Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post

For those that have newer RAM's and GM products how are they on the navigation systems?
Daquenzer, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12" screen and NAV. It's my first FCA vehicle and can tell you the Uconnect system is pretty intuitive and the maps offer what you'd expect with arrows for lanes to be in and next turn instructions in the center (speedometer) display.

I agree with the other posters that CarPlay or Android is silly-simple to use, but I love the real estate you get with the 12" display for Uconnect maps. *Car Play and Android only use the top half of the 12"; you can display the radio or environment controls in the bottom.

That said, the other reason to consider a Ram is the interior. It's "Mercedes / BMW" like inside. The rest of the truck is very nice too. Go sit in one and you'll see what I mean.

To gypsydad's point - definitely check the driver's door sticker for ACTUAL payload. I was told our Ram 1500's payload was 1840# by the salesperson based on his Ram Configuration Tools - they dealer-traded for the vehicle. A few weeks after we picked it up I discovered it was really 1220#. Had I known that I would have opted for a Ram 2500 gas that's in the 3000# payload range.
Still working with the dealer to get the payload we were sold...

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2106.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	346878  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #22
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCloud View Post
If you’re bent on getting a new TV and have a smartphone, ensure it supports CarPlay or the Android version.

You can also upgrade your existing radio to something that supports those and is a lot less $ than a new truck (though it’s a great excuse)! Check out crutchfield

I just picked up a 2019 duramax, it’s impressive. I also really like the no-contract WiFi hotspot in the truck.

I will readily admit the Ram was the most impressive, but $22k more than a similarly equipped chev.
a similar equipped 2019 Duramax was $22k less than the Ram? Really?
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Daquenzer, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12" screen and NAV. It's my first FCA vehicle and can tell you the Uconnect system is pretty intuitive and the maps offer what you'd expect with arrows for lanes to be in and next turn instructions in the center (speedometer) display.

I agree with the other posters that CarPlay or Android is silly-simple to use, but I love the real estate you get with the 12" display for Uconnect maps. *Car Play and Android only use the top half of the 12"; you can display the radio or environment controls in the bottom.

That said, the other reason to consider a Ram is the interior. It's "Mercedes / BMW" like inside. The rest of the truck is very nice too. Go sit in one and you'll see what I mean.

To gypsydad's point - definitely check the driver's door sticker for ACTUAL payload. I was told our Ram 1500's payload was 1840# by the salesperson based on his Ram Configuration Tools - they dealer-traded for the vehicle. A few weeks after we picked it up I discovered it was really 1220#. Had I known that I would have opted for a Ram 2500 gas that's in the 3000# payload range.

Good luck!
Interested to see about your resolution on that payload when they get you happy...thanks for the update!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Ram has problem with payload numbers, my 3/4 RAM if you check the VIN it says it has 3180(?) but on my yellow door tag it says 2868.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post

Good luck!
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
My Rand McNally still working.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
You may not be at all surprised to learn that the number one complaint of all new car buyers from all vendors is that #%$&! navigation system.

I could tell you stories about my Nissan Pathfinder navigation system, but suffice to say, the voice activated part is soooooo bad, it is worthless to use in actual practice. Nissan should be publicly shamed for putting out such a system. And they want $150 every year to update the maps! Talk about out of touch...

I agree the iPhone is the gold standard; no car maker has come close to matching. Just give me CarPlay and I'd be happy. I do think FCA's Uconnect is the best of class, but CarPlay is much better. There is also the issue of hackers successfully hacking integrated Navsystems and causing havoc in the car's systems (applying brakes, in one case!) So there's that to consider...
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Covington , Ohio
Gps

I spend a lot of time driving various vehicles, driving for Uber, pulling our Airstream and driving our personal vehicle. I not found any factory GPS that I like, even the newest, so I always come back to Google maps. Apple CarPlay makes it easy today.
donrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I bought a Magellan Rv9490t 2 months ago - Oh the regrets I have....... Dumb thing likes to freeze up. On my last trip it wouldn't power back up. Two days later it started to work again.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We have a 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500 and it has good navigation, maps seem up to date. However, we often use the OnStar rather than the maps to do our navigation. Just call, they talk to you and then send the map directly to your system. And, if they make a mistake (say sending you up the Moki dugway with your trailer) you can ask for a different route! Our old Silverado didn't even have the Nav system...just OnStar, so we didn't have a choice.

We like that service on our tow vehicle and while it took a bit to learn to use it (Hey, I'd rather do it myself!) they have been a Godsend in emergencies and really helped getting us out of places that made no sense by the maps we had.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Time to change to RAM?

Cheapest solution is to just use your phone on a mount. Your current vehicle won’t support Apple CarPlay or the android equivalent.

Next option is trade out the current radio head for one that will, but you might give up some integrated functionality depending on the truck.

Third is get a new one, Ford/GM/Ram all have plus’s and minuses. Payload, interior, electronics. Pick your poison.

I just switched from a 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 to a Ford F-350. Navigation looks similar but I am told the ford gives me free updates GM did not but didn’t care cause used CarPlay
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
I would like to make the comment about WAZE and does work with Apple Play just like Google maps does and displays in place of the onboard Nav system. I really like the warning of something on the road like those big hunks of tire left by 18 wheelers. Gives you the heads up and watch out from them. Also real-time reporting on slow traffic and of coarse speed traps.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #32

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Cheapest solution is to just use your phone on a mount. Your current vehicle won’t support Apple CarPlay or the android equivalent.

Next option is trade out the current radio head for one that will, but you might give up some integrated functionality depending on the truck.

Third is get a new one, Ford/GM/Ram all have plus’s and minuses. Payload, interior, electronics. Pick your poison.

I just switched from a 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 to a Ford F-350. Navigation looks similar but I am told the ford gives me free updates GM did not but didn’t care cause used CarPlay
The OP says he has a 2017 F150 with nav... that means Sync3. 2017s with Sync3 have Android Auto and I believe they have Carplay but I don't have an iPhone so can't swear to that. Swapping out an integrated Sync3 system for some aftermarket thing would be a major undertaking.

Your Ford DEALER may give you free map updates for your F350, but I'd put my money on "salesman will tell you anything to get that check." TANSTAAFL. Ford corporate ain't giving away the maps updates.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have a Nissan Titan XD with nav. Yes you have to purchase updates. Garmin has an RV specific 7" screen gps with route planner and available rear view camera. They give lifetime map updates....GIVE, no charge. I'm thinking about this.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
I have a RAM 2500 with Nav and a later Jeep grand cherokee and decidede against Nav. I decided to skip automotive-based navigation finally and just use my cell phone and google maps. I find the "routing function" (not so much the map) on automotive somewhat hookey and leading you astray at times. I will sometimes on a long trip also put my destination in the RAM so i get turns on the main dash (unless it conflicts with google); but have deactivated any voice commands. So in summary - Advise not to change based on just desire for better Nav (but i do love my RAM).
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Conroe , TX
I was in the same boat, however the map updates are really expensive so I bought a Garmin RV770 with free updates and it is designed for the rv world.Take a look at web site.
Lost4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Interesting perspectives. I have always bought cars with the NAV systems and have been thoroughly bothered by the cost and infrequency of updates. In my Volvo it takes hours for the update from a thumb drive, so I just stopped updating. There are only a couple of services in the country or world doing the map database and updates so no real options. But, I do like the simplicity of integrated navigation.
I suspect that many people today use their phones and Google maps, but I am a holdout on unlimited data service, I refuse to do it.
As long as I have owned trucks, I am content to put my Garmin on the dash. They do FREE updates at least quarterly, which is the business model I choose to support. I also like the RV features, including elevation profiles, in my Garmin RV.
Larry
I too like the GPS Nav devices....I have several in different vehicles.....But my gf loves WAZE, and so when we are Airsteamng, I am driving, and so she does the navigation, and she chooses Waze, so that is what I end up using.....it does some very nice things, like warnings about radar, debris in the road, stopped vehicles, traffic backups, etc.....my GPS Nav devices do not do that, although they do warn me about "camera intersections".....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post

Hey JonDnc,
Would you care to elaborate on your criteria for switching to an F-350, and what you like/dislike after the switch?
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrogers View Post
I spend a lot of time driving various vehicles, driving for Uber, pulling our Airstream and driving our personal vehicle. I not found any factory GPS that I like, even the newest, so I always come back to Google maps. Apple CarPlay makes it easy today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
I have a Nissan Titan XD with nav. Yes you have to purchase updates. Garmin has an RV specific 7" screen gps with route planner and available rear view camera. They give lifetime map updates....GIVE, no charge. I'm thinking about this.
Y'all might look into these "free lifetime" updates.....I've been told by several people who bought new GPS units, that "Lifetime" is only 3 years.....depending on one's age, that may be adequate, or maybe a bit optimistic.....

For whatever it's worth

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
Hey JonDnc,

Would you care to elaborate on your criteria for switching to an F-350, and what you like/dislike after the switch?

Made the switch for capacity nothing to do with GMC vs Ford. We were up against/just over load capacity on the 1/2 ton with generators etc in the bed. So decided to error on the side of safety. Chose the Ford due to availability as the 2020 GMCs not in dealers yet and 2019s didn’t have the features we wanted with regard to cameras etc.

Did not look at RAM cause I just don’t like the way they look.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
In all due respect...it sounds to me like you've got a bad case of the "new truck bug" and you're trying to come for a justification to buy a new truck. Rather, than go thru all this "mental excercise" that really doesn't solve any one question. If you got the money....then just go and buy what you want. I've got a 2017 F150 Lariat with 55 thousand miles. It looks great yet from time to time the GPS has a little hiccup. Rather than use that a reason to trade it would be a lot cheaper to replace the GPS with an RV Specific GPS. Just saying...don't mean any offense.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote