Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ugh... this makes me crazy!

My Argosy came with a set of Carlisle Radial Trail 225-75-15s, C load range. They are about 6 years old, and I'm going to replace them before we go to Albuquerque in October. I'd been considering replacing with the same thing OR the LTX Michelins... I think I'm feeling a Michelin purchase coming on.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Two years ago on my way to a rally in September I had a street side rear tire blow out. It did $7000.00 woth of damage to my trailer. It was a Carlisle tire. Never again!! After repairs were complete, I went down and bought 4 P23575R15 XL Michelinsand put them on. This is on a 97 Excella 1000. Have been happy ever since.

BTW, whatever tire you get, have them filled with Nitrogen-less temperature and pressure fluctuation in hot climates.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
PS-all my trailers now get the Michelin XL-especially DW's sisters on the fly trailer!!
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Two years ago on my way to a rally in September I had a street side rear tire blow out. It did $7000.00 woth of damage to my trailer. It was a Carlisle tire. Never again!! After repairs were complete, I went down and bought 4 P23575R15 XL Michelinsand put them on. This is on a 97 Excella 1000. Have been happy ever since.

BTW, whatever tire you get, have them filled with Nitrogen-less temperature and pressure fluctuation in hot climates.
Thanks for the feedback Bruce.

The Michelins you purchased have a weight rating of 2183? according to the website? My airstream sits at exactly 4000 lbs per axle at the scales. What does the weight limit show on your tires?

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Fortunately the safety margins on car tires are better than on trailer tires so if you are right at the max load you should be ok. I would keep track of tire temps and if they start running hot slow down. Mine are always cooler than the tow vehicle tires. You can use that as a guide. If they start getting hotter than the tow vehicle tires slow down or pull over till they cool off. If the tow vehicle tires get around 200 F I would let them cool as well.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
If you want to run a sanity check...

Take the weight of your trailer, then go find a vehicle that has the same GVWR...(hint, it will probably have dual rear tires).

See if you can talk the owner of the vehicle to install 4 15" trailer tires, load the vehicle to the max and drive through the desert at highway speeds.

A quick look will show, for most of us, it would be like outfitting a fully loaded 4X4 Excursion with Marathons...and we wonder why they fail!

Hummm...a Dually Airstream?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i googled 'carlisle class action' and there appears to have been someone interested in a class-action suit back in 05' but i dont see what came of it.

i did get lots of results on RV blow outs very similar to ours. seems ridiculous that they cam keep making this unsafe tire after so many complaints.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
i googled 'carlisle class action' and there appears to have been someone interested in a class-action suit back in 05' but i dont see what came of it.

i did get lots of results on RV blow outs very similar to ours. seems ridiculous that they cam keep making this unsafe tire after so many complaints.
It's because people keep buying trailer tires. If we all start buying LT tires they won't sell them any more. I will never buy another ST tire again even for my utility trailer.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We had a bias tread Carlisle tire with only a few thousand miles on it.... it was actually defective and just came apart while driving the Interstate... bent part of our Airstream in the wheel well and trim area... We went to the tire dealer and they tried to get Carlisle to replace it for us at least.... no joy, they wouldn't accept any responsibility. We changed our tires as soon as we returned home.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Fortunately the safety margins on car tires are better than on trailer tires so if you are right at the max load you should be ok. I would keep track of tire temps and if they start running hot slow down. Mine are always cooler than the tow vehicle tires. You can use that as a guide. If they start getting hotter than the tow vehicle tires slow down or pull over till they cool off. If the tow vehicle tires get around 200 F I would let them cool as well.

Perry
Perry - what device do you use to monitor tire temps? Can you provide an Internet link?

Great thread - we are due to replace our tires so appreciate this one!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You can get the 235 in a XL rating that is higher than a standard car tire. It is also wider so it can carry more load at lower pressures. I think the Michelins in 235 XL would be a great tire for your trailer. Getting an IR thermometer can make measuring tire temps easy. When the tire starts getting near 200F you need to back off and slow down. You can also use it to adjust pressures. When the temp in the center and sides is the same you are good. When it is hotter in the center too much pressure and hotter on edges means too low pressure or overloaded tire.

Perry
Checking tire temps with a IR thermometer is a great idea. However, if you don't stop that often, it might not be checked in time to save a problem. Although the expense is greater, I believe that a TPMS that also measures temperature is by far a surer way to stay out of trouble. It certainly gives me piece of mind while driving.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
We had a bias tread Carlisle tire with only a few thousand miles on it.... it was actually defective and just came apart while driving the Interstate... bent part of our Airstream in the wheel well and trim area... We went to the tire dealer and they tried to get Carlisle to replace it for us at least.... no joy, they wouldn't accept any responsibility. We changed our tires as soon as we returned home.
I absolutely believe carlisle ST (trailer) tires should be considered a defective product. We are just 2 months out of warranty. I hope anyone who googles carlisle tires find this thread and doesn't buy them.

The blowout caused the same damage on our trailer. I'm going to take a pic and post it. I'm thinking im going to have to file an insurance claim for this. thoughts?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
[QUOTE=bonginator;1190582]Perry - what device do you use to monitor tire temps? Can you provide an Internet link?

I'm a fan of carrying an IR thermometer and find many uses for one, but my Dill TPMS monitors PSI and internal tire temps reporting to a display on the dash or windshield pod mount. PSI is displayed on a continuous rotation to see temp you push and hold a button. Hi temp will sound alarm. I have had tire issues too and not looking forward to any more.

IR thermometer uses:
AC Check
Cooling system on truck check
Tires, brakes, hubs
Last trip I even used it to find a hot 120V 30A pedestal connection. Their plug was toasted. I even used it to check my 120V circuit breaker temps looking for trouble.
Check temp on a closed charcoal or gas grill
List goes on and on
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey

this was the damage the blowout caused.

yes, thats a chicken butt in the background. my apologies.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post

this was the damage the blowout caused.

yes, thats a chicken butt in the background. my apologies.
That's Nasty.

The damage, not the chicken butt. The chicken butt's kinda cute.

Ken
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #36
Rivet Master

There are about a gazillion tire threads on Airforums. I think I've read more than half of them. There are even threads extolling the virtues of Carlisle tires. After digesting as much of those threads as I could, I have come to one conclusion. Some brands are better than others,and some batches of the same brand are better than others, but, to put it in technical terms, ST tires suck.

Ken
Old 08-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I use tire minder. And it worked great. All wireless, and you don't have to replace stems..TireMinder Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Product - Camping World

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
To the use of IR thermometers and such... the tire pressure and tire temperature are a linear relationship... so simply measuring your tire pressure will tell you if something is overheating. Any more than a 10% rise and you've got something going on... under inflation to begin with, tire defect...

As for blow outs... I've read and read and read... I'm not convinced it is always a 'bad tire'... there seems to be a lot of failures after curb-strikes (if people recognize this happened, or will admit it). This makes sense to me, because you have maybe 4 tires that are at 80 to 90% shared load on a larger trailer, then you whack one of them into a curb and suddenly deform the sidewall with 200 to 300% of it's rated load. This would make a lot more sense to me than a tire just delaminating or belts breaking for no reason.

Take one of your old ST tires and TRY to destroy it. Pretty tough...

I'm sure there are some manufacturer defects... but after looking at lots of pictures of deformed tires, and noting the obvious curb rubbing damage to the sidewalls... I'm wondering if there isn't more to it.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #39
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am going to catch it for this, but I FRICKIN LOVE CARLISLE TIRES! It is what I have run my own trailer with for over 45k miles with out ever adding a single pound of air and they still look brand new(I do respect the 5 year rule). I replaced them this season with the exact same tire and look forward to another long life with the new set. I put them on every single clients trailer who asks me to put new rubber on. Some people swear by Michelin, some by Goodyear, I swear by Carlisle. A blow out can happen for a hundred different reasons and often it is the brand that is blamed. Carlisle tires were American made and then went to China. They now are back to being American made.
I have repaired damage just like in those photos a dozen times now. It has been caused by every tire brand you can name.
Now bring it on. Tell me how wrong I am...
PS. I just placed an order for a client Friday. He needs all four and wants a spare too. Yep, Carlisle...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We went the insurance route... but the cost of the repair and our deductible... bottom line didn't get too far, still have a dent... We still think Carlisle should have replaced our tire because it was defective... but the tire dealer had the tire on the shelf for quite a while so Carlisle passed the buck, we didn't get any cooperation from anyone. But, won't buy Carlisle tires again....
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote