Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Tongue weight specs are unrealistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
As a personal example, our new 2013 25FB International Serenity had a literature tongue weight of 833 pounds. The dealership installed a street side and rear awning, a Hensley hitch, a 155 watt solar panel in the middle of the roof and a Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake control on the "A" frame. The dealer filled the propane and fresh water tanks. I had a brief case at the back of the trailer. The tongue weight now was 1,150 pounds with no personal stuff, food and bedding aboard."
I strongly second what Switz said. My 2017 International Serenity 27FB had a listed tongue weight of about 770 pounds. Loaded for travel, and with a ProPride hitch installed, it ended up at close to twice that weight--and I don't travel heavy. My F-150 pickup (with Max Tow package) was porpoising, and no amount of hitch weight distribution could hide the fact that the rear axle was seriously overloaded. I had to trade it in for an F-250.

Bottom line: Airstream's posted tongue weight specs are are wildly optimistic. Get that trailer weighed as soon as you can.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
I strongly second what Switz said. My 2017 International Serenity 27FB had a listed tongue weight of about 770 pounds. Loaded for travel, and with a ProPride hitch installed, it ended up at close to twice that weight--and I don't travel heavy. My F-150 pickup (with Max Tow package) was porpoising, and no amount of hitch weight distribution could hide the fact that the rear axle was seriously overloaded. I had to trade it in for an F-250.

Bottom line: Airstream's posted tongue weight specs are are wildly optimistic. Get that trailer weighed as soon as you can.
The measurements and/or CAT tickets you have will confirm your WD setup was/is correct?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I think scales are more accurate as the actual loads are recorded were a measurement does not provide that very necessary information. The measurements could be correct but one axle (usually the rear on the tow vehicle) could be over loaded.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Washington , Maryland
It's my understanding that a 20# propane tank only refers to the weight of the propane. I believe (have not weighed for myself) a 20# propane tank weighs about 37 pounds when full. The "internet" says a gallon of propane weighs about 3.6 pounds?? And a 20# tank holds 4.5 gallons of propane, plus the weight of the tank.

Sorry I was so long coming back to my own thread. I was tied up for a few days because I sold my T@B 320. I will read back now and catch up. Thanks for continued help!
RobynE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Yes the 20, 30 and 40# tanks refer to the capacity in weight of propane.
The empty or tare weight of my 30# examples are 16lbs for the aluminum and 25.2lbs for the steel. With these numbers you can weight a tank and determine how much propane they might contain by the weight above the TW number.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
You may be able to buy a new hitch with a higher weight rating or have your current hitch reinforced to increase it's capacity. To consider that option you need to know the axle weight ratings. If your axle weight ratings are past max with a loaded vehicle and trailer hooked up then that's not an option.
Contact Andy at CanAm, he may be already know whether this is an option and generally how good a tow vehicle the Jeep would be.
I had someone run all my specs for me in this online tool I found. It considered everything including axle ratings front and rear, and I came out ok, but obviously on the higher side of ok. I had another recommendation for CanAm so I will definitely check into that.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Another thing to remember...the 'built-in sway control" is built into the Jeep not the AS.
The Jeep will not prevent the sway from starting, it is activated when the AS starts swaying.
Anti-sway prevention is always a good place to start.��

Bob
����

VERY good point! You don't want sway to even start! I'm for SURE going to have a good weight distro hitch with sway protection, the more the better!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

lancing , Tennessee
Weight can be moved within reason but as already mentioned, probably a good idea to take a test drive to a set of cat scales to get real world weight of jeep with nothing and jeep with trailer.

Moving the spare tires around is no biggy but not sure airstream rear is made to handle a jeep tire weight.

I had an older wrangler and always kept the back seat out of it, while not a ton of weight it is some weight out of the vehicle.

I have slowly talked myself into a smaller setup cause I am tired of big trucks and big trailers and their heavier tires and parts and mostly more stuff.

Still have not had an airstream but working on getting closer. And in some cases removing or changing some things around is in the plans.

But will be done with the understanding that you don't just put all the weight in the back of the trailer to make the tongue weight ok. But some movement of stuff, not a big whup. If scale and brain and driving agree.
biere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #29

2006 25' International CCD
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynE View Post
Hi, I'm getting ready to purchase a 2017 or a 2018 Sport 16RB model as soon as I can sell my 2015 T@B 320. This will be my first Airstream. I'm going to be almost maxing out the tongue tow capacity of my vehicle. I noticed that 2017 and earlier models have a tongue weight of 350, but the 2018 and 2019 model have increased to 378. Does anyone know what caused the weight increase on the newest models? I believe there are 2 propane tanks, so for sure I'm going to be taking one out to save some tongue weight. Any other ideas on ways to save on tongue weight?

Thanks,
Robyn
Hi, as many here have hinted or suggested the tongue weight is a moving target, simply being conscience of not storing heavier things in front of the axle center helps considerably. I got pretty involved in this and bought a tongue weight scale, simple hyd thing from amazon for $70, and you know exactly where your at. If your getting within 100 to 200 lbs your entering a grey area depending on the tow vehicle and the tires your using on both trailer and truck, that you don’t want to be in.

I agree, don’t get rid of spare or extra propane, your buying a nice product, why cut corners like that?

R
rebelhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
ISSAQUAH , Washington
Does the Blu Ox sway bar / weight distribution reduce the tongue weight - i.e. distributing some of the weight to the front of the tv?
otorvund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #31

2010 16' Sport
Charlottesville , Virginia
I have a 16 ft Bambi sport 2010 model. It is a very light trailer. I at first pulled with a RX350 TV. One mountain trip and that was that. I upgraded my TV. I now have a jeep grand Cherokee that has more than enough tow capacity for the Bambi.
marketgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
2018 27' International
Okemos , Michigan
Jeep towing

Robyn,

I suggest you get in touch with Andy Thompsom at Can-Am Rv and get some good advice. Airstreams are unique in towing and your Jeep is also very unique. The Jeep is not standard height or width. The 4 dr model helps a lot over 2dr for towing stability. Very heavy hitches like the Hensley may be overkill for your combo and add a lot of weight unnecessarily. Good luck.
llhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Problem solved by WD hitch

RobynE,

Your modest excess of tongue weight will be mitigated by your “weight distribution” hitch. The springbars of the hitch, when properly adjusted, will (duh!) re-distribute some of the tongue weight to the front axel of the tow vehicle and to the trailer wheels. No need to ditch spares or tanks.

Please note that you likely want to avoid removing any mass from the front of the trailer. The location of the center-of-mass of the trailer, forward of the trailer axel, is a critical parameter in the sway stability of your rig. Any attempt to move mass aft in the trailer will reduce sway stability. If uncertain about mass (weight) distribution in the trailer, consult with airstream.

In my opinion, you have no problem so long as you use a weight distribution hitch.

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #34
SuperDobe

2018 16' Sport
New bern , North Carolina
2018 Airstream sport 16RB

Hi Robyn,
I have a 2018 sport 16 and at 10% of GVWR of 3500 lb’s you are safe between 350-475 lb or 10-15 % of weight as long as your tow vehicle can handle it. I try to be at approx 425lb using my Chevy 1500 I only use a weigh safe hitch and ball and it tows and tracks beautifully with absolutely no sway and I have driven in 40 mph wind gusts. I am also selling my 2018 Airstrean Sport 16RB with solar and back up camera options and my weigh safe hitch so their is no guessing on tongue weight. It is listed on RV Trader for 37,000 with only 4 trips totaling under 2000 miles on it. Non smoker like new condition and just me lightly treading but I am putting it on consignment Tuesday so if you want a great deal on like new than act quickly
Rob Maynard
Robm1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #35
New 2019 Owner

2019 16' Sport
Clearwater , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The 2018 16 Sport that I weighed had a tongue weight of 347, with two full LP tanks, and empty water and waste tanks, with nothing in the trailer.
I have a 2019 16 sport with a LR Discovery Sport and I try to run with empty tanks including empty propane. Also nothing too heavy in front. Someday I will spring for the expensive weight distribution and sway. Viking I think. Would be nice and then I could also open my rear hatch easier! 😂😂
stewartprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by otorvund View Post
Does the Blu Ox sway bar / weight distribution reduce the tongue weight - i.e. distributing some of the weight to the front of the tv?
Welcome to the forum. No, no hitch changes tongue weight. All a WD hitch does is use leverage to distribute that weight through torsion.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Hi Robyn, sounds like you’ve thought this through and understand what you’re getting into. I’m guessing your Wrangler handled the T@b without any issues?

If so, try towing the Sport with a BlueOx SwayPro or similar hitch. That will be closer to your stated 4000/400 specs. Keep your speed reasonable and be careful in bad conditions.

We just went through a similar exercise moving up from a Flying Cloud 23FB to a Globetrotter 27FB. The tongue weight was at the limit of our tow vehicle. We could have done some of the same mods suggested in this thread but ultimately played it safe and traded up to get inline with the capacity.

Enjoy your new Airstream - there’s nothing like it!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Robyn

You have nothing to be concerned about with a 16 Sport and Unlimited. I would suggest an Eaz-Lift 600 Elite hitch system. The stock receiver is fine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3097.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	331630 I drove this combination a few times once through the steepest hills in the north east.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Here it is on an 18% gradeClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3098.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	331631

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Great shots Andrew, thanks for sharing! What size Airstream is that pulled by the Wrangler?
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote