Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2003, 06:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Riverside , Missouri
towing a '66 Safari

I am looking at purchasing a 22' 66 Safari. For the short term future, I would be moving/towing it with a 66 GMC 3/4 ton truck. Since I am new to this kind of thing, I was looking for opinions on wether this truck can tow a trailer like this. I would only use it to tow the trailer within a 60 mile radius, but usually more like 20 miles at any one time. Truck is very sound mechanically. Also, does anyone know the tongue weight of this trailer? Thanks for your help and opinions.
BURNZEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
My biggest concern with the truck is the Drum breaks being over heated by the aditional weight if the trailer breaks are not up to snuff. Get a GOOD break controler like the Jordan or the prodigy and if the truck brakes are up to snuff you should be ok on that front.

Next question is engine size in the truck. 252 and 292 I would have some concern but should be ok otherwise.

Lastly is the gear ratio. In the 60's GM wasn't so timid about putting in some gear because it was before the gas crunch. You probably have a 3.73 gear and you should be fine.

Trailer is going to be about 4,000 lb loaded simular to our Caravanner. Our caravanner has bad manners without a sway control of some sort. Single axle trailers with a lot of isde area seem to have this trait. Don't even notice it with the sway control.
I would recomend 750lb weight bars and Dual cam Reese set up. Seems to work very well on ours. At the very least get a friction sway control.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Riverside , Missouri
Thanks 59 toaster. This is super valuable information. Took the plunge and purchased the airstream. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'll probably have many questions in the future.
Thanks again.
BURNZEE is offline   Reply With Quote