Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,004
Blog Entries: 4
Upgrading trailer to GT then TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Jeff, I see a couple of issues I would like to point out. Your bars do seem to be a a little bit more of a down angle than they should, but this is only relevant for clearance issues. If you have the proper amount of WD tension, then all is good. The second, and I think you are already aware of this, is the length of your shank. I would try to get one that puts the ball as close as you can to the bumper to negate the leverage effect the long shank is having. Lastly, it may be the angle of your pic, but your safety chains don't look right. They should be crossed under your hitch to provide a cradle effect that would catch the trailer should it break loose from the TV.
Early in December my wife and I started talking about how much we loved the AS experience but not our FC23FBQ’s cramped dinette setup.

That led to a visit to the original dealer looking at what we’d get to replace it. Long story short, we placed an order for a 27’ Globetrotter Twin due end of March.

I felt we could manage it with our Touareg given the other posters feedback. Wife pressed me after Christmas to confirm “everything would be fine”. My inner voice paused long enough that I said “well...”. That led to a visit to three dealers and test drives. Ended up with a ‘19 RAM 1500 with 11,400 tow capacity, more safety features and no more (towing) worries.
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #42
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Early in December my wife and I started talking about how much we loved the AS experience but not our FC23FBQ’s cramped dinette setup.

That led to a visit to the original dealer looking at what we’d get to replace it. Long story short, we placed an order for a 27’ Globetrotter Twin due end of March.

I felt we could manage it with our Touareg given the other posters feedback. Wife pressed me after Christmas to confirm “everything would be fine”. My inner voice paused long enough that I said “well...”. That led to a visit to three dealers and test drives. Ended up with a ‘19 RAM 1500 with 11,400 tow capacity, more safety features and no more (towing) worries.
That's could work out great for you....what is the "payload" of your new RAM? Hitch weight on your new 27GT is likely over the 820lbs...add in normal trailer loading stuff including water, the vehicle load including passengers and what you plan to carry, and your likely around 1400lbs or more payload? Remember, the sticker on the doorjam is the bible here; not the sales guy or the spec sheets. Curious if RAM has increased in this area on the 1/2T's?
By the way, the GT is a beauty! I've been looking at the 25' model myself!
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #43
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,004
Blog Entries: 4
Follow Up: 2019 RAM 1500 Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
That's could work out great for you....what is the "payload" of your new RAM? Hitch weight on your new 27GT is likely over the 820lbs...add in normal trailer loading stuff including water, the vehicle load including passengers and what you plan to carry, and your likely around 1400lbs or more payload? Remember, the sticker on the doorjam is the bible here; not the sales guy or the spec sheets. Curious if RAM has increased in this area on the 1/2T's?
By the way, the GT is a beauty! I've been looking at the 25' model myself!
Gypsydad, sorry I missed your question about capacity of the 19’ RAM 1500 until now - you also asked on another thread, my apologies!

Sticker on the door jamb says “1200” so to your point, much less than the 1840 manufacturers number.

While I understand the sticker is the Bible number, I subscribe to the idea that other members suggest - the Axle load rating is the more important number.

I plan to visit the CAT scales to ensure we’re under the Front 3900 and Rear 4100 lbs ratings.

There’s a YouTube video from Edmund’s reviewing the ‘19 RAM 1500 towing a 25’ FC with four people and gear. I am sure they exceeded the 1200 lbs cargo rating but the wheels didn’t fall off.

I’m not suggesting anyone ignore the capacity number - just consider how you load and where then be smart. I don’t plan to pile a “Grapes of Wrath” load on the truck :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4975DAB-E9FE-465A-BD43-585ED91043D2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	331890   Click image for larger version

Name:	C91564C0-FC4A-4108-BD91-BAC03F58797E.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	331891  

jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #44
.-. -...
 
Adventure.AS's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Gypsydad, sorry I missed your question about capacity of the 19’ RAM 1500 until now - you also asked on another thread, my apologies!

Sticker on the door jamb says “1200” so to your point, much less than the 1840 manufacturers number.

While I understand the sticker is the Bible number, I subscribe to the idea that other members suggest - the Axle load rating is the more important number.

I plan to visit the CAT scales to ensure we’re under the Front 3900 and Rear 4100 lbs ratings.

...

I’m not suggesting anyone ignore the capacity number - just consider how you load and where then be smart. I don’t plan to pile a “Grapes of Wrath” load on the truck :-)
If you closely at the label it uses the word "should" never exceed rather than 'must'.

" ‘Must’ and ‘should’ are both modal verbs.
MUST is used when expressing obligation or an unavoidable requirement, whereas SHOULD is more of a recommendation, or simply a desirable goal."
__________________
Ray B.
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #45
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,047
Images: 1
^
We should have a choice between how we interpret our obligation before we decide how we must decide. 🤯

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #46
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,402
I guess my point is more of a lesson I learned after I invested in a new 2012 Platinum F150 4x4 EB, which I used for 5 years pulling my 25' AS's.. It only had a 1039lb Payload, but I didn't know about the Payload rating and importance of compliance, the first 3 years...I towed the 25'AS, 2 passengers, a boxer, kayaks, camp gear, etc.; tongue weight was 850lbs alone...so I was way over capacity of the Payload. Fortunately for me/us, I didn't have any wrecks so no issues with the insurance companies for being over the recommended limit. Now, a bit wiser, I try to stay within the recommended limits...with the larger 2200lb payload, scale weights for the loaded 28'AS, I am well within my limits now, should something happen.

Some folks don't care to follow the specs...to each his own.

Another point; I would not rely on anyone's advice here, who may suggest going over the recommended weight limits of MFG specs is "ok"... I did have the misfortune of going thru an accident investigation 25 years ago when my son rolled our Expedition while on a ski trip thru Colorado with a group of college kids. They hit a treacherous wind storm at night and one of the kids had serious back injury so the parents sued us and Ford. Ended up getting settled with my insurance and Ford, but lots of questions about weight, loading, tires, etc. that decided the outcome. Better to be safe and within limits...the older I get, the more convinced I get...
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Touareg 2 towing capacity sfmcdermott Tow Vehicles 255 04-18-2014 08:04 PM
Towing an Airstream With a Touareg imaginair Tow Vehicles 13 12-19-2011 03:59 PM
Anyone towing 27FB (7,600 lbs / 770 lbs tongue) with a V8 or TDI Touareg ? Timofeevich Tow Vehicles 41 09-23-2011 05:55 PM
Towing with a Touareg ColdEspresso Tow Vehicles 33 07-21-2011 11:23 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.