Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Morton , Illinois
Tow Vehicle vs. MPG

I am new to this forum, new to Airstream and in need of some solid advice from folks with experience. I am switching from a 14,000 lb 5th wheel pulled by a Ford 7.3 L Diesel dually to… a 1/2 ton (Dodge, Ford or Chevy) gasoline powered pickup, pulling a 25ft. Airstream with a GVWR of 7300 lbs.

The truck dealers I have been working with pretend to know all about towing until I get into the real specifics, then they give me a look that says “I haven’t the foggiest idea what you are talking about” and I get the first idea that pops into their head. Like asking a politician for an honest answer.

If anyone can help, please be specific with engine size, rear axle ratio and approximate mpg under different conditions e.g. Mountain driving, against a strong head wind, or on an expressway at 70 mph etc. I want a truck that blends the power to handle winds and hills yet gets a reasonable mpg. Actually I don’t really know what is a reasonable mpg pulling an Airstream. What should I expect? Or hope for?
Hoboplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I tow a 1975 31' AS with a similar GVW. Mine weighs around 5200# empty and just a tad over 6,000# for weekend camping. We tow with a 2003 F150 4.6l V-8 3:55 rear end, factory towing package. Mileage towing on flat ground is ~13mpg or a bit less. Truck doing the same trip not towing gets ~19-20mpg. I won't tow in the mountains with that rig and I try to stay around 65mph as my max speed. For mountain or longer distance towing I switch to my 1996 F 350 PSD CC... in it, or on it, it IS going with it! Funny thing is the dually gets about 14mpg... towing, go figure. But it does have the 4:10 rear in it.

One thing to be very careful of is the truck loading. If you are towing it will quite often deduct from the amount of weight you can carry in the truck not leaving you with any carrying capacity.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Hobo 2014 Sierra 1500, 3.42, 5.3L usually 11.3mpg. Just got back from a Denver/Albuquerque/Las Vegas trip. Mountain passes, hills of western of NM. Cruise at 63mph (65mph rated tires). No problem towing. Issues with 1/2 ton and why mine is trading this week for a 2500 is lack of weight capacity on the truck side. With full fuel, wife, dog, nothing in the bed, ProPride and FC25RB I have 80-90# left for cargo in the truck. Again, tows like a champ through steep hills. But forget putting anything in it that you might normally carry. Some folks never weigh their rigs but I want to know where I am from a safety standpoint.

Something to think about now if you are considering getting a new truck. So a one ton Gas or Diesel might be a better choice if you want to safely carry stuff in the truck bed.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Do you have a reason for getting rid of the Ford? I have towed all sizes of Airstreams with 3/4 ton Dodge diesels, both a 99 and a 2013 and run 14 to 16 mpg. I doubt a gas 1/2 ton would do any better and possibly not quite as well.. Of course there may be other reasons to replace the Ford.
My best guess, based on delivering numerous fifth wheels is you will see about a 3 mpg improvement over your fiver with the Airstream because of the aerodynamics which is much more important than the weight.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We pull are 25 FC with a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi with3.92 rear end. When we left for Florida this year the truck had 700 miles, pulling the trailer we got 13.2 mpg, that included going through the mountains of Tennessee. Without the trailer our mpg was 20-21 while driving the interstate around Tampa. I expect the mileage will increase as more miles are driven.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
When I pulled my 25' Excella (6800 gvw, I think) with a 1997 F150 with a 3.73 I got 9-11 mpg. I did not tow it enough to break it down the way you asked. I would just fill the tank and hope for 10 and go,

Now I pull it with a 2500 dodge diesel (2007) and get 14-16 mpg. Headwinds cuts it to 13.5-14. Give me flat ground and a tailwind and 17 is doable.

just curious, what millage did you get with your Ford and 5th wheel?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
15-16 mpg seems to be the magic number for many different kinds of tow vehicles - from diesel trucks to SUVs or even vans.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I generally get 11-11.5 MPG(US) towing our 31' Classic with a 2008 Sierra 2500HD diesel at interstate speeds of 70-75mph.

No doubt I'd do better if I slowed down a bit - and I do try! I usually start out the day slower, but soon wind up just keeping up with the flow!

Oh well, at least I have the 16" Michelin LT tires on now so the 65mph towing restriction with ST trailer tires is gone!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We tow a 30' Classic with a 2013 2500 Ram, rated that year to tow 17,000# !! Climbs like a dream, great exhaust braking, many creature comforts. Towing: ~ 13.8 mpg. In town: ~17+, Open road with two kayaks on top: ~ 21+ !!

Only 12K miles on the engine…not broken in yet!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboplayer View Post
I am new to this forum, new to Airstream and in need of some solid advice from folks with experience. I am switching from a 14,000 lb 5th wheel pulled by a Ford 7.3 L Diesel dually to… a 1/2 ton (Dodge, Ford or Chevy) gasoline powered pickup, pulling a 25ft. Airstream with a GVWR of 7300 lbs.

The truck dealers I have been working with pretend to know all about towing until I get into the real specifics, then they give me a look that says “I haven’t the foggiest idea what you are talking about” and I get the first idea that pops into their head. Like asking a politician for an honest answer.

If anyone can help, please be specific with engine size, rear axle ratio and approximate mpg under different conditions e.g. Mountain driving, against a strong head wind, or on an expressway at 70 mph etc. I want a truck that blends the power to handle winds and hills yet gets a reasonable mpg. Actually I don’t really know what is a reasonable mpg pulling an Airstream. What should I expect? Or hope for?
I don't think a 25 foot Airstream has a GVW of 7300 pounds.

The axles are not rated that high. What year 25 footer do you have.

All you need if you still want a truck, is a 1/2 ton, with a transmission oil cooler.

Then when traveling, be aware of the winds. When you have headwinds, slow down, and with tail winds, you can speed up.

A properly installed airspeed indicator like they use in airplanes tells you what the winds are. Contrary to some opinions, that device will help you BIG TIME, if your interested in MPG. I used it for years and it extremely well served it's purpose. You compare it's indication with your speedometer, it's that simple. If the indicator says more, then you have a head wind, and if it says less, then you have a tail wind.

You don't need a Peterbilt truck, nor do you need all that heavy duty stuff.

Years ago, 31 footers were well towed with a properly equipped car.

A heavy duty truck is a waste of money and MPG.

The other big factor with MPG, is be patient. When you get there, you get there..

If your in a hurry, then get a helicopter, otherwise, use a speed depending on the winds and you will very quickly see the HUGE advantage of using an airspeed indicator.

Welcome to Airstreaming and all it's mysteries and opinions.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Morton , Illinois
Wow! I never expected such a quick response. This is a great forum made up of really nice and informative folks. I wish to thank everyone for the helpful spot on information.

Where do I go from here? Guess I try to answer some of the questions. Boy this is fun.
My reason for giving up the 97 Ford diesel is the age and condition. It has a 4.10 rear end and a full Banks Conversion Package that I installed 13 years ago. After the conversion it got 9 mpg @ 70 mph and 13 mpg at 55 mph. I was pulling a 14,000 lb. 5th wheel with a very large flat front. I am concerned about the trucks reliability. At 72 I’m not as flexible as I used to be thus, I don’t wish to risk breakdowns in the middle of nowhere. Also the noise of the old diesel is significant when you have lost some of your hearing. Then there is the problem of driving on the narrow roads of Yellowstone in that wide dually. So we are ready to move on.

The New 25’ FC Airstream is still on order. We expect delivery in late June. My Airstream literature does list the GVWR at 7300 lbs.

Castaway was really on the mark with the exact TV that we are favoring. That info was really helpful. Next order of business is crunching the numbers to make sure we won’t be overloading the truck. I want to add a topper and an in-bed fuel tank. This may already exceed the truck capacity and force me to a ¾ ton.

Thanks all, Hobo
Hoboplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Hobo, best of luck in your quest. I'm sure you will be happy.

For me, at age 70 I'm sticking with my 1996 F250 diesel. It's giving me mileage in the mid-teens towing and has been absolutely reliable for the past 18 years. I'm sticking with it.

Happy travels.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:

An old rule of thumb is that a 7-8k TT is where one might switch over from a car/minivan to a 1T truck if carrying a lot of stuff is part of camping. The penalties are that a truck is a lesser vehicle for towing due to decreased safety and increased operational costs. In short, fewer miles, more slowly travelled.

Questions about operational economy are always good. Fuel costs towing and solo are relevant (use cpm [cents-per-mile] to mark the difference). Any real savings are in vehicle specification, at the very beginning. This TT type is best for low fuel burn. A turbodiesel TV is best for same . . the penalty is the purchase price. It works long-term, not short term (10+ years, not 5). "Real" savings would be purchase of both TV & TT a few years old to offset depreciation and not affect longevity.

How well one uses the TV in solo duties is the question to answer. The best TV will still be the one that suits solo duties (needs, not wants) and that can still tow the TT. A vacationer uses the TV differently than a full-timer, but both put on more miles solo than towing. A pickup with no IRS-deductible miles is not a good match despite what RV'ers tend to think these days . . they decidedly didn't a generation and more ago. Those good reasons haven't changed.

Fuel costs can be offset by better solo use. Combining trips and doing a better job of driving. IOW, reduce annual miles and drive the remaining miles for best economy. It is possible to underwrite significant vacation miles this way.

As to looking at EPA MPG ratings, start by using the combined or average number. 30-40% penalty for towing versus solo, for highway, otherwise. Assume a 60-mph travel speed. This hasn't changed in over forty years despite tech changes (as aero and the quality of the lash-up are what matter most).

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I have a 2012 1/2 ton extended cab ,with a 5.3L engine full tow package ,6 speed transmission,3.42 locking diff,4x4, 6.5 foot box,we're towing a 2012 19 foot flying cloud 4500gvw, we get 19 miles per Canadian gallon going 50 -55 mph, using 10 % ethanol fuel !this lowers fuel economy by aprox 3%, as others have said slow down and fuel economy goes way up! what's the rush!enjoy your drive !half the fun is getting there! My truck gets 30 miles per gallon (Canadian )with no trailer, also the engine in my truck will go into 4 cylinders mode even while towing if I put trans in tow / haul mode. Best fuel economy for this truck is 45 -50 mph .

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Full timed for 10 years and pulled a 34' AS with a Ford F-350 7.3 Powerstroke diesel crew cab dually with 4:10 rear end. Truck bed was my garage and basement. Fully loaded weighed in at 19,000 yet met all load restrictions. Averaged 12.5 mpg over the ten years. If that was a gas job would get about 8 mpg. Hooked up we were 58 feet long and had no problem maneuvering in Yellowstone.

The question is not about pulling power or miles per gallon, it's about stopping power. The one-ton has bigger brake shoes and pads than a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. If MPG is your major concern than go light weight but make sure it can stop the load you are hauling. We've all seen the big fifths being pulled by a 1/2 ton knowing that stopping ability is limited. That's scary.

If you are doing a lot of traveling, go diesel. Better mileage, less maintenance.

Good Luck.
oldfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Tow Vehicle vs. MPG

08 Silverado,
5.3 L
3.73 axle
4X4 "heavy half ton"
31' Sovereign, 6,500 lbs

Fuel mileage is 9 to 11 depending on how I drive. 60 or under I get 11.

The truck will pull hills like Texas Canyon and Ranger Hill at 70 plus MPH, which means it runs roughshod over 98% of big trucks.

Climbing an 8% grade south of Globe AZ we dropped to 35 MPH, but would accelerate if I kicked it down to first gear, but I didn't do this except for a very brief test. I imagine I could have pulled this at 45 if I would have been in a big hurry.

I have no issue with tongue weight, and don't run an equalizer.

The rig stops very well with functioning trailer brakes.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The old 7.3 was a good reliable engine, the later offerings from Ford and Chevrolet,,, not so much IMO.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We are traveling through Calif right now, a variety of temperatures, winds, and altitudes. We tow the same trailer as you, fully optioned, returning home after a 6 month trip with extra weight of purchases of purchases. Our truck is a 2012 Ram Express 1500 Hemi 5.7 Reg cab 120" wheelbase. The hitch is a 1400# ProPride.

We average about 12 mpg towing, more or less with wind, speed and hills and 20-21 not towing using regular gasoline (less expensive than diesel).

Yesterday we stopped at a scale to get our fully loaded travel weight (with souvenirs) hooked to the tow vehicle. Steer axle 2960, drive axle 3380, trailer axles 6520, gross weight 12860. All within limits. Weight distribution set so trailer and truck level.

The trailer, truck, and hitch combination handle beautifully in wind, heavy semi traffic. No driver stress whatsoever. I use tow/haul mode and transmission in 4th gear giving 2100 rpm at 55 mph so there is no downshifting on normal grade changes and wind conditions. I shift down as need to climb or descend steep grades without using brakes.

Steep climbs at 90 degree temps yesterday gave 227 degree F oil temp peak, 223 water temp, and 178 transmission temp.

It's a nice, economical to purchase and operate combination, not sure what more we could ask. Don't underestimate the comfort of towing with a Hensley/ProPride style hitch, that's a big deal here that makes this work so well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:

Next order of business is crunching the numbers to make sure we won’t be overloading the truck. I want to add a topper and an in-bed fuel tank. This may already exceed the truck capacity and force me to a ¾ ton.

Thanks all, Hobo

I'm under the impression that in-bed fuel tanks are for diesel only.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Oh, should mention the Ram has all disc brakes, the trailer stock drum brakes (discs can be added but not needed unless traveling long, steep grades routinely and fast), and it stops the medium sized trailer and relatively light weight truck with ease.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote