Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

l , Texas
Towing/moving with no wheels before Refurbishment

I have a 1963 Globetrotter that I'm looking to start refurbishing. The first step is to get it somewhere where I can get the frame, axle, etc. inspected & repaired to make it road-worthy. It's currently sitting on the ground (where it has been for decades) with no wheels.

I can find a place to do the initial inspection/repairs, but I can't get it there.

Looking for advice on how to transport it. I see two options
1) Rent a trailer, lift and move it myself
2) Hire a hauling service (my preferred option).
3) Attempt to fix it myself in place to make it road-worthy (probably most problematic option).

Has anybody done this before and can you offer any advice?

Thanks!
pjtss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtss View Post
I have a 1963 Globetrotter that I'm looking to start refurbishing. The first step is to get it somewhere where I can get the frame, axle, etc. inspected & repaired to make it road-worthy. It's currently sitting on the ground (where it has been for decades) with no wheels.

I can find a place to do the initial inspection/repairs, but I can't get it there.

Looking for advice on how to transport it. I see two options
1) Rent a trailer, lift and move it myself
2) Hire a hauling service (my preferred option).
3) Attempt to fix it myself in place to make it road-worthy (probably most problematic option).

Has anybody done this before and can you offer any advice?

Thanks!
Earth to metal contact usually promotes corrosion. If that is what you mean by sitting on the ground. That will weaken the metal that supports the structure. There isn;t exactly a frame in the traditional sense. It is built like an airplane using a monocoque construction. The outer skin is structural support.

With that said, the best way to move would be to lift it and install wheels and tires after inspecting & repiaring as needed brakes and bearings

>>>>Action
Old 08-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

l , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Earth to metal contact usually promotes corrosion. If that is what you mean by sitting on the ground. That will weaken the metal that supports the structure. There isn;t exactly a frame in the traditional sense. It is built like an airplane using a monocoque construction. The outer skin is structural support.

With that said, the best way to move would be to lift it and install wheels and tires after inspecting & repiaring as needed brakes and bearings

>>>>Action
Thank for the response. Galvanic corrosion is my chief concern also.

I'm extremely new to this. Do you have any recommendations on how to get started purchasing materials for an axel / brake combination?
Old 08-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Before buying parts you might want to inspect first.

If the trailer is still sitting "on the ground" get it lifted and see what you have.
If you want to move it first get that handled.
If it is the original axle, I might be tempted to put wheels on it and tow a short distance. You might ruin the bearings/spindle and you will get new with a new axle.

That trailer isn't going to weigh much more than 3000 pounds. Not recommended and yet I have done it is to to tow without brakes.

Unless you are slapping the thing together, doing an assessment before ordering parts is needed. There are a couple of places that you can order an axle by vin. And the biggest player for torsion axles is Dexter. You will need measurements to order there. And the trailer will need to be off the ground to measure. BTW likely you will want an axle that has the brake assemblies included.

Not sure if money is a factor. Hopefully you bought the trailer dirt cheap! Pun intended. Because you will start making the bigger payments in the rehab.

Action
Old 08-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
What part of Texas are you in?

Reason I ask is, if you are in the dry part, you may be in luck (in terms of how bad a condition the frame is in). If you are in the moist, humid part, grab hold of your backside with both hands, because things may get ugly.

The first thing I would recommend doing is to get it up off the ground. You may be able to do this with a couple of very low profile floor jacks. Be sure you are jacking against an axle plate.

Put it on blocks or jack stands, and then try to get an understanding of how bad a shape it is in underneath. There should be aluminum coving the underside of the trailer (the belly pan), so you ( or most anyone for that matter) won't be able to tell very much about the condition of the frame just by looking under there. One place that you can see is the frame rails that form the A-frame. If the metal is rotted through there, then you know you have a problem.

Supposing you don't see anything that causes concern (rotting frame rails, belly pan sections detached and hanging, holding tanks falling out), you should check and see if the hubs will even turn. If they are rusted solid, then you will have no choice but to get some transport company to flat-bed it to its new location. If they turn, then you could disassemble them, grease up the bearings, and then tow a reasonable distance. Either way, you are going to need to put some wheels under it. You do not want a transport company dragging the trailer up onto a flat-bed on its belly using a winch or a fork-lift.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:38 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

l , Texas
Great advice. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 05:42 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

l , Texas
Thanks for the advice!