Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I think the Gen-Y was moving side to side at the shank, not the arms. Just need to shim the shank just like any other hitch.

I couldn't find anything in the manual related to steering axle weight while towing.

No aftermarket lift kit or anything, the truck will remain stock. It is already fairly high from the factory, being a 2500 Power Wagon.

Wheelbase is 149".

Got an email back from Gen-Y.

The 1205 (2" shank) weighs 75 lbs and the 1305 (2.5" shank) weighs 95 lbs. Definitely beefy units. Considering that a Gen-Y and a ProPride would add ~300 lbs to the hitch area, that is a bit excessive.

I may just go with the ProPride P3 alone.

Is there anything out there comparable to the P3 or Hensley (force projection) but doesn't weigh as much?

Also, what security options are there for a P3? How do you lock this baby up so the trailer can't be stolen.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thoughts on Hitches for my rig.

I remove the ProPride stinger from the truck and store it separately from the trailer. There are several threads on the site about securing trailers. Mine is locked in a neighbors yard behind a steel gate.

I have other security measures in place that would get this thread locked if we discuss them...😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Do you actually have the new Ram Power Wagon already? Factory lift kit and off-road tires add instability, very light payload and tow weight rating for a 3/4 ton; not sure a hitch can make this handle well on the highway, not to mention loading it down for full-time use.

The Hensley/ProPride design is your best bet, it takes away the lever of rear axle-to-hitch ball that transmits yaw of the trailer to the steering axle of your truck. Use the w.d. bars recommended by the Hensley or ProPride manufacturer, which will most probably be 1400#.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
The Power Wagon actually does quite well towing surprisingly. TFLTruck did a 9,000 lb towing test on the Ike Gauntlet. They even said it was one of the best trucks they ever tested for a non-diesel going down the mountain.

I think I may just get the P3 and call it a day.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We have towed for 40+ years. We ran Reese for most of those years. We had sway and I was never in love with it. We bought a new 30' FC and a new F350 Diesel. The dealer would install anything I wanted but they recommended Equalizer. I'm always game for new (to me) things so we went with Equalizer. Several small trips last season and then a 10,000 mile trip from Pittsburgh to the Pacific Coast back thru NV, UT etc and then home.

No sway, no issues, very stable, not one popped rivet. Whe we towed another 30' FC with an F250 we had nine popped rivets in a 4,000 mile trip using a Reese set up. We had some slop so I now use a 2-1/2" shank instead of a 2" with a spacer with 1,000 pound bars. We do not have the option to balance the load the way it should as we have factory recliners up front with zero storage except in overhead cabinets, so I don't worry about it.

Bud
You are towing a 30' Airstream with an F-350 Diesel ??
What else do you use that truck for ? Hauling a D4 Cat Dozer around ?
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote