Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I am going to catch it for this, but I FRICKIN LOVE CARLISLE TIRES!......
I have repaired damage just like in those photos a dozen times now.
ahh! now i see why you love carlisle! keep's the clients coming back!

::wink::
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I am going to catch it for this, but I FRICKIN LOVE CARLISLE TIRES! It is what I have run my own trailer with for over 45k miles with out ever adding a single pound of air and they still look brand new(I do respect the 5 year rule). I replaced them this season with the exact same tire and look forward to another long life with the new set. I put them on every single clients trailer who asks me to put new rubber on. Some people swear by Michelin, some by Goodyear, I swear by Carlisle. A blow out can happen for a hundred different reasons and often it is the brand that is blamed. Carlisle tires were American made and then went to China. They now are back to being American made.
I have repaired damage just like in those photos a dozen times now. It has been caused by every tire brand you can name.
Now bring it on. Tell me how wrong I am...
PS. I just placed an order for a client Friday. He needs all four and wants a spare too. Yep, Carlisle...
I have run Carlisle ST tires for four years on our little Scotty. This included a trip around the entire perimeter of Florida in July (from Pennsylvania and back) and I have never had a problem, and like you, have checked but never added air.

I need someone to explain to me their disdain for ST tires as they are recommended (especially for single axle trailers which my Scotty and AS Bambi are) for sidewall stiffness to keep the trailer behind you and in a straight line. What is the deal with ST hatred?

Ben
Old 08-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #43
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
ahh! now i see why you love carlisle! keep's the clients coming back!

::wink::
I know that was tongue and cheek, but my clients keep coming back because I am a straight up guy. Setting someone up for failure might be someone's business plan, but not mine. I develop a personal relationship and look at my clients as family. Talk to one of them and you find what I am saying to be true.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Dear Ben,

You develop disdain for ST tires when 3 out of 4 tires (GYM's) separate over a distance of 350 miles (look for our thread back in 2007). ST tires are not built to the same standards as P or LT tires; ST tires come apart more easily with heat than P or LT tires, which is why there are so many threads about ST tire problems on this forum. We changed to 16" Michelin XPS Ribs 70K miles ago (we are still using the same set we bought back in 2007) to protect ourselves and our trailer from inferior ST tires. Note that there are no threads devoted to P or LT tire problems.

Bye,

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
I know that was tongue and cheek, but my clients keep coming back because I am a straight up guy. Setting someone up for failure might be someone's business plan, but not mine. I develop a personal relationship and look at my clients as family. Talk to one of them and you find what I am saying to be true.
Actually, i believe you. I've been doing some research on where to get my GT fixed. I see a number of recommendations and i love what i see on your blog.

I was going to call you tomorrow - however, i hadn't made the connection that your SN and real life name were the same person. should have paid closer attention to your sig.

A total side note; you really should add your location to your website! took me a bit to figure out where ya were
Old 08-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I'm sure this is a topic for another thread, but I can't seem to find any information on how to repair the damage to the aluminum after a tire failure, as shown in the pics.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah View Post
I'm sure this is a topic for another thread, but I can't seem to find any information on how to repair the damage to the aluminum after a tire failure, as shown in the pics.
I doesn't really require a new thread. The way you repair it, unless you are a very skilled metal worker, is to take it to someone who is. It won't be a do-it-yourself job for the average owner.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Lame, since this just happened to me last week.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I doesn't really require a new thread. The way you repair it, unless you are a very skilled metal worker, is to take it to someone who is. It won't be a do-it-yourself job for the average owner.

Ken
Dad had a trailer tire blowout on the curbside rear. His is an '85 Excella. Within an hour I had repaired the fairly extensive damage using the original wheel well molding (had to cut it and re-bend it- final step was attaching this with screws), some aluminum flashing, tin snips, a drill, and pop rivets. After spraying with dark gray color matching spray paint, the damage is not detectable unless you are sitting there looking for it.

The "mother cord" was a bit messed up, but I could not access it. I think he lost some gauge readings for water tanks, etc.

Owning an AS means you need to know your way around tools and especially pop rivets, and have some common sense about repairing something on the trailer. They seem and are hyped up to be more complex than they really are. Years of working on them in the driveway taught us how to be creative and effective while saving money that would have had to be spent paying someone else to repair the trailer for more cross country travels.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Dad had a trailer tire blowout on the curbside rear. His is an '85 Excella. Within an hour I had repaired the fairly extensive damage using the original wheel well molding (had to cut it and re-bend it- final step was attaching this with screws), some aluminum flashing, tin snips, a drill, and pop rivets. After spraying with dark gray color matching spray paint, the damage is not detectable unless you are sitting there looking for it.

The "mother cord" was a bit messed up, but I could not access it. I think he lost some gauge readings for water tanks, etc.

Owning an AS means you need to know your way around tools and especially pop rivets, and have some common sense about repairing something on the trailer. They seem and are hyped up to be more complex than they really are. Years of working on them in the driveway taught us how to be creative and effective while saving money that would have had to be spent paying someone else to repair the trailer for more cross country travels.
Two points:

1. I bet it didn't look anything like the pictures posted above. That is what the question referenced.

2. there is repairing and there is patching together. My definition of repairing does not include what you described. I call "repairing" restoring to the original condition.

Owning an Airstream does not mean you need to know your way around tools, etc. It definitely helps, but reading threads on these forums proves that it is not a requirement, anymore than knowing how to change a tire is a requirement for owning a car. Nice to know, yes, but not a necessity. Plenty of people get by without it.

Ken
Old 08-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
2. there is repairing and there is patching together. My definition of repairing does not include what you described. I call "repairing" restoring to the original condition.
this is much more polite than my response would have been. My opinion of 'repair' to my beloved trailer would not have included screws, spray paint, or pop rivets.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you have women in the car you will stop often enough.

Perry

Quote:
Checking tire temps with a IR thermometer is a great idea. However, if you don't stop that often, it might not be checked in time to save a problem. Although the expense is greater, I believe that a TPMS that also measures temperature is by far a surer way to stay out of trouble. It certainly gives me piece of mind while driving.

Ken
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
If you have women in the car you will stop often enough.

Perry
No comment.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Sorry that was the wine talking. It disabled my PC monitor.

I use an IR thermometer from Newegg.com. Rosewell RTMT-11001 but there are a bunch to chose from. A calibrated hand works just as well. Get one with the laser pointer.

Newegg.com - IR thermometer

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Sorry that was the wine talking. It disabled my PC monitor.

I use an IR thermometer from Newegg.com. Rosewell RTMT-11001 but there are a bunch to chose from. A calibrated hand works just as well. Get one with the laser pointer.

Newegg.com - IR thermometer

Perry
Those are really handy. I bought one a few months ago. Now I know the average temperature of a cat's butt.

With that and my recently acquired flexible inspection camera, no secret is safe from me.

Ken
Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
this is much more polite than my response would have been. My opinion of 'repair' to my beloved trailer would not have included screws, spray paint, or pop rivets.

Wow. I was happy to be able to get Dad's trailer back in service and save him lots of money. And by the way...the damage did look similar to the pics on this thread. And it looks very good now. Glad I do know how to use some tools.

Never suffered such backlash from a reply on these forums before. I will have to stand back and leave the repair advice to the professionals next time.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #57

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Wow. I was happy to be able to get Dad's trailer back in service and save him lots of money. And by the way...the damage did look similar to the pics on this thread. And it looks very good now. Glad I do know how to use some tools.

Never suffered such backlash from a reply on these forums before. I will have to stand back and leave the repair advice to the professionals next time.
Please post a photo of the repair if you ever find one, and please don't hold back on pragmatic advice because of the response. This is a fairly open forum as long as you stay within the rules, and nothing you said was outside the rules as far as I can tell.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

Those are really handy. I bought one a few months ago. Now I know the average temperature of a cat's butt.

With that and my recently acquired flexible inspection camera, no secret is safe from me.

Ken
Wow. Glad I don't have one of those to play with. my tire minder gives me the info I want from the comfort of my air conditioned seat.

And what is the average temp of a cats butt. 98.9? And do you have to clean your camera often? .

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Wow. Glad I don't have one of those to play with. my tire minder gives me the info I want from the comfort of my air conditioned seat.

And what is the average temp of a cats butt. 98.9? And do you have to clean your camera often? .
I can't remember, I guess I'll have to do it again. I usually take the readings about 6 feet away. I haven't done a colonoscopy on a cat yet so the camera is still clean. I plan to use the camera to see what is in all those hidden nooks and crannies in our trailer. We have to be careful, because Tiger goes into any open cabinet door or drawer and disappears. If we leave the bathroom vanity door open, he goes in there and then behind the shower stall and ends up somewhere under the fridge. If he ever gets stuck, we have to take the whole trailer apart.

Be careful, we (or maybe just me) are derailing another thread.

Ken
Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #60
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:

PA BAMBI II,

Glad to hear that you were able to get your Dad's trailer back in service. It definately helps to be handy when owning an airstream. When I had the blowout on my Carlisle last week I didnt start hating on Carlisles. I have installed them on several of my clients Airstreams as well. This is the first time I have had a blowout on my Airstream. I was just getting ready to replace them due to age. I also like Maxxis and have installed those and wouldnt be opposed to installing LT tires. The reality is that we're not going to solve this tire issue here on the forums.

Mod hat on..

I just want to remind everyone of the be nice rule.

Airslide

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote