Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The recommendation for the Sherline trailer tongue scale on Amazon brought me to realize a crane scale could be used with my engine-lift…for much less money: (Anyone with a method to hang this scale from some structure or such…. can hook it under the ball-socket of the trailer A-frame and weigh the tongue wt…and perhaps find other uses as well.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:52 PM   #42
Jrg
1 Rivet Member

Springdale , Arkansas
I sent you a pm about a Tekonsha Prodig RF controller I have and donít need.
Jrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:39 AM   #43
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Thanks Tom!

When you described it as mounting to the TT tongue I didnít realize it still plugged in to the 7 pin.

My comment about the tailgate was *if* the TV wasnít in tow mode, this could be an issue.
I see that you mentioned split rear hatch, & I wasn't aware that BMW had gone to that on the X5.

In any case, in tow mode or not - with the Hensley/ProPride hitches you obviously have the clearance for the lower half of the split hatch, but you X5 owners may have to unplug your 7-pin to disengage that electronic fail-safe of its tow mode in order to take advantage of the clearance.

BTW - I can load my bikes into the truck beds with the Avion hitched up & have plenty of clearance, as with the various rented Pathfinders' rear hatch in years past.

No experience with the X5 & our trailer, but it should be similar to a Pathfinder or any other mid-sized SUV - but with the 2 shorter upper & lower hatch pieces protruding less. So even more clearance.

Otherwise a rear bike rack on the back of the trailer is the other option, & AS has or had some made by Fiamma specifically for the AS.

If it's anything like the Fiamma bike rack made for our 1988 VW Westfalia/Vanagon - then it's a sturdy & well made fold-up unit.

Happy Camping!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:11 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
1. CURT Echo wireless BLUETOOTH to iPhone brake controller is all you need. I got one used from a guy for $200 and it works GREAT! Nothing to wire, just plugs-in, power up, get the app and tow away! I used this for the towing with the Range Rover.

2 We also have a BMW X45e but I have not towed with it. The X45e has the extra weight of the battery pack. Our jamb sticker says 937lbs payload which isn't bad. It has air suspension too.

Plenty of power, that's not an issue. It's very stable driving too, just you won't be able to pack much or have a full crew in it.
FMSports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:15 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post

>> If anyone has gotten the new 2022> Federal EV/PHEV Tax Credit on your BMW PHEV or EV - please update us.

Frankly the new limitations imposed for new & used EV/PHEV vehicles has vastly diminished the usefulness to to now only less than 25-50% of the potential EV/PHEV fleet out there, & used is only up to $20,000 for USA made EV/PHEVs 5 years or newer - so not many in that price from anywhere nowadays.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Hi Tom. Only the X5 50e qualifies for half the credit @ $3750. Personally, I avoid the BMW V8s but folks seem to like it.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax2023.shtml

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I wanted to answer this. Hopefully, the OP (who hasn't returned) found a solution.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #46
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMSports View Post

2 We also have a BMW X45e but I have not towed with it. The X45e has the extra weight of the battery pack. Our jamb sticker says 937lbs payload which isn't bad. It has air suspension too.
Dang! That air suspension & other options on your X45e must really add up to be only 937 lbs useful load / payload!?

I recently did BTS on the Porsche configurator for the new 2024 CayEH with only what options we need & want for towing & other driving (i.e.: no option pkgs, no panoramic sunroof, no as, no super audio, no BS ambient lighting, etc.) - & the net payload/useful load was 1541 lbs. - & that's with their new bigger 27.5 KWH battery pack!

1541 vs 937 is a huge difference! That shows what a difference options make.

Thanx for the Fed Tax Rebate info propchef. Maybe it will help the OP on theirs too.

PS - the 50% & X5e vs X45e eligible or not must have to do with the USA parts content requirements.

Since the USA based EV/PHEV made numbers can't be met now vs. demand & types (sedan, cuv, suv, etc.) & quality - it seems shortsighted for the Feds/Congress to eliminate 2/3s of the potential EV/PHEV market for ICE vehicle switchover, when the US, CA & many other states have mandates or want to get more gas/diesel vehicles off the road.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 10:24 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
The electric motor, battery pack and wiring do weigh a lot. Just think of an electric bike, how heavy those things are. Our fuel consumption since factory is only 4L/100km which is amazing. A Fiat 500 averages 6.5L/100km

I towed 27FB straight-up with my Range Rover. I never went over 60MPH but it was OK. If using it FT I'd look at a WD hitch for it though.

The Rangie is more truck-ish, the X5 is lower and more agile handling wise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3278.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	433421  
FMSports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 02:38 PM   #48
Quiet Flyer

2017 27' International
Kent , Washington
Not Okay

A definite No on this. Have a brake controller installed. Long descents towing will generate tremendous heat. It will results in the rear brakes on you tow vehicle becoming red hot. Will initially result in brakes fading and if persistent, brake failure. You will see serious smoking from the rear tow vehicle brakes. I have personally experienced it towing a flat bed with no brakes loaded with fence boards with a F150. Not catastrophic but could have been. Caught it in time.
The choice is always yours to install or not or rely on the BMW guys advice, but you and your family will be the ones at risk.
Go conservative in matters of safety. Life is short as it is. No need to shorten it over $300 bucks, for a brake controller installation.
bubba98042 is offline   Reply With Quote