Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Salinas , California
Tow mirrors on a Titan

Hello all,
I hope this message finds you all in good health and high spirits.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a new Nissan Titan Platinum Reserve, and we’re down to one last sticking point. I requested tow mirrors and they are apparently hard to come by. My current TV is a Frontier, and I am obliged to strap on tow mirrors when we take to the road. I really don’t want to have to do that with the new truck, so I’m wondering: For those of my brethren who are towing with full size trucks, are you using tow mirrors, or do you find they are not necessary?

Hardy regards,
Bob
Trumpetier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I used a set of CIPA clip on tow mirrors for a couple years. They were okay and not expensive. But they need adjustment too much and you have to store them.
I replaced my (Tundra) mirrors with a set of permanent tow mirrors. I love them.
However the aftermarket suppliers haven't caught up to the new Titan, which got a facelift in 2017? It's possible the mirrors from 2015 will be plug and play with a 2021 but it will take some digging.

To answer your question, I've towed without tow mirrors, with clip on's, and with the new extendable mirrors (Trail Ridge) and I love the Trail Ridge.
If you have a rear facing camera and OEM mirrors you might make it work.

You won't regret switching to real tow mirrors (except a bank drive thrus)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
I thought the Titans came with some pretty decent tow mirrors?
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Titan tow mirrors

Better check the window sticker to see if it has the factory tow package. It will be listed separately on the options list. All of the Titans come with a receiver but that does not mean is has the tow package. If it has the tow package it will have the mirrors. Just because it is the "Platinum" does not mean it automatically has the tow package.

Make sure of what your buying. Also make sure you check the yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb and see what the 'Cargo not to exceed" figure is. You may be surprised how low it is due to the high trim level. I looked at the Titan trucks couple years ago and the Cargo/Payload capacity was lacking. The XD model, not being sold now, was better but not enough for my comfort level.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Get a rear view camera. No blind spots. Period.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
I have a Titan XD Platinum reserve and it has tow mirrors, they just slide out and work just fine.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Salinas , California
Thanks all for your great suggestions. I do have a rear view cam that I use and like very much, so having a pair of big ears sticking out may not be such a big thing.

Happy and safe travels to all!

Bob
Trumpetier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I too have an XD with the large mirrors. I have seen a few regular Titans with the extendable larger mirrors so I would expect that some dealer might be able to upgrade them. Good luck... I prefer having both backup camera and mirrors.
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I have a 2018 Titan with the Tow Pkg option. I find the OEM tow mirrors indispensable although not the best design. They do not extend quite far enough to view down the side of my AS25 when travelling straight, but far better than a standard mirror. The previous point about your new truck having the Tow Package option is extremely important as it is unlikely you will get the electric brake control inside the cab if you do not have the tow option. This is crucial as aftermarket for that is expensive and a bit of a pain to set up. The factory brake controller works flawlessly for me. Good luck.
Randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
CIPA for me as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I used a set of CIPA clip on tow mirrors for a couple years. They were okay and not expensive. But they need adjustment too much and you have to store them.
I replaced my (Tundra) mirrors with a set of permanent tow mirrors. I love them.
However the aftermarket suppliers haven't caught up to the new Titan, which got a facelift in 2017? It's possible the mirrors from 2015 will be plug and play with a 2021 but it will take some digging.

To answer your question, I've towed without tow mirrors, with clip on's, and with the new extendable mirrors (Trail Ridge) and I love the Trail Ridge.
If you have a rear facing camera and OEM mirrors you might make it work.

You won't regret switching to real tow mirrors (except a bank drive thrus)
I asked the same question a year ago and "Mollysdad" pointed me in the right direction then as well.
Great mirrors.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Data point for you: 18 years ago when I bought my Titan, tow mirrors were $850 through the dealer, and there was a considerable wait for them. I contacted my favorite aftermarket store in the area and I was able to get the same thing - installed - for about $650.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote