Old 08-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #1

Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Tow Vehicles Again?

I know I know. Another question about tow vehicles???
Perhaps asked a more specific way. I have a new 2020 F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost and 3.55 axel with payload capacity of 2030 lbs and rated towing capacity of 12,700. As we have all read (ad nauseum) it gets really complicated when trying to do the math on hauling an AS. Some have written that payload rating is paramount, others are fixated on hitches, others clearly at the end of their forum rope have stated that the topic has been exhaustively written about ALREADY.. Lots of opinions... and seeking a real world forum opinion that was spurred by my recent “professional” conversation with a AS rep stated that any trailer “that exceeded 25 feet should probably NOT be towed with an F150 period.”
Background: Mostly nonmountainous terrain here in Northern Wisconsin, although I see myself driving to the mountains occasionally. I don’t actually plan on hauling a load of sand at the same time I am on vacation, and the wife and 2 dogs don’t weighh that much, so payload is not a big concern.
I am looking to buy as long an AS as my TW will “comfortably tow”. And by comfortably tow I mean I am super spoiled by nature: I don’t like to know constantly every second that I am towing something. It’s nice to drift off and pretend sometimes that your vehicle isn’t being manhandled by whatever's is attached. I am headed to a F350 with this attitude? I’d love to hear stories from those that have a similar / tongue weight / towing capacity and pull 33 foot ASs and don’t stress about it.

BenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
That vehicle will comfortably tow any Airstream in the fleet (well, maybe not the 33) The larger you go, the greater the tongue weight which will impinge upon what you can carry.

I towed a 31’ Sovereign for some 80000 miles with a 2004 Nissan Titan. Never had a “white knuckle” moment, Went practically everywhere. My only limitation was that I could not carry more than 250# of stuff in the truck (besides the two humans)
And that truck had nowhere near the torque your eco boost has. The only upgrade to the Titan was aftermarket slotted disks.

Your F150 has similar numbers to the 3/4 ton pickups of just a few years ago. It is a very capable tow vehicle indeed.

Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
So I just ordered the exact same setup. Coming in a few weeks. I am trading in my 2017 F150 that is pretty identical except I’ll have a few add ons that I would like. I pull a 28’ and it does great. Plenty of power. Having said that these are the things I have done to make it better:
1) Roadmaster suspension system. (About $650 installed).
2) Propride Hitch. Not cheap, but the hitch makes all the difference towing.

I can level it great. I get no sway. I have pulled it in 30mph cross winds across South Dakota going 70mph; no problem. And I basically go driving down the road and am pretty relaxed.

And you will have a pickup that won’t beat you up as a daily driver. YOU DO NOT need an F350.

NOW if you are going to be driving all over the country for weeks at a time you might consider a gas F250 for the payload and durability. But they sit 6 inches higher than an F150. Have a terrible turning radius. And the ride is stiffer.

It really depends upon how often you are going to tow. My wife and I are out about 5 weeks a year. That means 47 weeks of the year I’m driving that F150 as a daily driver. Now if it was reversed I’d have a diesel or gas F250.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:56 PM   #4

Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Great advice. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #5

Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Good to hear from a “grizzled veteran “. Thanks!