Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Garden Valley , Idaho
Towing Sport 16 with Nissan Frontier

I'm new to the forum and have a question. I'm considering an Airstream Sport 16RB. Currently, I have a Forest River 12 ft hard side that folds up to an A frame. It's 2000 lbs dry and with what we put in it, including water is 2500 lbs. max. The Sport is 2800 dry and 3500 GVWR. My Nissan is rated at 6300 lbs max towing so the sport is well within these limits. My truck is comparable to the Toyota Tacoma V6 in terms of power and load limits, so a response from Tacoma owners would be welcome.
My real concern is the frontal area of the Airstream Sport. According to my Nissan manual, the frontal area should not exceed 60 sq ft. Since my current trailer folds down, it comes no where this limit but the Sport is 8' x 9'+ which is 72 sq ft approx. I'm concerned that wind drag will be a potential issue. Are there any small truck owners that can enlighten me with their experience?
BobOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I have a 2016 Tacoma and a FC20. No problem towing at all. If the Frontier is basically the same you will be more than fine.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Keep in mind that the Airstream does NOT have a flat front. It is rounded and very streamlined...so it is effectively a lot less than 60 square feet of frontal area...

Now, just how much effective frontal area, I have no clue. I do know that I pull my 22 footer with a Toyota Tacoma with no real wind resistance issues--I'm just a bit short of power on the long mountain passes, so I have to slow down and be patient when I'm climbing hard.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Anywhere , IN
Greetings,
I am pretty new at this. Can only give my little bit of experience. I have towed my 2017 16 ft. Sport a little less than 3000 miles with a Tacoma TRD 2 wheel drive.
It handles great and is within limits weight wise.
I know it's there, but have plenty of power traveling in midwest. Haven't been in mountains yet.
I am not really familiar with square footage front you speak of or if I have limitations too.
Have fun safe travels.
KRPS is offline   Reply With Quote