Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I find it interesting how people will focus on one vehicle spec such as payload or displacement for example and ignore all the other specifications. Many of the specs on an F250 including breaking ability are worse than the 1500 ED.
Do you mean braking or are you referring to Ford reliability?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Bruce
Old 02-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
I find it interesting how people will focus on one vehicle spec such as payload or displacement for example and ignore all the other specifications. Many of the specs on an F250 including breaking ability are worse than the 1500 ED.

True for Ferds, but going up from the 1500 ED is only good news. Ram 2500 with 6.7 is a beast.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #83
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
True for Ferds, but going up from the 1500 ED is only good news. Ram 2500 with 6.7 is a beast.

2500 Ram & F250 are very similar in performance. 2017 F250 sacrifices some handling for a smoother ride.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
2500 Ram & F250 are very similar in performance. 2017 F250 sacrifices some handling for a smoother ride.

The post I quoted was about F250 specs vs a Ram 1500 ED.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
We can't break a payload because it's only a reference number with little meaning when hitched up with weight distribution for towing and our weights put on actual components are under spec, the very efficient 3.0 liter turbo diesel will take our Airstream anywhere we want to go, and the superior brakes have no issues stopping it and I see no issues using them.

Did I mention how much we like this EcoDiesel for towing our Airstream and daily driving as we move about the country for 6-7 months a year.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
Quote:
It is interesting how many people focus on one number in a vehicle spec such as payload or engine size. and ignore several other specifications.
I'm not sure if you were referring to my post in your comment or not but I focus on every measurement: payload, GVW, axle rating, GCVW, tongue weight. With my Ram 1500, as its equipped, and 27FB it is either over, or right at, capacity on each spec...multiple trips across the scales with various settings on the hitch. In addition, as mentioned previously, service brakes have to be applied on a long descent. I won't get into the Ford vs GMC vs Ram debate as I am brand agnostic anyway. Have owned all three and they are all good trucks.
I spoke to you a couple times Andy, when trying to make this work to my satisfaction. I'm just not comfortable being at or over every single tow rating factor. Some are ok with that, I am not.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:47 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I wouldn't buy a tow vehclie that is critical of how you load the trailer and the truck. Instead of all that planning buy a 2500 dodge, 2500 chev, or a 250 ford. And take pretty much whatever you want.

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:54 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Plymouth , Minnesota
Quote:
Do you mean "braking" ability?

You've clearly never driven a 6.7 PSD with the exhaust brake. Or, any of the other bigger diesels.

It's an all or nothing scenario. If you go over payload, the DOT and insurance companies don't care if you can tow 100,000 lbs.
leje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:58 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Plymouth , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
The deed is done
2017 AS International signature 30 queen

2016 f250 diesel

So Happy

Should have it home from California by Tuesday

Bought it as a pkg deal. Thank you Jan and Howard

Got. Caught in a blizzard in Falgstaff. Came to a dead stop on a monster uphill.no traction
put it put it into 4wd and never looked back.

What a great tv
Wise choice. Well, maybe not the Ford part (I kid). Congratulations!
leje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
In years passed I owned 3 1/2 ton fords, almost every year the rear wheel bearings had to be replaced, they were pressed on the axle, the same as a car, went to 3/4 ton and no more bearing problem as they have floating axles...seen a 1/2 Chevrolet axle taken apart, it had the roller bearing in the end of the housing, axle shaft is the race..I don't know what dodge does, but I like my ram with the floating rear axle, if the axle breaks the wheel isn't coming off...my 2cents worth..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #91
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
It is interesting how many people focus on one number in a vehicle spec such as payload or engine size. and ignore several other specifications.
OR

It is interesting how many people IGNORE one number in a vehicle spec such as payload or engine size. and FOCUS ON several other specifications.

Every number matters and is called a specification, I can't find in any of the literature, by any of the manufactures, where they refer to them as "a reference number with little meaning"

Specification - noun
an act of describing or identifying something precisely or of stating a precise requirement.

Here is a good read on the numbers - reference
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:05 AM   #92
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
In years passed I owned 3 1/2 ton fords, almost every year the rear wheel bearings had to be replaced, they were pressed on the axle, the same as a car, went to 3/4 ton and no more bearing problem as they have floating axles...seen a 1/2 Chevrolet axle taken apart, it had the roller bearing in the end of the housing, axle shaft is the race..I don't know what dodge does, but I like my ram with the floating rear axle, if the axle breaks the wheel isn't coming off...my 2cents worth..
Whoa! Thank you, for the new knowledge.

Reference

For a full-floater system, the axleshaft only serves to transmit the rotational torque from the differential out to the wheel. It does not carry the weight of the vehicle like a semi-floater does.

For those of you who carry heavy loads, this means your axle load capacity is greatly increased with a full-floater.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
OR

It is interesting how many people IGNORE one number in a vehicle spec such as payload or engine size. and FOCUS ON several other specifications.

Every number matters and is called a specification, I can't find in any of the literature, by any of the manufactures, where they refer to them as "a reference number with little meaning"

Specification - noun
an act of describing or identifying something precisely or of stating a precise requirement.
Well said. Some folks around here seem to ignore the numbers that matter (tow rating and GVWR) and go look for attributes they think justifies their choice. People go camping to enjoy themselves. Its no fun when you always have to meticulously watch for every little thing you are packing. Its not fun when your rig is only stable when the weight distribution is fine tuned to the Nth degree. Reserve towing and hauling capacity is a blessing.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
I wouldn't buy a tow vehclie that is critical of how you load the trailer and the truck. Instead of all that planning buy a 2500 dodge, 2500 chev, or a 250 ford. And take pretty much whatever you want.

Earl
Exactly. I bought the Ram 1500 ED before we decided to buy the trailer. Managing payload is a PIA, not to mention the worry about being over engineered specifications.
In a past life I was head of operations for a Cat dealership. To load a crane past its ratings would be unthinkable. If an employee said to me... "but I don't worry about lift ratings when I load the crane as its nice and relaxed lifting and I am pleased with my decision"...?!?!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #95
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by abone View Post
In a past life .....
I recall lots of focus on weights when dealing with heavy equipment. Not so much with tow ratings. ;-)

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
I agree. Ford f250 Supercab powerstroke .Rides great , handles great, no payload issues ( planning on buying a 2 person ATV). mpg from california to chicago 12.2 mpg. 11.2 in the mountain states and13.5 on flats. Never exceeded 1700 rpms the entire trip and spent most of the trip right at 1300 rpm's. Probably will get near 14 mpg in the midwest. after having this truck I wouldn't and couldn't settle for less.
Harry
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Here is some info on braking performance of 1/2 ton vs 1 ton pickups. As an example:

A 2011 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel goes from 60 MPH to 0 in 142 feet
*source: http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....ake-tests.html

A 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 goes from 60 MPH to 0 in 138 feet.
* source: http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....e-braking.html

Braking performance, when doing an emergency stop, is nearly the same. However, 3500 Diesel has exhaust brake which means effortless grade descent, not provided by 1500. Now, I'm not suggesting everyone rush and buy a 1 ton diesel (many people have no need). I'm just pointing out that the doom and gloom opinions about HD trucks do not seem to hold up when you look at numbers/data.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #98
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Now, I'm not suggesting everyone rush and buy a 1 ton diesel (many people have no need). I'm just pointing out that the doom and gloom opinions about HD trucks do not seem to hold up when you look at numbers/data.
Agreed. Similarly, all the doom and gloom opinions about properly equipped and loaded 1/2 ton trucks towing larger Airstream trailers do not seem to hold up, as long as one can manage how many items/how much cargo one wants to take along with oneself.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We converted our 2014 31' Classic to disc brakes shortly after acquiring it. It scales just over 9,200 pounds loaded for camping. The complete rig scales close to 19,000 pounds with us aboard. No axle ratings are exceeded and there is reserve for any "must have" during a trip.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The other oft cited critique of a 3/4 ton vehicle is that due to the stiffness of the suspension somehow all feeling from the trailer is muted.
Forgive me but is simply ridiculous.
Every vehicle feeds the driver information about what the trailer is doing. It is just a matter of familiarity really.
I certainly can feel our little 16' trailer and know what it is happening.
Bruce