Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Hasbro

2017 25' Flying Cloud
LAKE STEVENS , WA
Towing 25 FB with 2013 Touareg

So after reading dozens of posts about the subject of using a Cayenne, Q7, or Touareg TDI to tow an AS, I decided to go with a FC 25FB to pull behind my Touareg. The dealer set it up with a Blue Ox 1000# WDH. It took a while for him to get it set, and it wasn't perfect, but I drove it the 30 miles home and although the nose felt a little light it was okay. Since then I've been tinkering around to try and get it a bit more dialed in, but having trouble getting it where it feels right. I know I need to get it out to some scales, but I'd like to at least have it be somewhat leveled before I go.

I've pulled the spare and put it in the back to move some weight off the tongue, but when the coupler sits down on the ball, the rear end squats quite a LOT. The shank for the Blue Ox extends quite a ways out from the receiver. Probably about 8-10 inches. It seems like that could be part of the problem as it's putting the tongue weight of the AS even further back. As I say, I've read a lot of posts about people successfully towing 25' FB's without problem. And when I drove it home from the dealer I had no problem towing it. It had plenty of power and I got 17+ mpg on the ride. I just need to figure out how to get it set up right. Any advice would be great. I don't have air suspension. Thanks,
bobwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Without a pic of your setup it's hard to say, but if you can cut the shank to bring the hitch head in as close as possible and drill a new hitch pin hole, it may solve some of your issues.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I wouldn't pull it without having the hitch reinforced. Especially if the Blue Ox is that far away from the receiver. Good recipe to rip it right off. I had the hitch reinforced on my 2014 ML350 by CanAm and they shortened the shank and drilled a new hole to put my Reese Dual Cam up as close as they could get it to the receiver. VW expressly prohibits the use of a WD hitch. I guess you know all this right?
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
2017 23' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
New York , New York
Hmmm I looked into using a Q7 and/or a Touareg as well with a 23D.. You may want to check the owners guide on your VW under the trailer towing section.

The VW guides don't seem to be online and while they are *really* capable vehicles, the 2013 Q7 and 2017 Q7 manual both state in the trailer towing section that you should "Never install a "weight distributing" or "load equalizing" hitch on your vehicle. The vehicle was not designed for these kinds of trailer hitches. The hitch attachment can fail, causing the trailer to tear loose from the vehicle" (Page 241 - direct quote 2013 Q7 OG - http://ownersmanual.audiusa.com and same for the 2017)

The 2013 Q7 does have a hitch carrying capacity of a hefty 662lb and the 2017 Q7 a whopping 770lbs but that's probably still not enough for where you are at with the 25. Given all this it's probably not surprising it's going to feel a bit off, and you may need to look at more radical options.
mattskav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Have you weighed the tongue weight of your 25' ? I would not be surprised if the tongue weight is over 1000# (hence, the squat you see). IMO, shortening the shank has negligible benefits as far as weight distribution or trailer stability is concerned. Here is a post on its effect on weight distribution:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Online forums are a good place to get opinions but you'd rather have expert advice. Here is a link to North America's best hitch shop, I've used them for advice and it has been extremely helpful. I asked about using a Touareg TDI with our Airstream and they said it was one of the best handling, most stable tow vehicles I could get. They have set up about 250 Touaregs for towing. Trouble was, that was this past year and I couldn't get a new one so bought a Ram 3.0 Ecodiesel instead. Very happy with the similar engine and 8-speed transmission.

Can-Am RV in London, Ontario is the hitch shop and they specialize in combinations like yours. Fill out the on-line form and see what they have to say.

http://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/contact/

I suspect they may not like the hitch you are using, suggest stronger weight distribution bars, strongly insist you get the hitch ball as close to the Touareg bumper as possible, and probably ask you to reinforce the Touareg hitch receiver so that you can get enough weight distribution rather than just flexing of the receiver assembly.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
On the VW/Audi/Porsche manuals with prohibition or warnings of WD hitches, I find it odd that -

1st, they test for towing capacity & write their manuals for Europe, where WD hitches have been legally prohibited since the 1960's - not the USA.

2nd, all 3 of Touareg/Q7/Cayenne factory hitches on every one of the 3 of any model year which I've seen, lists both bearing & WD ratings on their labels!

That said - get a Sherline hitch scale or rig something up to get your AS's REAL HW & work with the weight & balance on how you load the trailer to get down within your T-Reg's HW limit, which is probably around 700 lbs. - preferably try to get within say 80% of that, while maintaining the 10-15% of total trailer wt.

Also - contact Andy at CanAm & get the T-Reg hitch reinforcement info, so you can have yours reinforced. IIRC there is something on that & how a member on here had his done locally in CA, in the topic listed below, but I don't recall where it is in there.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...rs-134917.html

Others in that topic have towed 25's & bigger with T/Q7/C TVs, so you should be able to get it dialed in.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We have pulled our 25' 2012 Intnl. FB Airstream with our 2014 Touareg TDI all over the mountains of the west. From seal level to just shy or 10,000 feet. It pulls like a dream. We had Andy Thomson's folks at Can-Am RV Centre strengthen the receiver and set up the hitch. I've read of other west coast people using Andy for advice, parts & instructions to get the perfect setup. You might call him.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
El Cajon , California
25 FB and 2013 Cayenne

I have a 25 FB and my TV is/was a 2013 Cayenne diesel. The equalizer that I use is a 10K Equalizer. I've towed it from coast to coast and often set the cruise control for 65 mph. I've not had any problems with the set up. I scaled the car and trailer on a trip where we were pretty loaded with personal items. The entire unit weighed 12,300 which is close to a ton under the car's gross rating.

I also have a noticeable squat when hitching up but its only a matter of inches. Like previous authors the weight on the hitch worries me. Unfortunately I have yet to figure out how much of that there is. The equalizer is a heavy unit - that coupled with the tongue weight leads me to believe that I must be exceeding the hitch's capacity. I watch the hitch like a hawk looking for any signs of fatigue.

I've just added to the tow vehicle fleet with the purchase of an F250 diesel. It was more a matter of wanting to bring lots of toys then worry over the Cayenne.
Pullingtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Indianapolis , Indiana
I've towed my 09 27FB Intl with my 2012 Touareg TDI without a problem. TDI has so much torque, barely feel it. Use a Hensley and also had Can AM install the brake controller and reinforce the hitch. Not sure though what's going to happen with the VW settlement. Don't really want to turn it in, but slightly worried about their fix, which is non existent!
amckibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Hasbro

2017 25' Flying Cloud
LAKE STEVENS , WA
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll contact CanAm and see if I can get some additional information, and post something back when I have an update.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wexford , Pennsylvania
Sorry for being redundant, but yes, CanAm in London, Ontario / Andy Thompson is the solution. He'll shorten the hitch and reinforce it to the frame. I traded to a Dodge Durango with a 5.7 Hemi from a larger pickup and had some concerns because I gave up so much pulling power, but I'm good to go.
Anna girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Not an exact match but we do have a 2014 Touareg TDI pulling a 23D using an equalizer and been very happy with it. My only concern is the tongue weight and have been itching to get my receiver reinforce just an extra precaution. I've yet to find someone I know/trust around my neck of the wood to do it and I don't feel like trekking to Canada :P
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Waterloo , Ontario
One of the 250

I'm one of the 250 set up by CanAm. 2014 Touareg TDI, 2007 27FB.
I decided to go ProPride instead of the usual WD that CanAm uses. Can't disagree with CanAm, just hated the noise of the anti-sway friction bars and couldn't get them to be quiet.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm a huge advocate of all 4 (AS, T-reg, ProPride, CanAm). I feel very fortunate to be able to experience what I consider to be "best in class" for each of the 4 (trailer, TV, hitch, dealer).

Richard
Rhinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
wow...

I would be very surprised if your VW is within specs pulling that 25FB, with a hitch weight of at least 900+ lbs (with any cargo in the AS up front). Can you tow it; sure; but what payload do you have left in the VW? Many folks here tow with all kinds of SUV's, but why would you stress out when you can get a TV set up for towing knowing you will likely get there safely? Not trying to rain...just asking.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinno View Post
I'm one of the 250 set up by CanAm. 2014 Touareg TDI, 2007 27FB.
I decided to go ProPride instead of the usual WD that CanAm uses. Can't disagree with CanAm, just hated the noise of the anti-sway friction bars and couldn't get them to be quiet.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm a huge advocate of all 4 (AS, T-reg, ProPride, CanAm). I feel very fortunate to be able to experience what I consider to be "best in class" for each of the 4 (trailer, TV, hitch, dealer).

Richard
Only if you had Michelin tires... Then you would have had the BEST combo EVER, at least per whats on the Internet

To the OP: if you are looking for others to validate your decision, clearly, this forum is the place. I'm going to offer an alternate opinion (I'm an engineer and I look at numbers first). A modern 25' Airstream has a tongue weight of around 1000#. Just ask owners who have weighed their tongue weight. Toureg's hitch is rated several hundreds lower than that and the manual says not to use a weight distribution hitch.

Ask the shop that is going to reinforce your hitch how much weight can the hitch carry after reinforcement? Then ask them if they are willing to put this in writing. You CAN exceed the hitch rating and I doubt anything would happen immediately (all hitches have some safety margin built in). Remember, just because something can be done, it does not mean it should be done.

Good luck!
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
I am not an engineer, I am doing international taxes, therefore, in relation to towing I am looking for options of real experts. Call Andy Thomson, if you do not want to end up towing with a pick up.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Dallas , Texas
Using Cayenne plus 27FB and Equalizer hitch. Hitch is loud as hell (in particular in parking lots) but drives great.
AirDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
Our 2nd Touareg

We have been towing our 28 Airstream for several years from the flat lands to the Rocky Mountain National Park. The first was a 2004 6 cylinder gas Touareg and now with a 2014 TDI. Love it. We have a Hensley hitch which is great. Over 20,000 miles with great mileage .
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #20
Hasbro

2017 25' Flying Cloud
LAKE STEVENS , WA
I was thinking about going back to an Equalizer. That's what I had when I had a 2009 Bambi, but the dealer thought the Blue Ox would be a better match. I don't think they really understood setting up a Touareg with a 25FB