Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Already a thread out there...additionally, if you do a search under "firearm", you'll see many more threads...but I think this one was the most popular:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=firearm
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
My heart goes out to those among us who have to live with these kind of concerns on a daily basis. Crime was just one of many reasons I chose to permanently re-locate to Maine many years ago. The first home we rented - although right in the middle of town - had no locks on the doors. Nowadays, due almost solely to the rampant drug problem that plagues every community , we do keep our doors locked. On the other hand, the Airstream itself is, IMHO, a target best suited to the professional thief with the means to tow and hide it (---pretty hard to do in Maine.) I worry more about some kid thinking that there might be gold bricks or drugs inside - while he batters his way through the door or window - doing thousands of dollars in damage! I keep the AS locked and, yes, I do use a simple hitch lock also, but I often wonder if I wouldn't be better off leaving it open - like we use to do with our boats in the marina. "Enter - take what you want - and leave quietly! I'll recover my losses from the insurance company without having to worry about repairs." As for using guns as a deterrant - almost every house in Maine has a full complement of firearms - and most "would be" amateur thiefs that live around here know it and fear it - thereby avoiding an occupied home! The problem is that, when the house isn't occupied - the firearms cache is worthless as a deterrant, but of great value in itself. Firearms are probably the most common items sought and stolen from unoccupied homes and camps.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Cracker,
Agreed...firearms are a great deterrent when you are there to use them, but when you're not....it did add a bit of humor to the thread though! My own guns stay in a Cannon gun safe at all times (except for the .45 by the bed). Safe from thieves and more importantly kids. Just another very important part of responsible gun ownership!
-Don

P.S. I do travel with a .45 too. Too many nuts on the road!
cobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Thanks, Mark, yukionna, Keith, jimmickle, Michelle and others to follow...
Looking for more postings on this cold night even here in San Diego!

Thanks, Michelle, for your recommendation of Master Lock…
I am leaning towards Master Lock Adjustable or Universal Coupler Lock.
Especially one that comes in Keyed Alike Trailer Lock Kit:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200172124_200172124

Just placed an order with Northernt Tool for the set, thanks very much for this post.........
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Locks for HAHAs

What are folks using for locks on Hensley Arrow hitches?
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93
Cracker,
Agreed...firearms are a great deterrent when you are there to use them, but when you're not....it did add a bit of humor to the thread though! My own guns stay in a Cannon gun safe at all times (except for the .45 by the bed). Safe from thieves and more importantly kids. Just another very important part of responsible gun ownership!
-Don

P.S. I do travel with a .45 too. Too many nuts on the road!
Cobra93

I use to travel with my M1 Carbine, since it tucks away nicely and isn't too long to break out in the trailer - but, unfortunately, too many of the places we frequent, such as New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PE Island - and even Massachusetts - have strict prohibitive gun laws. I've been trying to "re-purchase" my deceased brothers 45 Colt Single Action - but the guy who presently owns it (---a close friend of my brother) is a bit attached to it! I always liked the style and functionality of the single action - as well as the feel of it. A great little pistol to keep handy!

Old 01-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Yikes! All you gun-toting Airstreamers are scaring me!
Perhaps we should form a list of gun-toting Airstreamers so we don't inadvertently walk into their trailer without knocking!

Ya know, late at night, after an extended happy hour, the trailers can all start looking the same!
It's a sad fact of life that there already exists a list and it is held by our "friends" at the ATF. Now all you will have to do is cross reference it with the DMV records of each state for Airstreas and bammm you have your list.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Exclamation Caution re: Ordering Master Lock Kit/Set

[quote=toastie]
toastie:
"Just placed an order with Northernt Tool for the set, thanks very much for this post."
.................................................. .................................................. .
Caution:
I have not verified that the coupler lock in this set will actually fit on Airstream trailers, especially the newer ones.
Some outlets on web do not state the ball size in this kit…
I suspect that this lock is for 2" ball size rather than the 2 5/16th needed by many of us.

I would like to hear from anyone who does use Master Lock…
What model # works for you and what year and model is your Airstream?
SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #29
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If you get past my locked door then you have a problem.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #30
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
My anti theft system

Now- does doorgunner mean anything to you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86 Excella 063.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	30825  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
[quote=SilverGate]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
toastie:
"Just placed an order with Northernt Tool for the set, thanks very much for this post."
.................................................. .................................................. .
Caution:
I have not verified that the coupler lock in this set will actually fit on Airstream trailers, especially the newer ones.
Some outlets on web do not state the ball size in this kit…
I suspect that this lock is for 2" ball size rather than the 2 5/16th needed by many of us.

I would like to hear from anyone who does use Master Lock…
What model # works for you and what year and model is your Airstream?
SilverGate
\

Hi, My concern for the coupler lock is will it fit over or around the rolled lip on my trailer's coupler? As for the latch pin lock and the matching receiver lock, I don't recommend these from Master. I had these and only used them on my trip back from Oregon to Lakewood, Ca. When home and removeing the receiver / hitch lock I noticed the shaft on the Master lock was bent. And this was only on it's first one way trip home from the [Airstream] selling dealer. I later purchase a different lock set in which the receiver lock shaft was the right size and did not have the adapter sleeve. The lock set I bought for my coupler latch lock and and receiver lock says "Smith & Wesson" on it. I'm still looking for a good lock for the coupler ball,
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
gunner...NOW THATS WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT!

No brass....No ammo!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
English lock

My wife traveled England in a rented car a few years ago. We were amazed at how many parked trailers (caravans) had wheel boots. We stayed with my cousin in Cornwall and their 'caravan' was behind a locked gate.....and was also sporting a boot.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
[quote=ROBERTSUNRUS]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
\

Hi, My concern for the coupler lock is will it fit over or around the rolled lip on my trailer's coupler? As for the latch pin lock and the matching receiver lock, I don't recommend these from Master. I had these and only used them on my trip back from Oregon to Lakewood, Ca. When home and removeing the receiver / hitch lock I noticed the shaft on the Master lock was bent. And this was only on it's first one way trip home from the [Airstream] selling dealer. I later purchase a different lock set in which the receiver lock shaft was the right size and did not have the adapter sleeve. The lock set I bought for my coupler latch lock and and receiver lock says "Smith & Wesson" on it. I'm still looking for a good lock for the coupler ball,
Robert

Thanks for your input, here is the product decription of the set that I bought, if it doesn't work, it will be going on ebay........thanks again

Product Description
From the Manufacturer
Keyed Alike Trailer Coupler lock, Barbell receiver lock (5/8" & 1/2") & coupler latch (7/8" width) locks

Product Description
This convenient lock set comes with three primary locks needed for trailer security, keyed alike and stored in a handy carrying case. Set includes a coupler lock for unattended trailers, a coupler latch lock to secure coupler onto ball while it's attached to vehicle, and a universal receiver lock to lock the draw bar in the receiver. This item will not fit a 2 5/16" tongue.
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkelly
What are folks using for locks on Hensley Arrow hitches?
What I di is store my hitch bar secured in its place on the Hensley. Instead of one of the pins, I put a pad lock where one of the pins goes.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
It's a sad fact of life that there already exists a list and it is held by our "friends" at the ATF. Now all you will have to do is cross reference it with the DMV records of each state for Airstreas and bammm you have your list.
Heck, all they have to do is pull my FOID and come knocking at my door. Doubt it will ever happen in my lifetime, but it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
If you get past my locked door then you have a problem.

Though I agree with that statement, it's the last thing in the world I'd like to see happen. Besides the mess it would make in the Airstream (or in the house), the thought of having that live with me would be pretty hard....I don't even kill little house spiders...I trap them and put them outside.

That said, if someone were to do it and they met the basic criteria, were clearly going to harm or kill anyone inside, in most states, it would be justified....still hard to live with, but justified.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:01 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Silvergate,

On my '03 Safari, I've tried both the Gorilla (not enough clearance between the u-shaped clamp) and the Master #377 (pin does not pull out far enough to clear rolled lip of coupler). I use the Guardian G-35 and it works/fits nicely.

Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The weak point in our Airstreams, when occupied, will always be the door. If the AS is in storage, or otherwise unoccupied, you might as well leave it unlocked. With respect to the door, the truth is that a well placed wrecking bar will probably pry it open in one quick move. My Florida condo had a main entry door that opened out like our Airstream doors - and it too was blessed with a cheap lock (---including a deadbolt) that a wrecking bar would laugh at! My answer was to install two 3/8" diameter stainless steel carriage bolts through the door, about 2' apart and level with each other, secured on the inside with eye loop nuts. I then fabricated a long bar that would reach across both door jambs and mounted two 3/8" hook bolts through the bar, matching the spacing of the eye loop nuts on the door. It was a simple matter at night to then simply hang the bar on the eye loops, where it rested against the door jambs. At that point it would take an axe or dynamite to get in! I believe a similar setup could be fabricated for the AS - notwithstanding the interference from the screen door - using one stainless steel bolt and hook in the vicinity of the locking mechanism and screen door access panel. Then, since we only have one bolt, the ends of the bar would have to be simply supported at the jambs. With this setup you'll have time to get out of bed, load your black powder pistol - or string your bow, give the perp ample warning, relax on the couch, and prepare yourself psychologically to pull the trigger!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #39
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, you could do that, but then, on the newer Airstreams with windows both the door and that good size picture window just front of the door, you can in fact break either and bypass most of what anyone would place in on or around the door....and you wouldn't need a pry bar for it either.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Whittier , California
Locking with a Hensley

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
What I di is store my hitch bar secured in its place on the Hensley. Instead of one of the pins, I put a pad lock where one of the pins goes.

Moosetags---Thanks for the info on how you secure with a Hensley.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote