Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2022, 10:54 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Tucson , Arizona
Telescoping mirrors

K-source pull-out mirrors from eTrailer will replace your original mirrors and retain all their functions. When not towing they slide in close to the vehicle, slide out for towing. Work great.
nmzouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I've towed tens of thousands of miles across the country with only a rearview camera and have never been stopped by police. I think if you were stopped you could demonstrate that there are no blind spots.

Do you know of anyone who has been stopped, or is this just speculation?

I know that I am safer with the rearview cam and standard side mirrors as there is absolutely no blind spot.
Yes, I was stopped a few years ago in CA for having inadequate tow mirrors, towing a cargo trailer, and have heard of this happening to others. It is easy enough for the highway patrol to check, they simply follow you and if they cannot see your mirrors at X distance depending on state they may pull you over for warning or ticket. you have just been lucky so far (but not unsafe) IMHO.....Also possible if they see a camera on your trailer they don't worry much about it.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Yes, I was stopped a few years ago in CA for having inadequate tow mirrors, towing a cargo trailer, and have heard of this happening to others. It is easy enough for the highway patrol to check, they simply follow you and if they cannot see your mirrors at X distance depending on state they may pull you over for warning or ticket. you have just been lucky so far (but not unsafe) IMHO.....Also possible if they see a camera on your trailer they don't worry much about it.
Anyone had this happen anywhere besides California?
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:44 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
I just put extendable tow mirrors on my GMC Yukon Denali. I like them, but you do lose a lot of functionality relative to high-end mirrors. They have power tilt, heated, and LED blinker. But no power fold (that was $600 extra), no autodimming, and no blind spot radar.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Apparently in AZ the 8.5 ft wide Airstreams can get you ticketed even with factory tow mirrors. BTW I got curious and did a search so apparently not that unusual to get a ticket for inadequate mirrors...old post, just an example.

https://www.thedieselstop.com/thread...irrors.203678/
Old 04-12-2022, 08:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I don't doubt the cops in California have nothing better to do than pull over trailers. Let me tell you a California "law" story.
The first year my employer sent some semi-trailers into California, they were stopped at the border. It seems if the tractor is carrying anything other than a fire extinguisher, it's considered a 'truck' and it's illegal for a truck to tow another trailer. Ours had drum boxes with gear. So our drivers had to rent tractors to tow our trailers and our tractors drove 'bob-tail'. Double the pollution and congestion.
Nothing surprises me about California.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I don't doubt the cops in California have nothing better to do than pull over trailers. Let me tell you a California "law" story.
T................................................. .....................................
Nothing surprises me about California.
To double down on that, years ago my brother got a ticket (not just a warning) in CA when he was driving his truck with a load of hay and his right hand mirror was not adjusted properly (admittedly it was way off).

I guess I would say that rather than argue about the flaws in the law or how lame it is to pull someone over for a mirror violation, (which apparently is universally the 200' rule), just comply and not worry about it. If you are OK with being confident you won't get pulled over then good for you, but that does not change the requirement. Just my 2 cents as a factor in how you choose the tow mirrors.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:04 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Apparently in AZ the 8.5 ft wide Airstreams can get you ticketed even with factory tow mirrors. BTW I got curious and did a search so apparently not that unusual to get a ticket for inadequate mirrors...old post, just an example.

https://www.thedieselstop.com/thread...irrors.203678/
I have a voyager rear camera and I’d fight that ticket all day long. Just like the law requiring a flagger behind any vehicle backing up, it needs to change.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
How do they write a ticket that would hold up in court?

The officer would have to measure 200’ with a certified measuring device and then somehow confirm wether the driver can see to that position from the drivers seat.

I remember a story about a person driving a Hotrod who got stopped for mirrors too small. The officer wrote the ticket for the driver not being able to see 200’ behind the vehicle. In court the driver told the judge that he could see the sun in his mirror and that he was confident that the sun was more than 200’ away from where his car was stopped. The driver was successful.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
When we bought our 2018 23’ FC, I got a set of Milenco Mirrors for my Ram 1500. I found that my rear visibility without them was fine. The standard mirrors on my truck seem to work pretty well for 8’ trailers, at least for me.
I’m about 800 miles into our Summer trip, and I’m going to revise my opinion.

A few days ago, I put one of the Milenco mirrors on the driver’s side, clamped to the Ram rear window surround. I did the left, as the view on the right is ok and the Ram has a wide angle disk in that mirror anyway for blind spot clearance. Plus DW is riding co-pilot for additional situational awareness.

I’ve now had a good chance to compare both OEM and Milenco mirrors on the road in a variety of situations.

Visibility with the Milenco mirror is now all the way down the trailer, easily 200’-300’, way down the road. In comparison to the standard truck mirror, I’m seeing quite a lot more of the traffic, and notice approaching cars and trucks MUCH earlier and farther away than with the truck mirrors.

Lesson learned, as they say. I’m a believer now.

For reference the ones I bought are the Milenco “MIL-2912 Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirror“, off Amazon for around $115 a pair.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarris View Post
I've been towing with a diesel truck for years, but with the current diesel prices, I think I'll begin using my 4Runner. It is capable but its rear view mirrors are inadequate. What are the best add-on mirrors?

I put snap on mirrors on my F150. One piece plastic, looks factory. Amazon sells them. ( FIT )
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
A trooper pulled up next to me in CA last week and spouted 55mph over his speaker/megaphone. It took us few minutes to figure out what he was saying.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
A trooper pulled up next to me in CA last week and spouted 55mph over his speaker/megaphone. It took us few minutes to figure out what he was saying.

CA has a bunch of law that needs ignored.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
CA has a bunch of law that needs ignored.
The speed limit in California when towing is 55 mph, so if you were going over that, you could have received a ticket instead of just being yelled at.

The CA 55 mph law when towing is a bit silly these days, but it is long standing and other states, too, like to have us obey their speed limits.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:07 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
To be honest, when I’m towing our Airstream up the mountains in California, it’s a good bet I’m not ABLE to get up to 55. Frankly, California has a lot of laws, but it’s no real issue to obey speed limits anywhere. We’re semi-retired and in no real hurry to burn yet more expensive gasoline…
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 01:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Hi, Can you tell me what brand your mirrors are? And are you still happy with them? Thanks!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 01:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Are you still happy with your K Source mirrors? Thanks!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:57 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
I’m very happy with our K Source. They are the best add on mirrors we’ve ever had. Still more vibration than our factory mirrors, but much better than anything else we’ve tried. We just leave them on all the time.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 12:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
How do they write a ticket that would hold up in court?

The officer would have to measure 200’ with a certified measuring device and then somehow confirm wether the driver can see to that position from the drivers seat.
They count on people to just pay a fine and go away. I don't doubt they target out of state vehicles for just that reason.

Quote:
Then did he resume driving 90mph?
Sure glad California has no crime problem so the police can concentrate on high ticket RV's
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 12:16 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The California 55 MPH speed limit for vehicles that are towing is usually well enforced, but also more often in the breach than the observance by the drivers.

I’m not usually in a rush, drive 55 (per GPS) and watch all the big rigs and SOB towing vehicles just blow by me…such is life in Lotus Land…
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote