Old 06-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #1

2020 16' Bambi
Olympia , Washington
Towing with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid ‘15

We are buying a 16’ Bambi but are concerned about the tow capacity of our Toyota Highlander Hybrid. This is our first travel trailer. It has a tow capacity of 3500 lb. however, we have been told by several people to NOT put anything in the Bambi to avoid stressing the hybrid engine. Does anyone have experience with a hybrid? We have 500-600 leeway before we hit the max, so we are thinking we could put kitchen, bedding, some basics in the trailer. But no water? Thanks for your experiences/knowledge.

LJSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have a new RAV4 Hybrid. There are many cautions about towing in my manual but they do not necessarily apply to the engine. As a matter of fact, the hybrid using the engine and the electric motors produce more HP and torque than an the engine alone.

The problem, at least with mine, is that the TV itself is not robust enough to tow much weight. In my case the maximum weight I can tow is 1500 pounds. I am pretty sure yours will be higher but I would check. There should be a sticker on the door jamb listing the combined weight rating for towing. Check with your Toyota dealer to get the accurate numbers for you specific vehicle. Ask THEM about the issues with towing for your particular vehicle.

All that said, I towed with a 4Runner years ago. It had a V8 and was built on a Tacoma frame, not the unibody of a Highlander. I had a 5000, or was it even more?, tow rating.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote