Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #1

Palm Harbor , Florida
Towing a Flying Cloud 25 FB TB

I am a newbie so need advice. Can anyone recommend a best second hand towing vehicle for towing a flying cloud 25 FB TB?
andersontim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
There isn't a "best", but there is one that will suit you. For me, it's a 2012 Dodge Durango. Others will chime in with their choice.

Welcome to the Forums!
Old 01-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Wow, in terms of opinions, you just opened a can of worms. Here's a typical towing thread.

You're going to hear everything from A to Z. I like a diesel pickup because we tow in the mountainous west. Others like SUVs or passenger cars. The best advice I can give you is to look closely at the towing ratings of the vehicles, and compare that to the tongue and loaded weights of your trailer, then make a decision. If you intend to spend time in more mountainous areas, you may want more torque and horsepower. Don't forget that stopping is just as (or more) important as 'going'. Transmission cooling is another factor to consider. Your TV should have a transmission cooler that is capable of standing up to hot weather in the areas you intend to tour.

As a personal rule of thumb, I prefer to keep my towing load to 2/3s (or less) of the tow vehicle rating. Others may have different perspectives.

Good luck.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Any good half ton can do the job. I am towing mine with an '08 Tundra and it pulls fine, even through the mountains out west. As with any half ton you will need to pay attention to the carrying capacity of the TV, not the tow rating. Mine has a very big tow rating, 10,000lbs but a very small capacity.

You will need to think about how you plan to camp. Will you bring lots of "stuff" along and do you have a lot of people in the cab? How about animals and generators and bikes?

Most folks like to have a nice cushion when it comes to weights, hence the move towards 3/4 tons. And, don't forget, what will you do with the TV when not pulling the trailer? Will it be a daily driver or will it stay parked in the garage? Mileage will be poor while towing but some trucks are better than others when driving around town. I am not a brand guy. Get the TV that you like the best and enjoy.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is so little information given about the O.P's specific towing and load carrying needs a good recommendation is impossible.

But here's a shot in the dark; any late model 1/2 ton pickup.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
A bit of an after thought. Look for a TV that has a transmission with tow haul type capabilities. The shift points are changed to optimize for towing, and best of all, they typically will help control speeds when descending a grade.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersontim1 View Post
I am a newbie so need advice. Can anyone recommend a best second hand towing vehicle for towing a flying cloud 25 FB TB?
What is the TB in Flying Cloud 25 FB TB?
I tow a Classic 30 with a 2007 Tundra I bought used in 2008. I like it.
Please not my avatar and signature.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Twin bed? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Welcome to the hive. Go rent the various suggestions and try them out. You don't want a nasty divorce later.
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Long Beach , California
We got rid of a 2011 Durango & went to a Dodge Ram 1500 short bed. Wheel base was to short on the Durango & it just didn't feel stable. We tow a 2002 25' Safari
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fairhope , Alabama
Towing Vehicle

I tow my 25' 2013 FC RB with a 2012 Toyota Sequoia. It has the power and towing capacity for the job. All the features noted in other threads: transmission cooling, rear end leveling, brake support, and special gearing for pulling, are included. I researched all other SUV candidates and chose the Sequoia. This vehicle is built for towing in my opinion. It is also our family car since I traded in the Lexus for it. We already had, and still do, a Highlander which is our running around town car and also for hauling the youngest grandchildren. We previously had a 17' Casita and the Highlander was fine for that. Did Yellowstone and Tetons 3 years ago with that combination and everything performed well. Last year did another western trip - Sedona, Grand Canyon North Rim, Monument Valley, Dead Horse State Park, and Canyonlands - with Airstream/Sequoia combination and performance was great. Hope this helps.
Grey Goose 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
We've been renting since mid-2012 everything from:

A mid-size SUV 2013 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0L V6 3x (not the new ones, but the older truck frame-on-body type) & they also had a V8, as did the Toyota 4Runner V8 & Land Cruiser V8 (also in that mid-size range, but we haven't rented any of them yet.)

To several full size pickups, including: a 1/2T 2013 Ford F150 Extended Cab/6' Bed with the V6/Auto, 2 - 3/4T Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab/8' Bed with the 5.7 V8 & 6.3 V8 Hemi & both Autos, a 3/4T Ford F250 Crew Cab/8' Bed 6.1L V8/Auto.

The F150 & first time Pathfinder were "bare ball" towing without Weight Distribution (WD) nor anti-sway, & the Pathfinder was a white knuckle ride over 55 mph, but the F150 had built-in anti-sway & was pretty good.

After the Pathfinder E-ticket ride - I got a Hensley Cub WD+Anti-sway hitch (sim. to their Arrow & Pro-Pride PPP hitches - more stuff for you to research & get everyone's opinion/preaching), & we're very happy with it since then on 2x Pathfinders + the 3/4T trucks. ALL were jacked up 4x4s.

All TVs were gas powered & all performed the task well on both flat/rolling & mountain pass terrain, but our 1960 Avion T20 is only about 3000-3200# max. wet & loaded - so net near what your new 25' AS will be. So keep that in mind.

For us, the 27-30' long truck + a 21-22' Trailer = a hitched rig of about 50' Long ~ & us climbing 6' high up into a jacked-up 4x4 behemoth 1/2 or 3/4 ton monster - was just uncomfortable in use & ride, handling & parking ~ plus I can only open the beasts' doors 1/4 or 1/3 of the way in our tight driveway ~ not to mention that my wife will NOT drive one hitched nor bare!

So given our driveway space constraints, narrow streets, tight campgrounds, non-towing driving preferences, etc. - the mid-size SUVs fit our needs best, & I'm now looking for a 2006-10 gas V8 powered Porsche Cayenne S with 7716# towing capacity & 770# hitch wt. (with WD - 500# & 500# on the ball, & this is the same rating on all engines of both the Cayenne & twin VW Taureg - except the Hybrids).

If a Cayenne or Taureg tickles your fancy, then there are several topics on here for that vehicle set (including mine), as well as for BMW X5, MBZ ML/GL, etc., as well as the big pick-ups, & just about anything else.

In addition to looking/asking on here, once you narrow to a few or 1-2 prospects, then also go the the websites for owners of those vehicles, & read up on what they do in towing & ask questions there too.

You - & your wife/SO/GF/Family - will need to figure out what fits YOUR needs best, & renting different ones can help, but the tow vehicle rental field is limited in who will let you rent what & actually tow with it!

You'll soon see that there are 2 camps out there - the "only tow with a truck camp" (i.e.: full size pick-up or SUVs) - & the "we tow with a 'not-a-big-ole-truck' camp" .... & anything but what they espouse is heresy!!

But just get what fits your needs & check that the towing capacity numbers & set-up are within that vehicle's limits & safe!

Good Luck & Have Fun!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I might suggest that you join WBCCI and hook up with your local chapter nearby. Odds are that some one in the chapter has a trailer similar to yours, and can relate their experiences first hand to you. Plus, you can actually speak to someone in person about their experiences.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Guelph , Ontario
Contact Andy Thomson at CanAm RV in London Ontario he'll advise you well.
Sharleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:28 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Gatos , California
If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely at least check out the new F150
with the all aluminum body

On paper at least, this truck is very intriguing
Estoniankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
I'm in the process of truck shopping for a TV for my new FC 27'. The GM 1/2 tons with either V-8 drive very well and are very quiet. GM really upgraded the interiors and introduced a new line of DI engines for 2014, a V-6 and two V-8s. I've also test-driven the new F-150 with 3.5 liter ecoboost engine. As between the Ford and the Chevy with the bigger V-8 I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. The Ford had more nifty gadgets; the Chevy has slightly better seats (comparable trim packages with leather). The smaller Chevy V-8 seems weaker than it really is because of throttle mapping. Just seems sluggish. Also test drove a Chevy 2500 LTZ. It feels and drives like the heavy vehicle that it is, and the engine makes all kind of interesting sounds. Supposedly, this is the most car-like of the 3/4 tons; I can only imagine what the big Ram and Ford are like. I've sat in the Ram with the Cummins diesel idling, but we didn't drive it. I do know that when you switch it off, the whole truck shakes. Can't imagine that you would need or want a 3/4 ton. They're a chore to drive and the fuel economy benefits of the diesel are negated by the extra 1000-1500. Lbs weight of the truck and the higher price of diesel fuel ( in the U.S. at least).
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersontim1 View Post
Well I've had the very same airstream 2014 for about a year now. Love it. I'm not sure about what kind of TV your looking for and I was not sure how much truck I needed so I went all out and got a 2015 F250 Diesel FX4. No problems as all pulling it. Don't even know its back there. Enjoy yourself. Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:25 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Gatos , California
The reduced weight of the aluminum body gives the new 150 pretty amazing payload capabilities.

Don't know about the ride, tranny pairing, fit and finish, but for towing
a 25-30' trailer with a half ton truck, seems hard to beat
Estoniankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Beaufort , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
We've been renting since mid-2012 everything from:

A mid-size SUV 2013 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0L V6 3x (not the new ones, but the older truck frame-on-body type) & they also had a V8, as did the Toyota 4Runner V8 & Land Cruiser V8 (also in that mid-size range, but we haven't rented any of them yet.)

To several full size pickups, including: a 1/2T 2013 Ford F150 Extended Cab/6' Bed with the V6/Auto, 2 - 3/4T Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab/8' Bed with the 5.7 V8 & 6.3 V8 Hemi & both Autos, a 3/4T Ford F250 Crew Cab/8' Bed 6.1L V8/Auto.

The F150 & first time Pathfinder were "bare ball" towing without Weight Distribution (WD) nor anti-sway, & the Pathfinder was a white knuckle ride over 55 mph, but the F150 had built-in anti-sway & was pretty good.

After the Pathfinder E-ticket ride - I got a Hensley Cub WD+Anti-sway hitch (sim. to their Arrow & Pro-Pride PPP hitches - more stuff for you to research & get everyone's opinion/preaching), & we're very happy with it since then on 2x Pathfinders + the 3/4T trucks. ALL were jacked up 4x4s.

All TVs were gas powered & all performed the task well on both flat/rolling & mountain pass terrain, but our 1960 Avion T20 is only about 3000-3200# max. wet & loaded - so net near what your new 25' AS will be. So keep that in mind.

For us, the 27-30' long truck + a 21-22' Trailer = a hitched rig of about 50' Long ~ & us climbing 6' high up into a jacked-up 4x4 behemoth 1/2 or 3/4 ton monster - was just uncomfortable in use & ride, handling & parking ~ plus I can only open the beasts' doors 1/4 or 1/3 of the way in our tight driveway ~ not to mention that my wife will NOT drive one hitched nor bare!

So given our driveway space constraints, narrow streets, tight campgrounds, non-towing driving preferences, etc. - the mid-size SUVs fit our needs best, & I'm now looking for a 2006-10 gas V8 powered Porsche Cayenne S with 7716# towing capacity & 770# hitch wt. (with WD - 500# & 500# on the ball, & this is the same rating on all engines of both the Cayenne & twin VW Taureg - except the Hybrids).

If a Cayenne or Taureg tickles your fancy, then there are several topics on here for that vehicle set (including mine), as well as for BMW X5, MBZ ML/GL, etc., as well as the big pick-ups, & just about anything else.

In addition to looking/asking on here, once you narrow to a few or 1-2 prospects, then also go the the websites for owners of those vehicles, & read up on what they do in towing & ask questions there too.

You - & your wife/SO/GF/Family - will need to figure out what fits YOUR needs best, & renting different ones can help, but the tow vehicle rental field is limited in who will let you rent what & actually tow with it!

You'll soon see that there are 2 camps out there - the "only tow with a truck camp" (i.e.: full size pick-up or SUVs) - & the "we tow with a 'not-a-big-ole-truck' camp" .... & anything but what they espouse is heresy!!

But just get what fits your needs & check that the towing capacity numbers & set-up are within that vehicle's limits & safe!

Good Luck & Have Fun!
Tom
///////

Renting a TV? Never really thought about that. I would think the rental agencies would not allow towing without a high daily fee add on.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Beaufort, SC
sckinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
It all depends on where you plan on traveling to - if you plan on towing through the mountains, look to a heavier TV.

Our travels from Ontario to AZ, CA, NM & NV each winter plus summer travels is done in a 3/4 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 Cummins Diesel. My own test on flat land at 55 mph yielded 16.5 mpg when towing my 32-ft AS.

Diesel fuel is much denser than gasoline - approximately 50% BTU's for the same volume. So, our politicians decided to base the tax on the energy stored rather than the volume, hence the higher price; considering that there is a greater cost to refining gasoline, that's like robbing the rich to pay the poor.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote