Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I never said it wouldn't do the job. It is just all the picayune chores associated with running diesel. The old Titan was "fill up.with regular gas", "change the oil" regularly.

Easy peasey
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:54 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Strange, I don't have them problems with my 2500 ram with a 6.7 cumalong, half way through a 6500 mile trip to the coast and up...
My experience has been that you have to hunt for Diesel fuel with Bio Diesel in it. I wouldn't advise anyone using it any event. What I do like is that most stations with Diesel pumps have them at the outside Islands, which is where I prefer to fill up to begin with.
I was wondering, what is the loaded weight of a 31' Sovereign ?
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
My experience has been that you have to hunt for Diesel fuel with Bio Diesel in it. I wouldn't advise anyone using it any event. What I do like is that most stations with Diesel pumps have them at the outside Islands, which is where I prefer to fill up to begin with.
I was wondering, what is the loaded weight of a 31' Sovereign ?
I have used it in Minnesota and South Dakota, never had any problems, all the big trucks were using it....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I am still under warranty for another 92000 miles so I am pretty much "by the book" which says nothing greater than B10.

Used to like Flying J and Pilot because they had those dedicated RV lanes but they are all stickered as B20

Haven't weighed the rig in a while but when I did we were just under 4 tons (gross is 8600). It's an '86, so a narrow body.

Gonna do my first set of fuel filters this weekend. Just glad it is an easy dyi procedure as the dealers are charging up the ying yang for it.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Towing Question Of The Year.....

Man, oh man, how did we make it through the Rockies and Cascades forty and fifty years ago with just a car pulling an 8000-lb Silver Streak?

Name the pass.

As to braking, an exhaust brake is a bandaid for the weak minded afraid to use advice and experience. It doesn't engage trailer brakes (which is far more important to keep the rig in alignment). None of these trailers are heavy enough to warrant its use.

Travel trailer disc brakes (antilock) as by TUSON is the way to go.

The rest is just choosing the right gear for the descent.

Today's vehicles are overpowered, so that part is wholly a non-starter.

I ran Dodge one tons in the oilfield with trailers more than twice as heavy as the "tow rating". Lasted about 300k miles running roads you'd never put your vehicle upon. The EB was useful with 22,000-lbs following.

The Kenworth I'm in today engages trailer brakes when in deceleration and the jake selected. Stability control.

If you want controlled descent, then gear choice and disc brakes at all wheels is what works. That is, if staying upright and lane-centered is the goal.

An exhaust brake with no simultaneous trailer brake application is whistling past the graveyard.

The heavier your tow vehicle, the worse your problems.

The better your brakes, the fewer.

It's really that simple.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
Ram doesn't allow you to downshift??? Proves how little I know about Ram.

It was very easy on my truck. Keeps my speed nice and easy, and seldom have to touch the brake. One of the passes we took just outside Yellowstone was so steep it had a downhill speed limit of 25 mph for trucks over 12K lbs. I was happy to fall in line with the semi trucks and slowly glide down the mountain hardly touching the brakes at all.
My 06 Cummins has no engine or exhaust brakes. I start my downhills slowly and use the trucks brakes to maintain a low speed.One must stay alert..and use lower gears, I do have an overdrive lockout.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I am still under warranty for another 92000 miles so I am pretty much "by the book" which says nothing greater than B10.

Used to like Flying J and Pilot because they had those dedicated RV lanes but they are all stickered as B20

Haven't weighed the rig in a while but when I did we were just under 4 tons (gross is 8600). It's an '86, so a narrow body.

Gonna do my first set of fuel filters this weekend. Just glad it is an easy dyi procedure as the dealers are charging up the ying yang for it.
So it is lighter than the new Classic 30' but in line with all the other newer 30 footers.
Flying J and Pilot have the highest diesel prices on the road. It seems they are asking for a premium from the civilians all the while they are discounting heavily to the truckers. I found Shell stations with the best Diesel prices and quility but you need to assess the turn around space before you pull in.
I stay away from Biodiesel for the same reason, the owners manual cautions against it so why bother. I have used it on occasion when nothing else is available but replace it at the first opportunity.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
B20 is fine. I've clocked thousands of miles with VW, Mercedes (sedan) and Ram (Cummins) diesels on B20 and they all perform smoother, quieter and cleaner on the B20 than on dino-diesel. So yeah, for what my experience is worth, biodiesel is good. Ethanol-mixed gasoline, on the other hand...
Old 05-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #49
AbbottAir

2016 23' International
Pocatdello , Idaho
How about getting an average of 16.5_17.5 mph in the Rockies...we live & play here and that is truly our average. We pull our 23D (6000 max) with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee ECO-DIESEL and does a fantastic job. Learn to use the paddleshifters (it does take practice), be sure the factory tow is installed, enjoy the 28-33 mpg when not towing. Plus it is fun for exploring and gets you into places no truck can!
AbbottAir is offline   Reply With Quote