Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
I have a RAM 3500 mega cab with an ARE MX topper (4-5” extra height) with windoors, the Decked drawer system, and a Bedslide 1500. If you go this route, spring for a 100% extension slide. That is the only change I would make. Some caveats: the resulting height of the slide is higher than you might think so loading heavy items can be a challenge e.g. a 50 lb “portable” grill. Also, with the bed slide you lose charge space on the sides. Another loss of space is that the rear part of the topper, where the window is placed, is angled so you can’t utilize the full height of the topper on the lateral edges. Just be aware of the packing height of your cargo and the effective loading dimensions created by the angles of the topper etc.
psy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by psy1 View Post
I have a RAM 3500 mega cab with an ARE MX topper (4-5” extra height) with windoors, the Decked drawer system, and a Bedslide 1500. If you go this route, spring for a 100% extension slide. That is the only change I would make. Some caveats: the resulting height of the slide is higher than you might think so loading heavy items can be a challenge e.g. a 50 lb “portable” grill. Also, with the bed slide you lose charge space on the sides. Another loss of space is that the rear part of the topper, where the window is placed, is angled so you can’t utilize the full height of the topper on the lateral edges. Just be aware of the packing height of your cargo and the effective loading dimensions created by the angles of the topper etc.

When I ordered mine they never mentioned the 100% slide out, that would be nice to have.

Probably my only complaint is that neither the drawers or the slide pull out 100%.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Adding all this up on a spread sheet is fine. Done that many a time. It's very useful to work out the tradeoffs between this and that.

The "next step" really does need to be a stop at the CAT scale on the fully loaded rig. Real people in their seats. Dogs in their positions. All the "real" food / fuel / beverages onboard.

Compare all axles (and the rest) to the door post numbers. Things tend to creep into the truck and trailer in the dead of the night Don't ask how I know this .... The result made the Ford dealer *very* happy though ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
would most definitely agree with this assessment. Since we can't store our Airstream at home and it's exceedingly difficult to get everyone together we've started the routine of loading the Airstream in the storage facility, then loading the truck, then loading people and their travel things. Trip to Love's Truck stop to fuel up and use cat scale on loaded truck, then straight to the storage yard to hookup, then back to Loves for reweigh with everything and to check numbers, then hit the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Adding all this up on a spread sheet is fine. Done that many a time. It's very useful to work out the tradeoffs between this and that.

The "next step" really does need to be a stop at the CAT scale on the fully loaded rig. Real people in their seats. Dogs in their positions. All the "real" food / fuel / beverages onboard.

Compare all axles (and the rest) to the door post numbers. Things tend to creep into the truck and trailer in the dead of the night Don't ask how I know this .... The result made the Ford dealer *very* happy though ....

Bob
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
We needed to watch payload and still be able to use the truck bed for hauling whatever when not camping so went with a Softopper. It easily folds forward to the cab or is easily removed. Our e-bikes (20 inch wheels) are inside, out of the weather, secured with a cable and lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E30EC825-08AD-45C6-8A59-F22008761848.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	397473  
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimms View Post
We needed to watch payload and still be able to use the truck bed for hauling whatever when not camping so went with a Softopper. It easily folds forward to the cab or is easily removed. Our e-bikes (20 inch wheels) are inside, out of the weather, secured with a cable and lock.
Likewise

Name:	20210511_134001.jpg
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	397474

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:08 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Taylor Lake Village , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
What exactly do you plan to put in there? I assume, given the golf cart experiment, you have plenty of payload. So volume is limiting?
I have the tall ARE with a 4X8 sheet of plywood cut to 50 some “ and installed sideways atop the extra length cut in half . Minimal weight for the space, and just enough room for our trikes, or for our regular bikes with the front wheels off, on top the plattorm, plus a bunch of other STUFF.
It’s not fancy, and I need to plan what goes in the very front of the bed (harder to access), but it works.
GetawA-S: I'm interested in what your set up looks like...do you have a photo you can share?
KathyinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Toppers and Bed Slides

Just remember if you have a side in the back of the truck you can not access it while the trailer is hooked up. I have a ARE topper with a wooden shelf built to rest on the top of the trucks bed, so I have light things on it and heavy things on the truck’s bed floor.
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1841.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	397587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1843.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	397588  

Name:	IMG_1846.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	397589  
Old 06-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
not all, but some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Just remember if you have a side in the back of the truck you can not access it while the trailer is hooked up. I have a ARE topper with a wooden shelf built to rest on the top of the trucks bed, so I have light things on it and heavy things on the truck’s bed floor.
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]
While we certainly cannot fully extend the bed slide, with the added clearance of the ProPride hitch, we can extend the bed slide far enough to make a difference for the things more frequently accessed. It represents a significant improvement for these old bones.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Cape Coral , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I have a Decked system with Cap. Cap is and ARE with "windoors" - IE the windows on the cap all flip up so I can get at gear in the bed easily. The bed is full side-to-side and raised with full length drawers underneath....

Picture is not my truck but basically same setup. I like that everything inside stays dry, and that I have both drawers and a flat bed for additional storage / loading.

Just a thought...
WULFRAT….
Can you tell me how much weight the upper shelf will support? Do you carry a generator and if so where do you store it.
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:01 PM   #31
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Toppers and Bed Slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Smith;
WULFRAT….

Can you tell me how much weight the upper shelf will support? Do you carry a generator and if so where do you store it.

The deck platform is reinforced with metal and is rated to 2,000lbs. Drawers are rated to 100lbs each. People have installed slides on top of the deck. The total system weighs 220lbs installed.

Yes I can fit my honda generator, spare Engle electric fridge/freezer, cooler, dogs etc back there. I slide the heavy stuff along the side of the bed. The ARE cap has “windoors” that flip up / open on both sides to its easy to get to heavier stuff that way.

Also have a 500w victron inverter, 12v power and an air compressor mounted in the bed for adjusting tires and air suspension…

Rooftop tent goes on top

I used to carry bikes + generator in the bed before I got the cap.. I prefer the cap now. Keeps all your stuff out of the weather and dogs ride in the back now..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2138.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	397610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1968.JPG
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	397611  

Name:	IMG_2436.JPG
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	397612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1318.JPG
Size:	758.7 KB
ID:	397614  

Name:	IMG_1005.JPG
Size:	574.2 KB
ID:	397615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.JPG
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	397616  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:09 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
The deck platform is reinforced with metal and is rated to 2,000lbs. Drawers are rated to 100lbs each. People have installed slides on top of the deck. The total system weighs 220lbs installed.

Yes I can fit my honda generator, spare Engle electric fridge/freezer, cooler, dogs etc back there. I slide the heavy stuff along the side of the bed. The ARE cap has “windoors” that flip up / open on both sides to its easy to get to heavier stuff that way.

Also have a 500w victron inverter, 12v power and an air compressor mounted in the bed for adjusting tires and air suspension…

Rooftop tent goes on top

I used to carry bikes + generator in the bed before I got the cap.. I prefer the cap now. Keeps all your stuff out of the weather and dogs ride in the back now..
That's a great setup. What powers the Victron inverter and how are you powering the Viair compressor? The latter comes with alligator clips so I wonder how you connect it to power.
psy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:45 PM   #33
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Toppers and Bed Slides

I ran a 6awg positive wire directly from the dual batteries under the hood to +/- DC bus bars I mounted to the side of the truck bed. Grounded off the negative bus bar to the chassis frame near the rear wheel well. From the bus bars I then ran lines to the inverter and air compressor and an additional 12v socket for other things.

For the compressor I simply cut off the alligator clips and replaced with ring connectors / bolted down to the bus bars.

Everything is hardwired direct to the battery with a 50A fuse. Wires are all hidden under the deck so they stay out of the way. I really like having always on 120v/12v power accessible in the bed it comes in handy. In the winter the dog even gets to have an electric blanket on her bed when camping

I’ve since put plastic sheathing over the exposed wires to protect from things floating around in the bed….
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2139.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	397701  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:25 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
2021 25' Globetrotter
Hillsborough , NC
Bed slide is a great addition to cargo storage capes -- combined with a topper, they allow you to better utilize the back end of a pickup!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200403_125606.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	397797  
TeckTavern is offline   Reply With Quote