Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Menlo Park , California
Tow service reommendation OH to CA

Hello forum,

does anyone have a tow service recommendation getting my Airstream towed/transported from OH to CA?
Any good experiences maybe with certain companies/portals?

Cheers,
Chris
chrispe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why not tow it yourself?..what is it..? How old are the tires, wheel bearings...?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Menlo Park , California
With two small children simply not really feasible right now...

Its a new Globetrotter 27
Old 06-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Need more info. How old are the children? Any special needs?
What time constraints? A fun two week adventure or a four day marathon?
Got a spare brother/sister who could help drive?

I would personally avoid putting young children (or myself) on a crowded airplane right now.

If all else fails, Call the factory, they use haulers all the time.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
I have used Trusted tow service twice, once to take my 30’ Serenity to Jackson for extensive hail repair, then the second time to return it to me in New Mexico . This is also the same company Airstream uses to ship new Airstreams to the dealers around the country. Contact me or the factory for their info if interested. I live 1500 miles from Jackson Center.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Chris - call Fairfield, AA. They have a guy that transports their Airstreams. He brought ours down from Bosie when we purchased. If he can't, I'll bet he knows who can. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Menlo Park , California
Thank you everyone, those recommendations are truly appreciated
Currently it unfortunately looks like our Airstream will be slightly delayed, but will still need the transportation mid/end of August...
Old 07-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Trusted Brokers are who Airstream uses. No. 937-779-1679
They looked after hauling mine from Seattle to Ohio on a flat bed.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
I know you are not asking about this, but... I drove from CA to Indiana to pick up my Jayco trailer from factory. Solo driving, 2,200 miles each way. Two days going there, 2.5 days on the way back. It was fun for me, as I wanted to see a bit of the country (and wanted to test towing performance of my inadequate TV - based on internet opinions, I was expecting the worst). At that time my wife stayed at home with six months and 2.5 years young kids, but she had a support from in-laws.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #10

1982 31' Airstream 310
Napa , California
Any Luck?

Did you have any luck finding a way to ship it?

I cannot travel to Canada because of COVID restrictions and I am trying to get an airstream motorhome shipped from the Toronto area to our place in Napa. I got in touch with Trusted and they let me know they do not provide this type of transport. I have listed the shipping need twice on Uship, also with no luck. Only had one bid, which was really high. I was going to try US CANADA Auto Transport (which is also AA Auto Transport) and they have terrible reviews on Google and Yelp.

I will be following this in hope to find a shipping solution. Please let us know if you find someone.
Droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Menlo Park , California
Hey Droope,

I am out of luck so far too.
The only quote I got was from Showroom Transport and that was 3900,- USD from Ohio to California, which I find extremely expensive, but maybe I am also wrong about that...

I am very surprised about your experience with uShip, as this would have been the place now where I also had high expectations to find someone, but didn't list it yet, as I still don't have an exact date.

We had good experience with unitedvanlines.com on a regular international move and I know they also do cars. Maybe worth a try...

I keep my fingers crossed for you!
Chris
Old 07-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #12

1982 31' Airstream 310
Napa , California
Thank you Chris! Hoping for the best. And that $3900 is much better than the $6100 I was quoted from the Toronto area to Napa. I may need to give Showroom a call and ask if they ship without using their other services.
Droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispe View Post
Hey Droope,

I am out of luck so far too.
The only quote I got was from Showroom Transport and that was 3900,- USD from Ohio to California, which I find extremely expensive, but maybe I am also wrong about that...
Does seem high. I paid $2000 for a flat bed transport from Seattle to Ohio this winter.

Would suggest the OP check with CanAm in Ontario as to what trucking companies they may know off. You may have better luck getting it to final destination if you could at least get it out of Canada To Ohio with Trusted if they were doing a delivering to CanAm.

I have the opposite problem. Trying to get my trailer out of Ohio and back to Canada. Airstream passed on an exchange they had with Trusted on the topic. The issue was it needs a custom broker to clear it and theirs only doers commercial transits not personal property. It was clear in the exchange they shared with me there was some confusion as to what was needed. Suggested I may have to go through the Canadian RIV program again. Which is not correct as it is already Canada Registered and plated. Have talked with a couple of customers brokers one in BC and another in Ontario and they can do the actual paper work needed for between C$250 and C$500. The weather is nice in my location so not overly desperate to have it moved as yet so have not seriously pursued a trucker.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote