Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 07:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Tow Vehicle specs- saw this on FB today..

I copied the following post from FB Airstream 28' thread this morning. I am trying to get more information on which state. The post looked like a new owner and it showed a 1/2T F150 SuperCrew, with rear bed topper, hooked up to a 28' AS. OP was commenting how nice his rig looked now that he had installed a new Anderson WDH; problem is, it sure looked overloaded, so "I" of course, had to put in my comment saying so...the next comment was interesting about seeing another ASer getting a ticket for being overloaded..what would one do...

"I agree with payload overload on any 1/2 Ton with an airstream 25' and above. Two years ago while towing ours, with our then F250 we saw a local LEO had pulled over another Airstream. The local was going from the trailer road side sticker to the door jamb sticker as the drivers door was open and the local was taking pictures. We actually camped in the same campground as the other couple and sure enough they got a ticket based on the stickers. Never heard of it before, and in 40 years never experienced it. Now we pull our 28' with an F350 Diesel."
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
berlin , Maryland
Would not surprise me to see more RV's being checked. With so many new folks getting into big rigs with little to no exp towing, many are way over weight. 50 years ago I was one of those people so I know what I talking about.
Capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
That’s a little surprising. In the absence of any other reason for the stop, The TV must have so obviously overloaded, with headlights reward the sky, for the cop to have noticed to the point of pulling them over.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Are you saying a police officer gave an f150 pulling a 27ft AS a ticket for being overloaded? I want the details of this.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Very interesting. I'm in favor of safety and trying to ensure that people are towing safely, but also concerned about over regulation. I'd hate to get to the point where people towing RVs have to stop at weigh stations like the big commercial rigs. I'd rather see changes in how and where information is published so that buyers can make better decisions.

I think that many people simply hook their trailer to their truck and never give equipment, weight, and balance a thought. My brother is one of those people. When I have discussions with him about this stuff, he always tells me that he will never weigh his rig because he's afraid of the numbers that he might see.

For those of us who want to understand our numbers and limits, it's very difficult to locate and assemble all the necessary information.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Tow Vehicle specs- saw this on FB today..

I would contest the ticket. The officer had no way to determine the weight of the trailer and could only compare the max gross weight rating to the tow rating on the pick-up (which is not on the data plate).

Simply ask the officer in front of the judge: “what did my trailer weigh when you issued the ticket.”

Case dismissed.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:49 AM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Locally we have the provincial Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement team, who sets up on major highways at times. Their primary focus is commercial carriers, but they will inspect a private recreational vehicle if it appears obviously overloaded (the visual check provides grounds for checking). They use portable scales, and can ticket for exceeding gross axle weight rating. Their usual focus includes half tons towing large fifth wheel trailers, but bumper pull trailers are included in their spot checks.

I would be surprised if they were operating at the moment (stay at home orders) but they will be back.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Interesting.
We’ve all seen rigs in the road that are obviously unsafe, it’s nice to know that law enforcement does have the ability to ticket those.

I’m with others who hope that going on a family camping trip does not become a regulation nightmare.

I once spoke to a police officer friend of a friend and asked him about stopping trailers.
His response was that you’d have to be doing something else like speeding for him to pull you over and he normally wouldn’t bother looking for problems in your tow setup unless it was quite obvious like no lights or no safety chains, but that if you were “difficult” that it was in his power to ticket you or worse and that some officers certainly would.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Locally we have the provincial Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement team, who sets up on major highways at times. Their primary focus is commercial carriers, but they will inspect a private recreational vehicle if it appears obviously overloaded (the visual check provides grounds for checking). They use portable scales, and can ticket for exceeding gross axle weight rating. Their usual focus includes half tons towing large fifth wheel trailers, but bumper pull trailers are included in their spot checks.

I would be surprised if they were operating at the moment (stay at home orders) but they will be back.

What is very interesting. I have never heard of such a thing in the US but this is good to know.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
"My cousin's next door neighbor's golf buddy told him you could make a fortune selling Amway..."

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

42° 2' 27" N / 74° 7' 6" W , US
Maybe the person got a ticket for an obvious problem that’s more easily determined, for instance improper loading based upon a visual or no brake controller and ticket was issued as a generic term. For instance one can receive a summons for ‘texting’ while the offender may have been reading a text. Most likely more to the story.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
The local was going from the trailer road side sticker to the door jamb sticker as the drivers door was open and the local was taking pictures. We actually camped in the same campground as the other couple and sure enough they got a ticket based on the stickers. Never heard of it before, and in 40 years never experienced it. Now we pull our 28' with an F350 Diesel."
I'm skeptical.
But I'm glad the cops have nothing better to do than pretend to guess the weight of a trailer. Meanwhile they sped past all the rock haulers with no tread and smoking so bad they could be on fire?
Sometimes I think folks want to make a point in their argument by adding a story about police pulling over a driver for ??? "Yep, I saw it myself, the cops had this guy in cuffs because his Labrador Retriever had his head out the window."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
So I tow a 2019 GT with my 2016 F-150 3.5 Eco. I have been up and down pleanty of mountains with no problems. Combined cargo pass etc 1957 per door sticker. GVWR of 7050.

I have no plans on changing anything. Tows fine up and down the highest hills with no problems.

I a sure as heck am not going to spend another 20 grand to go to a larger vehicle when 90% of the time it is used to get groceries etc.
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Saint Helena Island , South Carolina
After reading a lot of towing threads I do get a kick out of the need for a F350. Obviously these people bring a lot of stuff.
rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Zephyr , Texas
The main reason for enforcing weight limits on heavy vehicles is because they damage the roadway pavement. The damage goes up geometrically with the weight. Light trucks and trailers do not and cannot cause significant damage to the roadway. The enforcement always includes taking an actual measurement of the weight. So, this story is incomplete or extremely fishy.
Zephyr291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Somewhat off topic but have to share. 30 yrs ago was stopped for speeding through rural Nebraska while on a job for John Deere. The officer looked in the back of the rental station wagon and wanted to know my business. Then he followed me to a weigh station to check total weight of camera cases. He explained I needed a permit to have over 150 lbs of professional equipment in the state. The man at the weigh station looked surprised even though they were obviously friends. So I paid the 60 dollars (cash preferred) and left with the hand written permit. . Hey, there isn’t much happening in rural Nebraska so I must have provided the daily entertainment and dinner for a highway patrolman and an employee at the weigh station.
Now some people would be pissed but I wouldn’t want either of their jobs so for me it’s just a good laugh and a reminder to avoid Nebraska.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
There is a video on YouTube showing a Ford Excursion pass a tractor-trailer with a tail happy TT that gets so far out of shape that the trailer snaps the Ex into a multi roll-over accident.
If I had the chance, I’d buy this Police Officer a cup of coffee thanking him for doing his job ensuring this overloaded TV/TT doesn’t kill his wife and/or kids. I’ll include the safety of myself, my family and your family as part of the thanks.
Spaggs
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
I too am a bit skeptical. Without taking the truck/trailer to a weigh station, there is no way to determine if the TV is overloaded.

While I am not for more regulations, I would not be against RVs having to go through scales. I do not weigh every time I go out. However I do keep a set of weight tickets, fully loaded for camping, in the TV. Just in case someone asks....
Old 05-17-2021, 10:02 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Heart Of , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I would contest the ticket. The officer had no way to determine the weight of the trailer and could only compare the max gross weight rating to the tow rating on the pick-up (which is not on the data plate).

Simply ask the officer in front of the judge: “what did my trailer weigh when you issued the ticket.”

Case dismissed.

Indeed.. If the officer didn't use official DOT scales he had no idea what the weight had been. However, the officer is in the right to inspect any vehicle that appears not functioning with in normal operations. Sagging rear bumper, head light point in wrong direct. And if the officer was to stop any vehicle for these reason that officer is now responsible for not only the safety of the vehicle operator and occupants but also for other vehicles nearby. Remember when your stopped by any law enforcement you have brought some type of attention to your self. Be responsible. Read and understand your vehicles limitations. It's not just your fun but all of us enjoying life. Happy trails.

2020 Classic 33 FTB
2019 Ford F250
Blue Ox Hitch
KBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #20
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Food For Thought

Perhaps the scenario described by OP was based on excessive speed for unsafe TV/trailer loading condition? We have all seen and many of us passed on the interstates of America by a clearly overloaded TV/trailer combination. Could this ticket have been issued for the above infraction? I for one would love to see the folks in any RV that approach 80MPH on the interstates to be pulled over and ticketed to get their attention on safety risks at that speed. California has an MPH limit of 55 for TV/trailer combination. Not sure I have read about anyone ticketed for exceeding this speed, but it gives the DPS folks a nice reason to pull you over for any number of violations, such as texting, emailing, watching YouTube videos, etc.

I can imagine some GY Marathons are still on the road and that does not make me feel safe. For educational purposes, I checked the manufacture date on a couple of new trailers tires at the dealer in Macon, GA that does some work on our beloved Gracie. One tire on a new 30’ SOB had a manufacture date of 1314 (13th week of 2014)!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote