RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
AnnaBelle33's Avatar
 
2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 166
Towing & Math

I have a 2019 RAM 2500 Limited w/Diesel.

Looking at the door jam stickers it shows:
GAWR Front 6000
GAWR Rear 6040
GVWR 10,000

Then it shows Occupants & Cargo should not exceed 2,056

Attached is my Cat Scale report (without Airstream)

The tongue weight of the AS is 1,175

Does that mean that I only have 881 lbs left for me, my wife and all my gear that will be in the back of the truck? <I better lose some weight>!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1144_19816004_12012020_123059_642.pdf (232.9 KB, 9 views)
__________________
IG: @AnnaBelletheAirstream
2021 Classic 33 FB
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel)
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,091
Blog Entries: 4
Hi Chas, we have a 2019 RAM 2500 Laramie but with the 6.4 gas engine. Our payload is 2940 lbs. The 900 lbs. can be attributed to the Diesel engine and is why many people choose a 3500 when going Diesel.

The good news is with your maximum rear axle rating it’s doubtful you’ll exceed it but go ahead and check it when you go to the CAT scale with your trailer and do a 3-way pass.

Below is our CAT ticket with the RAM alone and RAM, 27’ Globetrotter / Blue Ox WD disengaged. Our tongue weight is around 1100 lbs.

Hope that helps!
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM2500_Only.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	384164   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM2500_NoWD_GT.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	384165  

__________________
2019 27í Globetrotter FBT Walnut/Dublin Slate
2018 FC23FB
2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Laramie Blue Ox 1000#
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 26
That is my understanding for payload capacity. You would think a RAM 2500, or any other 1 ton truck wouldnít have to worry about capacities when it comes to towing an airstream. I have a RAm 2500 on order but with the gas engine. The diesel is a beast towing engine but it is much heavier than the gas version at about 900 lbs, which cuts into the payload capacity. Iím sure you will get all sorts of opinions because towing is one of the most controversial topics on this forum.
Pappy3393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 210
Images: 4
AnnaBelle - how did you arrive at your tongue weight? Also, do either your tongue weight or TV weights include your hitch weight? That can also be significant. Finally, did your TV weights include you or anything else that actually counts as payload? If so, remember that much payload is already reflected in your TV weight.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
AnnaBelle33's Avatar
 
2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
AnnaBelle - how did you arrive at your tongue weight? Also, do either your tongue weight or TV weights include your hitch weight? That can also be significant. Finally, did your TV weights include you or anything else that actually counts as payload? If so, remember that much payload is already reflected in your TV weight.


The tongue weight is from the AS brochure with batteries & LP. What is the difference from Tongue weight & hitch weight? No, I did not include any gear or people.
__________________
IG: @AnnaBelletheAirstream
2021 Classic 33 FB
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel)
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #6
Any day now....
 
jaybauman's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBelle33 View Post
The tongue weight of the AS is 1,175

Does that mean that I only have 881 lbs left for me, my wife and all my gear that will be in the back of the truck? <I better lose some weight>!

The actual tongue weight on my 2019 Flying Cloud was about 300 lbs. more than Airstream says it is. I attribute this increase partly to my WD hitch and partly to the FB floor plan. You can sure put a lot of stuff under the front bed; that weight adds up quickly. I expect your real tongue weight will exceed the value you have stated, which means you'll have even less available payload than you think.

Of the "Big 3", Ram seems to offer the lowest payload on their turbo diesel units. As long as you invest in a very high quality weight distributing hitch and do not exceed your truck's axle load limits, your rig should be just fine even if you're exceeding payload capacity.

My Classic 33 is scheduled for delivery next month. I'm wondering what the scales will tell me about the real tongue weight. When does your arrive?
__________________
2019 Flying Cloud 30FBB
Bunkhouse is sold...something more "classical" on order!
2020 GMC 3500HD Duramax AT4
ProPride 3P w/ 1400 lb. spring bars
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
SSquared's Avatar
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 837
I think the payload sticker in your door sticker assumes a 175 pound driver and a full fuel tank.



Your scale ticket shows 1700 pounds of available payload. What was in/on your truck at that time? Driver? Passenger? Full fuel tank? Anvil collection?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
AnnaBelle33's Avatar
 
2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
The actual tongue weight on my 2019 Flying Cloud was about 300 lbs. more than Airstream says it is. I attribute this increase partly to my WD hitch and partly to the FB floor plan. You can sure put a lot of stuff under the front bed; that weight adds up quickly. I expect your real tongue weight will exceed the value you have stated, which means you'll have even less available payload than you think.



Of the "Big 3", Ram seems to offer the lowest payload on their turbo diesel units. As long as you invest in a very high quality weight distributing hitch and do not exceed your truck's axle load limits, your rig should be just fine even if you're exceeding payload capacity.



My Classic 33 is scheduled for delivery next month. I'm wondering what the scales will tell me about the real tongue weight. When does your arrive?


It came offline Nov 5th. AS of Tampa says they hope to get it Dec 15th. Iím hoping for a great Christmas present.
__________________
IG: @AnnaBelletheAirstream
2021 Classic 33 FB
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel)
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
AnnaBelle33's Avatar
 
2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I think the payload sticker in your door sticker assumes a 175 pound driver and a full fuel tank.



Your scale ticket shows 1700 pounds of available payload. What was in/on your truck at that time? Driver? Passenger? Full fuel tank? Anvil collection?


Just me in cab. 3/4 tank of diesel. And all the bodies in the bed.
__________________
IG: @AnnaBelletheAirstream
2021 Classic 33 FB
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel)
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,600
Images: 1
Towing &amp; Math

Youíve got 3000# before you hit your rear axle weight rating. Youíve got a lot of overhead. Donít sweat it and donít be concerned about a 10,000lb gvwr on a 3/4 ton.

Go by axle weight ratings and combined (truck+trailer) weight rating (CGVWR).
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Mercedes ML350 towing math/specs-for 25, 23 AS vonzellen Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 58 05-21-2014 09:55 PM
Towing math blues swissair Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 13 10-31-2011 11:29 AM
Towing Math Example: Tundra pulling '79 31ft Sovereign Airstream Dad Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 8 10-18-2011 11:17 AM
Is my math right? ITowSilver Tow Vehicles 11 01-15-2004 01:05 PM
math wiz's: how steep a slope can I back up? Chuck Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 12 05-05-2003 02:18 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.