Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #21
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
It seems odd that receivers don't have specs on both as "tongue weight" is not a complete description of the load on the receiver.
My BMW receivers have listed the same tongue weight limit for WD and non-WD use. This is likely because the receivers were not designed for a torque load from WD equipment, likely because WD equipment isn’t common where the design engineers live and work. A custom or aftermarket receiver resolves the issue. Certainly the vehicle can tow better and with more tongue weight, with WD equipment. This says nothing about the capabilities of the base vehicle platform. It would be like saying that the vehicle isn’t designed to go 100 mph, simply because the speedometer reads in km/hr, and disregarding that it can go 160 km/hr quite easily, if not much more.

The vehicle platform capability wrt towing is governed by the presence of a suitable receiver, plus blushed axle and tire load limits, the short rear overhang, tow vehicle handling and lateral stability, the low CoG, and so on. The OE receiver and its published limits are just non issues. Replace it.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCloud View Post
I'm waiting for the day I read a news article that someone's family was killed by someone else towing a trailer with a modified hitch to have a "proper setup". Or, no deaths or injuries, but an insurance company who denies a claim based on the modifications or being outside the manufacturers limitations on towing.

Just not worth it imo.

How old are you now?

How long until you’ve reached the proverbial four-score-and seven? (when the request times out)

Count the days.

In the meantime, remedial training in the importance of proper hitch rigging. Which is one-third of the equation. Equal in importance to both vehicles.

Please don’t say that you’re using a pickup, a pickup with no business use for all the solo miles. As a TV choice, it will be the weak link. The accident “source”.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:25 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
How old are you now?

How long until you’ve reached the proverbial four-score-and seven? (when the request times out)

Count the days.

In the meantime, remedial training in the importance of proper hitch rigging. Which is one-third of the equation. Equal in importance to both vehicles.

Please don’t say that you’re using a pickup, a pickup with no business use for all the solo miles. As a TV choice, it will be the weak link. The accident “source”.

Trying to sort out your cryptic post... I think you want me to get some "remedial training in the importance of proper hitch rigging?" And that apparently unless you have a business use for a pickup you shouldn't use one as a daily driver? (Says the guy towing with a pickup). Admittedly, I can't figure out what the reference to 87 and something timing out... you've got me there.

The OP was asking about towing something beyond the manufacturers specifications for the vehicle, or would the utilization of a WD hitch get the configuration to within limits. I stated I'd be concerned about safety and liability. Others have chimed in and we're all entitled to our opinions.

My first search on google brought me this article, which was the very first article returned. I didn't bother to go deeper than 1 (one) link. I'd be willing to bet more references aren't hard to find, and any ambulance chaser would be happy to learn that you've hitched your $100K Airstream to your VW Jetta because it's possible.

I'm not saying an X5 is a bad tow vehicle. I'm not saying a WD hitch wouldn't potentially bring the numbers within limits. I AM saying that in this litigious world, (someone else has stated something similar), the lawyers will find whatever they can and bury you with it. Perhaps a WD hitch will sufficiently bring his tongue weight to within vehicle manufacturer's specifications resulting in a towing configuration that would pass a legal challenge. That's what's not worth it to me. It's a game of buying down risk.

Peace.
LuckyCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I have towed our 27FB many thousands of miles with a Cayenne with no issues. My TW weight is around 850 lbs as measured with a Sherline hitch scale. The BMW X5 has similar weight and hitch ratings as the Cayenne. The key to success is a proper weight distribution set up and ensuring that you stay within the axle weight ratings. On my setup, I adjusted the WD to return the front axle weight to what it is without the trailer. This also moves some of the TW back to the trailer axles as well and makes for a very stable feeling tow setup.

I also own a 3500 GMC Duramax. Hitched up to the 27FB, it does not hold a candle to the Cayenne in handling, braking or comfort. It is therefore relegated to what it was designed for, hauling heavy stuff in the box. Trucks, despite all the manufacturers hype, are not the best tow vehicle around. That said, if you have a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer, there are no other options. With the Airstream, there are options. And trucks need not be at the top of the list.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
I have towed our 27FB many thousands of miles with a Cayenne with no issues. My TW weight is around 850 lbs as measured with a Sherline hitch scale. The BMW X5 has similar weight and hitch ratings as the Cayenne. The key to success is a proper weight distribution set up and ensuring that you stay within the axle weight ratings. On my setup, I adjusted the WD to return the front axle weight to what it is without the trailer. This also moves some of the TW back to the trailer axles as well and makes for a very stable feeling tow setup.

I also own a 3500 GMC Duramax. Hitched up to the 27FB, it does not hold a candle to the Cayenne in handling, braking or comfort. It is therefore relegated to what it was designed for, hauling heavy stuff in the box. Trucks, despite all the manufacturers hype, are not the best tow vehicle around. That said, if you have a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer, there are no other options. With the Airstream, there are options. And trucks need not be at the top of the list.
Youre absolutely right. My MB 350 diesel will out tow any half ton pickup on the market. I did however get a 3/4 ton pickup because I was tired of worrying about weight distribution.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote