Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I see your point, but at some point a black tank flush hose is gonna meet with the campgrounds water supply. I could buy a fresh hose every time I need to flush.

But I do see your point. I guess we all need to dip the campground spigot into clorox before using for this reason. I'm not being facetious as a previous camper (and in this case me) may have used a hose dedicated for black rinse. Maybe in this example, my Y actually protected against this problem.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:50 AM   #42
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Yup, agree all. My routine is flush supply spigot, slather with hand sanitizer, flush, hook up potable hose. After using the black water flush hose, do same for my potable reconnect or the next guy. I might be wasting a lot of hand cleaner, but I'm following the "prescription" [emoji12] .
Old 09-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Yup, agree all. My routine is flush supply spigot, slather with hand sanitizer, flush, hook up potable hose. After using the black water flush hose, do same for my potable reconnect or the next guy. I might be wasting a lot of hand cleaner, but I'm following the "prescription" [emoji12] .
Never thought of using hand sanitizer. I guess since I never had a problem before, I just didn't think of this. It's probably not what most would do, but I think I'm gonna get out the sanitizer on the next trip. Since the point of possible contamination is not closely connected in time to the next time you have the "runs" you can never be sure this wasn't the cause

Good catch. It all makes good common sense.

Tom & Doty
Old 09-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
At a bare miniumum, we run the CG hose bib for a minute or so, to clear out any lead-based solder residing in the pipes coming from the city water or well-based pressure tank. Lots of old systems contain lead solder.

Then reduce the water flow, and cup one hand over the end of the hose bib, so that you are rinsing the threads off very well. You can even "scrub" the threads with your clean hand.

Additional steps like bleach or hand sanitizer optional!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The weight of all my stuff!

The relationship between how we dump and what it weighs is...? 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #46
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The relationship between how we dump and what it weighs is...? 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi

The fact that they apparently don't work as plumbers and thus don't have all those big heavy wrenches to carry as part of their load. If you panic at the thought of a rinse hose, you *don't* want to ask a plumber about his routine daily chores ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
“It ain’t all water”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
“It ain’t all water”
Umm..how much heavier is a full BT vs a full FWT.
We need a Wastewater Engineer. 🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are sensitive to the idea of a black water hose being here or there ..... avoid bringing this topic up with a plumber when you have just eaten. They deal with both water into and water out of the house on a *very* regular basis. So does the roto-rooter man and the septic tank pumper guy. They all have a number of very graphic / gross / funny stories to tell. None of them seem to have died (or even gotten sick) from the many experiences ....

Bob
Old 09-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #50
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Umm..how much heavier is a full BT vs a full FWT.
We need a Wastewater Engineer. [emoji851]

Bob
[emoji631]
Well, if it floats, it's lighter than water, but only floats because it displaces some water, so 5 gallons of BT feels about the same as 5 gallons of water, when schlepping to the recently install septic clean out fitting. Is also interesting what is in BT fluid that never dissolves, digests, or disintegrates. [emoji12]
Old 09-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #51
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Well, if it floats, it's lighter than water, but only floats because it displaces some water, so 5 gallons of BT feels about the same as 5 gallons of water, when schlepping to the recently install septic clean out fitting. Is also interesting what is in BT fluid that never dissolves, digests, or disintegrates. [emoji12]
Okay, yes you can have a cement boat that floats due to configuration, but is heavier than the water it displaces if sunk. Haven't seen that in any 5- gal buckets.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
New developments!

Well, at the blink of an eye, we've added (or was it my wife!) at least a hundred pounds more. We've decided to take some of her craft equipment and a newly purchased portable printer:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mobi.../dp/B00NV9LL9Q

And I've added a few tools and a cast iron Lodge pan. My drone is going and my camera gear and GoPro. Still under the 2200 lbs., but counting up!

Tom & Doty
Old 09-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are sensitive to the idea of a black water hose being here or there ..... avoid bringing this topic up with a plumber when you have just eaten. They deal with both water into and water out of the house on a *very* regular basis. So does the roto-rooter man and the septic tank pumper guy. They all have a number of very graphic / gross / funny stories to tell. None of them seem to have died (or even gotten sick) from the many experiences ....

Bob
I have spent my working life (40 years) installing pipes in Chicago and the Chicago Metro area. Water, Sewer, Storm, treatment plants and renovation. Lot of it was removing old decrepit sewer lines and in all those years I never had one incident of any of my employees getting ill from handling waste contaminated materials. And let me tell you some of them where doozies.
Like when they were in the process of connecting a house sewer to the newly installed main and someone would flush a fully loaded commode in the house.
And never wore hazmat suits either. The most dangerous world is a totally antiseptic one.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:45 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Well, at the blink of an eye, we've added (or was it my wife!) at least a hundred pounds more. We've decided to take some of her craft equipment and a newly purchased portable printer:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mobi.../dp/B00NV9LL9Q

And I've added a few tools and a cast iron Lodge pan. My drone is going and my camera gear and GoPro. Still under the 2200 lbs., but counting up!
Hi

We went with some crazy french made pans that have removable handles on them. They are aluminum so not crazy heavy. Not having fixed handles makes them *way* easier to cram into drawers. Like many aluminum objects, very much *not* the low cost option

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One "counter force" to the creep in loading of the trailer is a occasional ( yearly, monthly ... weekly ... ) run through and throw out process. More or less - if it's not been used ... why have it on the trailer ... Each time I go through, I find this and that. It's always a "what was I thinking ???" sort of thing when I spot an item.

Bob
Old 09-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We’ve done that also especially as we transfer to new trailer. Everything we have for the trailer is bought for the trailer. My wife will not bring our coffee pot from home or anything else and move it to the trailer. That way we do not have to pack to go on a trip. it’s all in the trailer ready to go.

Tom & Doty