Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Totally Foncused

Trying to figure out answer to a simple question.

Can I carry my 900 lb Harley Davidson in the bed of my 2002 7.3L Ford F-250 extended cab 2 wd while towing my 7300 lb 2008 International CCD? I have airbag system for leveling and Equalizer anti sway bars. I'd haul an additional 250 lbs in the bed and another 200 in the trailer (or vice versa). More if I can.

Please, no formulas or GVWR RSVP ABCDEFG stuff- it's all just too darn confusing to figure out without an instructor. I was a USAF Loadmaster 30 years ago and balancing a C-141-B wasn't as confusing as all this crap! lol

Someone out there has got to have a similar setup, or carrying a similar payload.

Any help would be appreciated!
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Without a doubt, yes you can......however, how you're planning on balancing a 900lb bike halfway up the ramps is beyond me. I wouldn't even consider riding it up the ramps, but maybe you have a better way. It may not look too high, but also 900lbs moves around just fine until rubber side is longer down.

I personally would either buy a tilt and load flatbed truck for the bike with a hitch for the trailer OR somehow engineer a winch crane that would be able to sling the bike onto the back of the truck.

Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Andy the no math or reading the placards method is easy. Load the bike with all the ramps and stuff stored, hook up the trailer and if the front wheels are on the ground and the headlights don't point to mars drive on in blissful happiness...

I loaded C5a's until the front nose gear struts were fully extended and called it good. That was the last and only time they let me load a C5.

And if the Harley is in the bed of a 25ft CCD that would be a site to see. Where does everyone else sleep(sorry couldn't resist).
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Without a doubt, yes you can......however, how you're planning on balancing a 900lb bike halfway up the ramps is beyond me. I wouldn't even consider riding it up the ramps, but maybe you have a better way. It may not look too high, but also 900lbs moves around just fine until rubber side is longer down.

I personally would either buy a tilt and load flatbed truck for the bike with a hitch for the trailer OR somehow engineer a winch crane that would be able to sling the bike onto the back of the truck.

Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Cheers
Tony
Haha! Well, I have a 10 foot ramp aluminum that's 4 feet wide and breaks down into 6 sections. Weighs about another 70 pounds that I'll have to account for. It's a pretty gentle slope,! ot too bad. Coming down is trickier than going up though.
Ext Cab Longbed
Old 02-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
1. Find out what your payload is. There will be a sticker on the drivers side door.
2. Add up all the weight you wish to carry, the bike, gear, yourself, gas, the tongue weight of the Airstream.

If the sum of the weight is smaller than the number on the sticker, you're good to go.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
GVW of my F250 was 9000 pounds.
It weighed 6500 pounds.
That left 2500 pounds for payload.
900 pounds for the bike.
800 pounds for the tongue of the trailer.
400 pounds for passengers.
Eat a light lunch, and make sure the truck sits only slightly tail-down (rear springs for some reason droop a bit on these trucks).
Enjoy your trip.
BTW, getting the bike in and out of the bed is on you. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Saw a nice rig in West Yellowstone.there was a ramp with a front wheel cradleat ground level. He pulled his bike into the cradle and strapped it in. Hit the winch and it pulled up the track and into the truck. It apparently comes out the same way. It was sportster and he was pulling a 30 foot bumper pull.he had added small air bags but also had a 50 gal sux fuel tank.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post
Saw a nice rig in West Yellowstone.there was a ramp with a front wheel cradleat ground level. He pulled his bike into the cradle and strapped it in. Hit the winch and it pulled up the track and into the truck. It apparently comes out the same way. It was sportster and he was pulling a 30 foot bumper pull.he had added small air bags but also had a 50 gal sux fuel tank.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 02-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

I have a '96 F250 7.3 diesel with a gross vehicle weight rating of about 8800 pounds. My truck came with the factory camping package which includes F350 suspension features, and I added Firestone RideRite air bags in the rear for good measure. I have a 91 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the bed and a campertop over the back. With full fuel tanks and loaded for camping including my trailer's tongue weight, I've been running at the weight rating limit without any problems regarding the truck or anything else related to towing. I bet you can do it too.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I've seen it many times.

At Urban Air this year, a couple had two harleys in the bed pulling the airstream.

"Living the dream...."!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
So I look at that sticker inside the door and its worn too much to read. I call FoMoCo and after giving them the VIN I ask them for the weight digits.

FoMoCo Girl tells me truck weighs 8800 lbs wet with 2 adults inside. She said the max I can tow is 12,000 pounds. Then she says the max my truck can weigh is 20,000 lbs. it didn't add up, she's telling me I can load 11200 lbs ON the truck. Uhhh I don't think so.
Ext Cab Longbed
Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Google to the rescue: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...2/fsersdcd.pdf

Your payload appears to be just under 3000lbs. Healthy!
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:50 AM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamGlider View Post
So I look at that sticker inside the door and its worn too much to read. I call FoMoCo and after giving them the VIN I ask them for the weight digits.

FoMoCo Girl tells me truck weighs 8800 lbs wet with 2 adults inside. She said the max I can tow is 12,000 pounds. Then she says the max my truck can weigh is 20,000 lbs. it didn't add up, she's telling me I can load 11200 lbs ON the truck. Uhhh I don't think so.
But officer the nice lady at Fomoco told me I could put 15 Harleys and a ramp in the back.

I'm very glad you have used what the dear Lord and your Papa gave you...common sense; which I might add in the current political arena, is in short supply.

Cheers
Tony