Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Weight

Do not do it. The TV manufacture designed the vehicle for a reason and placed a label on it for not only your safety but for everyone else’s safety as well.
Here is some advise: if you are involved in an accident and your are in violation of the weight limit your insurance can refuse to pay they claim. You may ask how would my insurance company know. Well, from questions like this you are asking if it is okay to violate the weight limit on your TV. And two how do you know you are only exceeding the weight limit by 200 pounds every time you hitch up. Fully loaded you may exceed by much more. You are most likely exceeding the weight limit on your rear axle and not the receiver.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #62

2007 23' Safari SE
Reno , Nevada
Hi There,

Surprised at the hitch price :-(

We have a 2016 Flying CLound 25 FB with a Ford F350 6.7 Diesel

Camco Eaz Lift 48058 Weight Distribution Hitch Fully Assembled Round Bar 10,000 + 2-5/16 Ball. 1000 toingue weight. $300. They make a larger one.

With a https://tusonrvbrakes.com/products/t...ntrol-tsc-1000
The Tuson is amazing and under $1000. Take a bit to install but Ultimate airstreams installed no problem.

We also had the hitch adjusted and the tailgate clears our 2016 F350 6.7 liter and we have never touched the ground with the hitch.

We have put over 75k miles on the rig and live in Tahoe and the Fl Keys .

Out west the speed limit is 80 and we set the cruise to 85.

Been in cross winds of over 40+ and never felt the trailer sway one bit.

For short rides we do not even need the weight distribution bars but use them when doing a long haul(Over 300 Miles)

We are considering airbags now that the truck is aging but primarily because we put a 1500# bed slide and camper top on the truck.

We dry camp in the rough country a lot since (w wheel in), we live in the Sierras and travel the northwest except when doing a cross country run.

You definitely need an F250. We like the F350 but it can be a bit stiff and bouncy without the trailer.

Never had a problem getting the hitch on in our back driveway which is on a down hill slope. Just line the ball up so when you let it down it slides slightly backwards onto the hitch
Msundheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly of Center Moriches, NY) , South Dakota
NO, Go on a "diet" instead and reduce your hitch weight until is is UNDER the 800# rating (and you should also allow for a "Safety Factor"). You should also get a "Smart Weigh" done. It's a modest ONE TIME expense (unless MAJOR changes are made). After being Smart Weighed, a trained technician will sit down with you and explain your "numbers". Getting Smart Weighed is also the ONLY WAY you can PRECISELY determine EXACTLY what PSI you should inflate your tires to (Smart Weigh weighs EACH tire position, a CAT Scale gives ONLY an approximation). The Escapees RV Club and RVSEF are two groups I know of that offer Smart Weigh service (often at major RV rallies / events).
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #64
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
^
To whom are we addressing that post to? 🥴

In any case.....

No, don't go on a diet, do not fudge the numbers to make the rig 'better' you will eventually regret it.

The CAT 'approximation' has served us well, I prefer to do it myself.
FWIW... not much you can do about the side to side weight difference...the AS is only so wide after all.🤔
And the axles are too close together to make much difference fore & aft.

It's your trailer you might as well learn the correct procedure yourself.

BTW there is no "set" tire pressure that will cover all situations, more than weight alone determines correct PSI.

The "trained technician" is not trained or familiar with our rig, nor has he driven it 60k plus.
I believe it's more productive for the owner to learn & do for themselves.

Granted the IQ weigh does no harm but it's certainly not the end all be all.

Sweet Streams

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:20 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
And the axles are too close together to make much difference fore & aft.
I can vary the weight between the axles a great deal with the “drop” of the hitch. On my 25FB, a level trailer (measured from frame to ground at front and back) results in considerably more weight on the rear axle and some instability. I don’t know why, and I haven’t tested it with varying levels in the three tanks. Maybe the instability was imagined. But I found slightly nose down to balance the weight of the trailer between the axles and increase stability.

You can test this if you are a masochist by intentionally raising the drop of the hitch a couple of notches. Weigh it to see how much weight transfers to the rear axle.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #66
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
I can vary the weight between the axles a great deal with the “drop” of the hitch. On my 25FB, a level trailer (measured from frame to ground at front and back) results in considerably more weight on the rear axle and some instability. I don’t know why, and I haven’t tested it with varying levels in the three tanks. Maybe the instability was imagined. But I found slightly nose down to balance the weight of the trailer between the axles and increase stability.

You can test this if you are a masochist by intentionally raising the drop of the hitch a couple of notches. Weigh it to see how much weight transfers to the rear axle.
Got the tickets, what is considerably?

Now rising and lowering the tongue will change the TW and and not enough TW will promote instability as will too much.
Nose down an inch or two will improve stability IF you can't get a level rig with WD set.

I'm an old fart...I still use the CAT's and have never been unstable,(while towing), and never paid anyone to give me their exspurt advise.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire.
RLC
Old 09-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
Really, Bob. I can't believe you wouldn't listen to their expurt advice, lol. 1��
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:51 AM   #68
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge12212 View Post
Really, Bob. I can't believe you wouldn't listen to their expurt advice, lol. 1��
Well, I could have used your more modern spelling, but I believe most here are not hip the groove.

I'll try it next time.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

RLC
Old 09-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
I agree, don't leave propane capacity behind unless it's summer or Florida. I was in NW Arkansas in mid-May and it was Hi30s/Low 40s. I was surprised at how much gas I was going through. Arrived with 2 30# cyls and refilled mid-week and the next weekend. 😎✌
Old 09-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Got the tickets, what is considerably?

Now rising and lowering the tongue will change the TW and and not enough TW will promote instability as will too much.
Nose down an inch or two will improve stability IF you can't get a level rig with WD set.

I'm an old fart...I still use the CAT's and have never been unstable,(while towing), and never paid anyone to give me their exspurt advise.

Bob
🇺🇸
Lot of us "old farts" still out here that agree with you...(sometimes) It's these "new farts" that keep "testing" us that drive me nutz! (did I spell that right?)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
His question was "Will I be safe". From a legal perspective the correct answer is "NO" He needs a TV with more payload - at least 1500 for his AS and should be shopping for one.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:20 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
I was using Robert Crosses "expurt" spelling, lol. I too am an old fart and am not all that worried about spell checking. Punctuation, on the other hand, can be important. I enjoy reading y'all's comments and even learn something once in a while. Peace, Brothers. ��✌
Old 09-21-2021, 12:19 PM   #73

2022 25' Flying Cloud
The Villages , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
One source of confusion is that the receiver is not designed to just one single limit. It is near impossible to design a component so that it hits the rated design capacity in multiple aspects at the same time. One consideration will be more critical than the others.

There is the strength of the receiver in being able to handle the tongue load applied. There is the strength of the receiver in being able to handle the torsion loads of the WD equipment. There is the knock on effect of rear axle loading, based on the geometry (eg rear overhang) but also impacted by how the WD is set up. There is the knock on effect on vehicle dynamic stability, which is also impacted by vehicle speed and height of the various loads.

A receiver that is conveniently listed at 10% of the tow rating is likely either due to the limiting design factor being receiver strength, and the tow rating is then a result of the 10% calculation, or the tow rating is the designer's working limit, and the nominated receiver limit is simply a 10% math calculation.

It is likely that the receiver in question can handle more than the load label on it states. But that needs some engineering judgement to decide, it shouldn't simply be changed because of which way the wind is blowing.

Personally, I always respect axle load ratings, as they are regulated for good reason, and I would adjust the WD to set the combination up safely. I have less concern over "rated payload" since it is a derived calculation, it isn't the starting point. If I was planning to exceed a receiver rating (as may be required here) I would use my engineering judgement combined with an ongoing inspection program, but I would most likely also contact CanAm who have set up this specific vehicle and ask for their recommendation on strengthening the receiver, and if they recommend doing that in this specific case. They will know. And if I did decide to modify or exceed the factory rating of the receiver, or even if I didn't, I would weigh the combination to ensure that I was within axle load ratings, which are safety critical items.
I think the hitch rating comes from the SAE J2807 certification. The max tow Expedition certifies at 9,300 pounds and the standard assumes 10% tongue weight. Focus on a level rig, payload, and GAWRs and all else should be ok.
MaddogYZ450f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #74
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge12212 View Post
I was using Robert Crosses "expurt" spelling, lol. I too am an old fart and am not all that worried about spell checking. Punctuation, on the other hand, can be important. I enjoy reading y'all's comments and even learn something once in a while. Peace, Brothers. ��✌
Sarge...I was flying low with that, glad it didn't go un-noticed,

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

RLC
Old 09-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDR View Post
Hello,

I will try and be concise. If my tow vehicle has a maximum tongue weight capapcity of 800 pounds and my estimated tongue weight of Airstream will be 1000 pounds - will I be safe if I use a weight districution hitch.

This is just a general query as I will get everything weighed.

Appreciate your help.
I tried what you are considering, I mean what can a few hundred pounds do, right?

If the TV is not rated for it, then no, don't do it. You will wear out the rear end components faster than you can say components.

If the TV is rated to tow that load and it's simply a new receiver that is needed, get a new receiver, but stay under the vehicles tow rating.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote