Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you order a Lariat Supercrew, 6.5' box and 3.73 limited-slip diff, it's the HD Payload package and comes with E-rated LT tires and 7-lug wheels (17" aluminum wheels), etc. It's a 1,000-lb payload increase over the baseline config for the same truck. (2620 for 2WD, 2310 for 4WD.) Here's the 2013 brochure online with the info.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you order a Lariat Supercrew, 6.5' box and 3.73 limited-slip diff, it's the HD Payload package and comes with E-rated LT tires and 7-lug wheels (17" aluminum wheels), etc. It's a 1,000-lb payload increase over the baseline config for the same truck. (2620 for 2WD, 2310 for 4WD.) Here's the 2013 brochure online with the info.
The HD payload package would be nice but they severally limit what you can order with the HD package. No HID's, better stereo, rear camera, 5'5" bed length, etc.

Very frustrating that Ford is not more flexible with the options on these.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Just the fact that they even offer a P rated tire for this vehicle would scare me...

Good luck...you have already stated the obvious.
So should someone that is buying a Raptor be scared because they offer the F150's in 2wd? Some customers are buying F150's that want a better ride and are not using them to haul heavy loads (or trailers).

I'm thankful they offer the choices for different needs and uses. Just wish they offered the HD payload package with some of the higher end options.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
The HD payload package would be nice but they severally limit what you can order with the HD package. No HID's, better stereo, rear camera, 5'5" bed length, etc.

Very frustrating that Ford is not more flexible with the options on these.
Are you trying to configure an XLT or a Lariat? The Lariat with trailer tow, hd payload and 501a includes the rear view camera, so you can't configure it as an option. You can configure it with nav or with the upgraded Sony stereo.

You're right that it requires the 6.5' box, I think that particular wheelbase is required for the HD Payload pkg, probably something to do with the frame construction (just a guess.) It looks like what's unavailable with Lariat + HD Payload is package 502a, which has the HIDs and they're not a standalone option. Everything else in 502a is available as a standalone, though, so all you have to give up is HIDs. I haven't driven a 2013 at night, so I don't know if the headlights are as disappointing as those on my '07... after years of driving behind the projectors in my Legacy, I'm spoiled to bright light in a good pattern, but I think I'd give up good lights for 1,000 lb in payload and upgrade the lights afterwards.

PS: And yes, I completely agree that Ford makes it hard to order just the right thing... part of it is that their configurator just doesn't SHOW options that would require you to change a prior choice... e.g. if you pick the wrong rear axle or box length, it won't show you the HD Payload package that would require you to change the rear axle and/or box. I can see no reason that the HIDs shouldn't be available with HD Payload, though... maybe they don't want you to have HIDs without fancy chrome 20s?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote