rivets in shear. I wouldn't even worry about not clecoing every hole as I'm sure some of the original holes a oversized.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

I'll second the advice above. I too towed many hundreds of miles without inside skins with no ill effect. My only word of caution would be that the shell seems a bit more "mobile" without skins, bulkheads, and interior cabinetry, and as a result your entry door may be more inclined to come unlatched.

Search for "doohicky" and you will see a simple device many of us have made out of a wood scrap to ensure the door stays closed while traveling. I think I have seen "ads" from Silver Moose trailer renovations selling a version of the doohicky as well.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 07:16 PM   #4
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Hmm... I would not tow without the inner skins. If you need convincing Belegedhel's comment that the shell is "mobile" without them pretty convincing to me: all the flex and movement is going to weaken the metal even if when you stop it's still attached

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I guess I should qualify my comment about shell mobility. It isn't anything you actually notice to look at it, push on it, or tow with it. My observation is based on the fact that I pulled the trailer at low speed across some bumpy terrain on the shoulder of the road and the door popped open. My only experience towing the trailer up to that point was my "recovery" journey driving on the interstate, so maybe I just got lucky that the door didn't fly open at highway speeds.

I was also using the original KT latch as my only means of latching the door, a latch that is notoriously junk. Also for what it is worth, the "doohicky" (pictured below) is used 99.9% of the time by folks who just absolutely want to avoid the possibility of the backward mounted "suicide" door from opening at highway speeds (even though all skins, cabinetry, etc. are in place).

I've also included the classic photo of a tech doing a pull-up on the first rib of a trailer (sans interior skins) just for fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chin-up (2020_01_22 20_33_51 UTC).JPG
Views:	29
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	433632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doohicky.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	433633  

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 04:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I would go with what aerowood suggests - he knows more about aluminum structure than anyone I know as he has worked extensively on airplane sheet metal as well as airstream sheet metal - he has also taught airstream construction and repair - so sounds like towing without inner skins is no problem

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 04:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We second what Ken said!

And the door doohickey is usable even after you get it put back together. Not much does more door damage than a mid travel door fly open episode.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1987 34' Excella
Olathe , Kansas
I will third that. I towed my trailer many times from my storage area to my house and then back with the skins removed. The driveway has a steep transition from the road to the ramp up and I never had any issues at all. I wouldn't even give it a second thought.