Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Airstream Makes Motorhomes Too!

I just read this thread from end to end, and had to laugh. We have a motorhome and guess what? It has rivets and shiny aluminum and all the comfort and quality of an Airstream. We get to hang out with the same great people too. As an added bonus it says Airstream all over it. Go figure. I guess we are the forgotten few. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alville.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	57514  
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
I just read this thread from end to end, and had to laugh. We have a motorhome and guess what? It has rivets and shiny aluminum and all the comfort and quality of an Airstream. We get to hang out with the same great people too. As an added bonus it says Airstream all over it. Go figure. I guess we are the forgotten few. Ron

I stand corrected and totally ashamed.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28
I stand corrected and totally ashamed.
Don't be too hard on yourself. You were in good company. Some of the folks that forgot us on this thread, we've camped with. But it's all in fun. Ron
Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Tim and I have camped with Ron and Debbie -- last year at Casini. Great fun. Shhhh...

I have to tell you that after seeing their rig Tim and I have put an AS motorhome of the same vintage on our wish list. We're looking for one more 'trailer' and it will be an Airstream motorhome.

What sealed the deal for me was the spotlight above the front cab! Made for a great 'stage light' too!

Beautiful
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
Don't be too hard on yourself. You were in good company. Some of the folks that forgot us on this thread, we've camped with. But it's all in fun. Ron
Thank You and I will sleep better tonight. To be honest I have never even read the motor home segment of this forum. Shows you what a close minded pin head I am. Anyway, we live in Holland Michigan, one of the few Bluebird motor home dealers in the country. My wife reminded me of the 1990 345 le I was drooling over about 5-7 years ago some one had traded in. It was beautiful and mint. So, I do not even have the excuse that I did not know they built motor homes. They are indeed classics and it is too bad A/S pulled out. With the new generation of chassis, and the one I really like, the UFO or gas pusher by GM, could have been a great combo. O-- and by the way, my wife will not drive the rig we have now but did drive the 3 M/H's we had. Now at times I really miss that option!!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
I guess I'm the voice of total inexperience but we're going for a 28 ft Safari SE as our first RV. I haven't towed anything since my wagon as a little kid.

Why did we choose an Airstream? A lot of our same reasons are listed in earlier posts here. Safety, simplicity , costs, fewer mechanical problems etc. We wouldn't even consider a moho (costs, mechanical breakdowns, depreciation etc)

One of our main reasons for an Airstream over another brand TT is that an AS is very well designed. As an architect I have always been drawn to AS for this reason. Each model in it's own way is really nicely designed. For 75+ years the exterior design has endured. It's timeless and elegant - an American icon. The differences in the interiors both vintage and new is amazing too.

Compare this to any other TT or 5th wheel. In my opinion most of them are pretty cheesey. Airstreams are downright classy!

Besides... Airstream owners (with very few exceptions) are pretty cool people!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
OK I confess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Many of us for years have been confused by this contradiction!

Ford seems to believe a 1/2 ton is all one needs to safely tow the most heaviest 34' Airstream.
I really could tow my 25 FB SE with a 1/2 ton... but sooner or later Airstream will make a CCD style 34' and it will call my name. That's why I bought the 3/4 ton diesel Silverado. (And even though I'm not actively looking, 99% of the people I meet at diesel pumps are males ).

Paula
Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It may be an A/S motorhome, but it's still sitting on a conventional chassis. Want different? Have a look at an FMC manufactured in the 1970's: fully independent suspension, rear-mount Chrysler engine, low exterior height, extra-low center of gravity, resistant to wind, able to track curving roads well, etc. Would run 90+ mph.

There's the sad partof the A/S motorhome: a nice body on an otherwise ordinary furniture-truck chassis. A/S could have cleaned house had they made a motorhome that was as well-engineered as the trailers, could have been stand out for something besides looks.

Sorta like a hot rod that won't perform: if it's slow, chrome it.

Now, that junk aside, I like the looks of them too. Hope they're holding up well.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
you are kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
It may be an A/S motorhome, but it's still sitting on a conventional chassis. Want different? Have a look at an FMC manufactured in the 1970's: fully independent suspension, rear-mount Chrysler engine, low exterior height, extra-low center of gravity, resistant to wind, able to track curving roads well, etc. Would run 90+ mph.

There's the sad partof the A/S motorhome: a nice body on an otherwise ordinary furniture-truck chassis. A/S could have cleaned house had they made a motorhome that was as well-engineered as the trailers, could have been stand out for something besides looks.

Sorta like a hot rod that won't perform: if it's slow, chrome it.

Now, that junk aside, I like the looks of them too. Hope they're holding up well.
REDNAX,

I think you are being a bit hard on the Classic AS Motorhome. Your comment about not being "as well engineered as the trailers" is a hoot. I would respectfully disagree with that perspective.

time
Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
REDNAX,

I think you are being a bit hard on the Classic AS Motorhome. Your comment about not being "as well engineered as the trailers" is a hoot. I would respectfully disagree with that perspective.

time
Thanks John. I almost took up this argument when that post was first made, but held off. Why would anyone on the Airstream Forums want to try some other kind of motorhome?? I think most of us are pretty happy with ours, despite what the guy with the Silver Streak trailer thinks. Ron
Old 04-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I must admit

FULL DISCLOSURE...

I must disclose that my earlier post was biased considering that Thelma and I will be future AS Classic MoHo owners...assuming we will be fortunate enough to persuade the str8s to separate the twins without us having to sell one of our twins.

If it has rivets, made with aluminum, and built in an Airstream factory, it's all good.

just saying,
time
Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
FULL DISCLOSURE...

I must disclose that my earlier post was biased considering that Thelma and I will be future AS Classic MoHo owners...assuming we will be fortunate enough to persuade the str8s to separate the twins without us having to sell one of our twins.

If it has rivets, made with aluminum, and built in an Airstream factory, it's all good.

just saying,
time
You're a pretty savvy negotiator. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy. Ron
Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 AM   #53
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
tows like a dream!

As a brand new owner of an AS, and having never towed before, I was so thrilled and impressed with how easy our 25FB Safari was to tow!

Before leaving to pick our new baby up, we watched this video on the towability of Airstreams Airstream, Inc :: Why Buy? (or got to main page and click "why buy" on right). It gave us great confidence! Watch it, if you haven't already - you will NEVER want to tow SOB!

I had to keep looking in the rear view mirror to even know I was towing! It was amazing!!! What a thrill! No stress, just FUN!

We did buy a 3/4 ton truck to tow her with, mainly because we are inexperienced towers and wanted a vehicle with more than enough capability, but also because we (I!) have fulltiming dreams a few years down the road, and we will need a longer AS at that point. Since we bought new, I want this truck to last and not have to trade up from 1/2 to 3/4 ton when/if we get a longer AS. This truck is a Big Dog, eager to work and eager to play, and I love it!

The 3/4 ton was the advise and suggested way to go, given our circumstances, by quite a few kind peeps on this forum, and we are most grateful and very glad we followed it. Thanks!

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #54
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
FULL DISCLOSURE...
just saying, time

I've found myself sitting out on he back porch visualizing a Classic "stream motorhome sitting where our trailer sits... One's I've been in have always raised my heart rate... but then, so have the trailers. So it must be the aluminum & rivets and design/shape.

Whatever it is, I'm just glad we own one. Pure art on wheels.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #55
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
... One's I've been in have always raised my heart rate... but then, so have the trailers. So it must be the aluminum & rivets and design/shape...
i can tell u from owning and enjoying a classic moho for 25 years...

just sitting inside it always RELAXED me, even in the driveway going nowhere.

it was just so much FUN to travel in and drive.

and attracted attention EVERYWHERE she landed.

the interior shape/overhead bins and driver view ALWAYS reminds me of a small aeroplanejetspaceship thing.

the p30 chassis IS an old dull crude platform, but with the right tweaks can be make to handle SPORTY and with zip!

it is too bad there isn't a new version of this air'liner on wheels, but good times and good things pass...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I just saw in the local paper a 1990 345 WITH 15K MILES. $45K. Claims to be mint and always stored. if my memory serves me correct that is a beauty.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:47 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
read the ad last night, taxes and tired. here is the actual numbers,....

1991 AIRSTREAM CLASSIC 350LE
15980 MILES
454 WITH BANKS

call larry

Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lima , Ohio
Thought you would like to know we just brought home our 99 25ft. Safari, 600 miles home, you can find my post, heck of a story! We pulled her with our 2005 Dodge Durango Adventurer. Not even a Hemi, has higher axle ratio though. Did lots of research on the Durango, Dodge has an awesome sight that will spell out what "your" vehicle can tow. Ours stated 7200 lbs. tow, with lower axle ratio, 5700 lbs tow. Even verified with Dodge. Airstream is 4900 dry weight/ 6300 total max. I will admit, we were still nervous if it could handle it. NO PROBLEMS! My husband was please with the RPM's. Everyone says you don't know the Airstream is back there, well I did. Probably first ride home, and so long. I guess I did forget about it after some time. But my husband said driving was easy, and let me tell you we had some high winds to deal with. We did use a Reese weight distribution hitch that can be adjusted to fit your TV. May get sway bars, but honestly, may not need them. We plan to take her to the weight scales soon. Curious what total we have. I have no fear in using this durango to pull her. We are a young family, and need the durango for family purposes, car-pooling, etc. She will do just great for the Airstream. Granted I wouldn't take it to the Rockies, but where we plan to go, in the little spare time we have, she will do great!
wishsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishsilver
Thought you would like to know we just brought home our 99 25ft. Safari, 600 miles home, you can find my post, heck of a story! We pulled her with our 2005 Dodge Durango Adventurer. Not even a Hemi, has higher axle ratio though. Did lots of research on the Durango, Dodge has an awesome sight that will spell out what "your" vehicle can tow. Ours stated 7200 lbs. tow, with lower axle ratio, 5700 lbs tow. Even verified with Dodge. Airstream is 4900 dry weight/ 6300 total max. I will admit, we were still nervous if it could handle it. NO PROBLEMS! My husband was please with the RPM's. Everyone says you don't know the Airstream is back there, well I did. Probably first ride home, and so long. I guess I did forget about it after some time. But my husband said driving was easy, and let me tell you we had some high winds to deal with. We did use a Reese weight distribution hitch that can be adjusted to fit your TV. May get sway bars, but honestly, may not need them. We plan to take her to the weight scales soon. Curious what total we have. I have no fear in using this durango to pull her. We are a young family, and need the durango for family purposes, car-pooling, etc. She will do just great for the Airstream. Granted I wouldn't take it to the Rockies, but where we plan to go, in the little spare time we have, she will do great!
Hi, wishsilver. I'm not sure about what you said was your tow vehicle's tow rating, but 7,200 lbs is cutting it close, 12% margin, [20% rule] and if it is 5,700 lbs you're looking for trouble. As for the sway bars, get them anyway; Don't wait until it's too late. [accident]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:33 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lima , Ohio
Thanks Robertsunrus,
We have the 7200 lb. tow capacity. I know there is much debate on the SUV TV. If we really like the Airstream experience and plan to take her far, then a larger TV will be in the works for the future. But for now the Durango will do. Will definitely take your advice on the sway bars, for the little cost, I'm sure it is well worth the money.
wishsilver is offline   Reply With Quote