Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

1999 19' Bambi
Hollywood , Florida
Towing info ?

I would like to purchase a 1999 19' Airstream Bambi travel trailer and would like to know if it would be possible to tow this trailer with my Toyota pickup truck ? My truck is a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Access cab 2 wheel drive prerunner with an automatic and a V6 . It has the bigger battery and 130 amp alternator with a tranny cooler and oil cooler and of course the 2" hitch with the 7 pin wiring plug. The truck also came with Toyota anti sway control which you can turn off .
Moparbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Howdy!! For all towing questions call Andy Thompson from Can Am RV in Canada. He is the expert and is uber nice. You may even want to consider buying your AS from Andy! Towing expert and one stop shopping. We are!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
V6 Taco with a tow package should be fine for a Bambi on the east coast. It'll work some on steeper climbs but it's way more vehicle than people had for towing in the 50s and 60s so it should do fine until you get tired of the truck. If at that time you're still happy with the Taco's towing performance you can get another, or if you want more there's always the Tundra.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

1999 19' Bambi
Hollywood , Florida
Thank you for your reply FYI my truck is two weeks old and has less than 300 miles on it currently. Money does`nt grow on trees over here I work hard for it. And I don`t think it will be any time soon that I will be trading in my truck for another. As a matter of fact the Toyota is one of the best trucks on the market right now and 85% of it is made right here in the united states by american people. Thanks again for your support, Bob
Moparbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think you have the wrong idea about what I meant to say in my post.

Just as a frame of reference, my Argosy will be 38 years old in August, and it's still a great camper that we have a lot of fun using. If you carefully maintain both your Airstream and your tow vehicle, the Airstream will outlast quite a few tow vehicles.

I wasn't suggesting that the Taco will be worn out anytime soon, I was saying that you should tow with the truck you already have and someday when it's worn out or you feel the need for a newer vehicle re-assess your towing needs then. Most people keep the same Airstream longer than the same tow vehicle, at least once they find The One.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Not sure this is actually a Mopar guy, DKB. Always used to being third at the start but often across the finish line first. We usually have to read things a few times to find the right angle to beat them other guys.

If your tow vehicle can outlast an aerodynamic all-aluminum travel trailer in regular service you'll have a record, M-B. My folks only had two tow vehicles in the twenty-seven years they owned their Silver Streak that covered nearly 400k in that time. Both TV's were sold to new owners who kept them going . . but I doubt that either is still in service. The trailer however at 36-years is easily still rolling.

So keep your trucklet a dozen years or so . . it's still "disposable" compared to one of these trailers. Update us in 2024 or thereabouts.

Welcome.

You'll want to read about hitch rigging. I recommend a thread with the words "Cat Scale" in the title, for starters. With all that sorted out properly your combo will be as good as it likely can be. Don't settle for less . . try a little Extra Care in Engineering (your work in setting up the hitch) and you'll be more than pleased.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

We're towing an '07 19' Bambi with an '07 Nissan Frontier, similar size and capabilities to your Tacoma, and found it handled it well. After a couple years towing up and down some seriously steep mountain passes, I did a number of performance upgrades to make me more comfortable, regardless what we encountered on future trips.
I did some minor intake and exhaust work, and Superchip'd it, so are now probably around 280 hp and 300 lb/ft torque. To improve stopping, I changed to slotted rotors front and rear, with Hawk Performance pads. These mods have helped, but were certainly not necessary. You should have no problems towing with your Tacoma.
kd7trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I had a 2006 Dcab V6 and towed both my old trailer (Basecamp) and new trailer (22 foot International... 4500lbs or so) with no problems. Mileage sucks, but that's just the way it goes. Leave it in 4th unless you are really coasting...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote