Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #21
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
In all the years I drove and towed with an X5, I never recall wishing I was driving a pickup truck. The X5 towed better than either of my Expeditions did. They weren't bad, but the X5 excelled.

The OP is discussing a 22 Sport. That would tow nicely behind my X3, let alone an X5.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #22

2018 22' Sport
Nashville , Tennessee
I have this weird thing and have no idea what to do with it.

tkambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #23
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkambler View Post
I have this weird thing and have no idea what to do with it.
Yes, that is a type of hidden hitch. Ignore all the comments above talking about larger balls and shanks, pipe wrenches, and pickup trucks.

That hitch is designed to be hidden when the ball and mount is removed. It caters to those for whom style is more important than function. I don’t mind seeing a receiver when I am not towing. I do have a rubber plug in it that says BMW, but that is just me.

Option one is to buy a new hitch ball designed to attach to the detachable arm you have. Check out execuhitch, and make sure the bolt pattern is compatible. This is the cheapest option.

http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/ball-mounts/

Option two is to purchase an arm that goes into your vertical socket and has a 2” square receiver. This will also allow you to use a bike rack. This option is not recommended for towing as it allows too much flex and extends the ball rearward without being strong enough to use WD equipment.

Option three is to get a traditional receiver installed. Check out etrailer for options for your vehicle. You will get a 2” square receiver, and you can then install any length ball carrier to mount the correctly sized ball.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2018_BMW_X5.htm

I recommend option 3. I would look at a Curt hitch, but others are comparable.

Hope that helps

Jeff
Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #24
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yes, the OEM BMW hitch has gone from best, to won't work with AS, to the latest version with a replaceable ball. The latter looks like what you have, but I've never seen or used one. Contact the dealer parts department for a 2-5/16 ball. If that hitch does not accomodate the 2-5/16 ball and you told your sales associate you wanted to tow an AS, you may be able to get it removed and replaced with an aftermarket receiver hitch by them. Not all dealers will do that, but a number of folks applied that pressure and I believe that is why the OEM hitch has a replacable ball.

JCL and Bono are knowlegable sources with respect to BMW towing. Search on X5 towing here and on Bimmerfest for more info.

IMHO, for an F15 X5, get an after market 6000lb/600lb receiver style hitch. Curt and Drawtite offer product. JCL's option 3 above. For older x5s the OEM hitch is reported to have an advantage.

No, you do not need the CanAm hitch upgrades for a 22. You do need to understand the circumstances around weight distribution and sway control solutions for this vehicle. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #25

2018 22' Sport
Nashville , Tennessee
jcl, PKI - Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. I am going to see about having this replaced with a more traditional hitch.
tkambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
Give it a try. But you will buy an F-150 before long though. More power, heaver tow vehicle, more carrying capacity,... You will make the change down the road and be glad you did.
If you research the capabilities of the BMW vs the F-150 you will soon see that the BMW is a far better tow vehicle. The only thing you can say for a 1/2 ton pickup truck is that the bed has more room to bring along gear for your camping trip.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
If you research the capabilities of the BMW vs the F-150 you will soon see that the BMW is a far better tow vehicle. The only thing you can say for a 1/2 ton pickup truck is that the bed has more room to bring along gear for your camping trip.

I’m not defending pickups, but another thing you can say about most 1/2 ton pickups is that you can get them repaired quickly pretty much anywhere on the continent.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #28
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkambler View Post
jcl, PKI - Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. I am going to see about having this replaced with a more traditional hitch.
That’s a solid plan. While the BMW hitch isn’t as useful, the dealer will have installed the integrated BMW wiring connection along with it, and it is the only way to go. Don’t let a hitch seller talk you into their wiring kit.

Jeff
Old 04-07-2019, 04:02 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I’m not defending pickups, but another thing you can say about most 1/2 ton pickups is that you can get them repaired quickly pretty much anywhere on the continent.
Very good point. You can't just bring a BMW to any old shop for repair.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #30
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Very good point. You can't just bring a BMW to any old shop for repair.
Why not? Do you not have competent shops nearby?

I still use the dealer for our current BMW for some items. But I also use an independent shop that has no trouble working on BMWs. And I work on it myself, which is pretty straightforward once you get access to the full service manuals. I've never been stranded when travelling up country, and we have a lot of empty country here. But then I 've only been driving them since 1994.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Don't know about BMW but there are no Mercedes dealers in the 2000 miles between Edmonton and Fairbanks. As far as local shops I once brought it in for routine service and he totally botched that up.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
I love my balls...
Have a light weight stinger with 2 1/4" for the utility trailer.
Have a huge and heavy Equalizer hitch with the 2 5/16" ball for the AS.
Gotta have the right size for the right tow.

And the correct drawbar is essential to all else...

Remember - greased balls are the best for good towing else they squeak.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
West Valley City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
dont do that

the 2" receiver works as a system with the rest of the installed undercarriage towing equipment h/w. adding a larger ball will NOT increase your capacity.

the receiver size is tied to the capacity of the whole undercarriage towing assembly

unfortunately if you want to use the larger ball, you will need to update the undercarriage towing equipment as a whole.

if not, you may end up failure one day as you drive.
The size of the ball does NOT affect anything about the undercarriage portion of the system. The size of the ball needs to be 2 5/16 because that size matches the "socket" of the tongue on the trailer. Using a 2" ball will leave space in socket which will make the connection between the trailer tongue and the TV loose. The larger ball itself has a higher weight capacity.
I just went through this scenario myself. I purchased a second hand Equalizer Hitch which came with a 2" ball. My information said to use a 2 5/16. After I bought the ball I couldn't find the tools to properly torque the ball onto the hitch. I wound up taking the hitch head into a local Equalizer shop. A young woman switched the new ball onto the hitch for $10. I offered more but she would only take $10. It just took a few minutes. It was honestly harder to carry the rig into the shop than to get it done.
Rhuffer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #34
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
Yeah, some confusion here with 2" ball or 2" receiver. Only use the ball size for your trailer (2-5/16), otherwise your trailer will end up in the ditch.... I'm sure that was already figured out.
Check your owners manual for towing weights, should have 2 capacities listed - with and without weight distributing hitch. Unless you are towing a little Basecamp, I'd always recommend the weight distributing setup as it makes a much more stable setup with added weight on front axle
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #35
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardglass View Post
Yeah, some confusion here with 2" ball or 2" receiver. Only use the ball size for your trailer (2-5/16), otherwise your trailer will end up in the ditch.... I'm sure that was already figured out.
Check your owners manual for towing weights, should have 2 capacities listed - with and without weight distributing hitch. Unless you are towing a little Basecamp, I'd always recommend the weight distributing setup as it makes a much more stable setup with added weight on front axle
The OP doesn’t have a receiver, it is a quick detach hitch. It is impossible to use WD. Because that is the hitch the manufacturer sells, it would be surprising to see a hitch rating for use with WD equipment.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #36
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
Jcl - good to know! I can see why this thread was a bit confusing... Haha
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote