Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndKrista View Post
Hello Airstream Friends! We have a 27 Ft. Airstream Flying Cloud. We pull it with a 3500 RAM. My husband had a bad fall this summer and ended up with a traumatic brain injury. I am 67 and he is 71. My question for all of you concerns a hitch that I can put on and take off the truck that doesn't weigh 50-60 lbs. I'm OK with driving and backing it in (farm girl) but find taking off the hitch rather burdensome. I'm also interested in the electric awning. Any thoughts? Would the Hensley hitch be a good fit for a lady? Thanks, Krista
WIth the Hensley there are no bars to remove. I welded a handle to the top of the stinger which makes it easy to lift to install or remove. The Hensley also moves the trailer back from the truck a bit which allows the tailgate to go down without hitting the jack.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
Fredericksburg , Virginia
We changed to a Pro-Pride about a year ago. My husband has Alzheimer's and can travel but not helpful in setting up anymore. I love this hitch!! It takes a bit of getting used to but Sean is very helpful and actually Facetimed with me when I was learning. Others have also commented and I just wanted to add that the stinger is a bit heavy but I am going to try the suggestions they provided. I made the mistake of leaving the stinger on once, tripped and broke my arm in 2 places. So, it should come off the TV when unhitched. I can lift it and I leave it right by the trailer hitch. Good luck in your search!

Andi
Fredericksburg, VA
agabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Very sorry to hear about your husband's health issues.

We have a 25 and use an Equalizer hitch and sway bars. We tow with a Tundra.

I am mid-50s and in decent shape and I can put the hitch on and the bars on myself. If the hitch is a bit too awkward, I would think that the a hitch grip would be a good thing to consider (google it, many sources)

I would estimate that the hitch weighs about 30 pounds and the bars are about 15 pounds each. We keep the bars in a old gun bag with a shoulder strap and that works really well for moving the bars from the trailer to the ground when we get ready to go. And it is good for storing them out of the way when we are in camp.

If you can do the backing up part (I have not mastered that yet so my husband does that part) then you would be good to go with an equalizer.
If you use a "Hitch-Grip", do NOT use it with a Reese interchangeable and rotating ball. It will drop the hitch and miss your toes by 2". if you're lucky.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Almost if not all states have law that req. hitch heads, balls etc. be removed when not towing, not part under veh. Can cause damage with hitch sticking out, then huge liability claim and trip to court for ticket, as person that backed into side of my new car found out a few yrs. ago, was very costly for him, also his ins. co. not happy. So be aware of this law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Can you point us to this law? I know there are laws about restrictin license plates but not many that require removin the hitch. I could be wrong. There was a thing in Illinois where they were gonna require ones that stick out more than 4" to be removed or painted red, but it didn't pass. I'm just curious where it ain't legal cause I can't find it.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...76&LegID=46447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
In Michigan if it sticks out more than 4' it needs a red flag. I usually take my hitch of because I hang out in Detroit where it will be stolen and sold for scrap.

If you rear end my truck you get what you get.
Quote:
I stand corrected as Il house bill 3669 filed 2009 amended Il. vehicle codes rules committee ended, only law pertains to hitch or portions of hitch, reading [blocking] lic. plate that pertains to all states. The law that I stated before I can not find now only bill that died in committee. I am neither lawyer or cop so I can and do make mistakes

The Hensley 'stinger' has never gotten in trouble in any State it's been exposed in....the 'shin saver' may help a bit.

I thought Florida had such a law but research could not confirm.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towtector.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	294666   Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA%20SHINSAVER%20003.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	294667  

Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #25
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Fetherbetter, please cite the law which prohibits the stinger from being left in the receiver when not being used. Looked but can't find one....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I never remove my hitch head because I have an old rusty cantankerous hitch lock and a hitch tightener/anti-rattle device that would require a ratchet handle and 3/4" socket to remove and Rock Tamers mounted to the hitch shank.
I never remove the hitch shank from my Pathfinder, either. I leave it there intentionally so if I am rear-ended the car rear-ending me will hit the hitch instead of my bumper. I've been rear-ended twice where the trailer hitched saved my bumper.
Leaving the hitch in both vehicles has me ready to tow anything any time. I tow a 3,500# utility trailer with a 2" ball behind the Pathfinder. I tow cargo trailers and car hauling trailers and the Airstream up to 10,000# with the Tundra with a 2 5/16" ball. Ball size corresponds to trailer GVW and vehicle towing capacity.
I generally back into a space far away from a business entrance where no one will be walking behind my pickup.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you back into somebody and harpoon their parked vehicle, yes you will be liable for the damage. No I'm not a lawyer, but I'm quite confident that's the way it works. I may still have those bills around somewhere ....

There is an enormous amount of yack about unused hitches (that do not obscure a plate) being illegal here or there. Only a lawyer familiar with the laws of all 50 states could give you real insight into that. Have your checkbook ready .... he's going to put in a lot of hours

Theft is another very legit reason to pull a hitch. It's never worried me. I also have spent most of my years with a dirt cheap ball hitch on the back of the truck or SUV. I might look at it differently if I had something like a PP. Yes, I do know what my shank plus hitch costs. It's really not all that cheap even on my hitch. I've also seen people put locks on their receivers, that could be a solution to the theft issue.

Lots of zigs and zags ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Not really too worried that I will back into anyone's vehicle...
I haven't so far...
licensed driver for 33 years...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #29
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Almost if not all states have law that req. hitch heads, balls etc. be removed when not towing, not part under veh. Can cause damage with hitch sticking out, then huge liability claim and trip to court for ticket, as person that backed into side of my new car found out a few yrs. ago, was very costly for him, also his ins. co. not happy. So be aware of this law.
Not true most states do not have such a law.

show me the Beef..........
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #30
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
[QUOTE=uncle_bob;2007626]Hi

If you back into somebody and harpoon their parked vehicle, yes you will be liable for the damage. No I'm not a lawyer, but I'm quite confident that's the way it works. I may still have those bills around somewhere ....

Only if you back into someone will you be liable.

Lot of great stuff on this site if you stick to the facts you know.
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Somewhere in Detroit there's a Honda driving around with a hole in the front bumper. There driver still has the 3 points he got for running into my hitch ball.

I'll remove the Hensley stinger though.

I don't worry about theft much, but it would be a bummer if a prankster took the hitch ball at a campground and I didn't have a spare. More so with the Hensley stinger as I can't go to Tractor Supply for a replacement.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I don't worry about theft much, but it would be a bummer if a prankster took the hitch ball at a campground and I didn't have a spare. More so with the Hensley stinger as I can't go to Tractor Supply for a replacement.
That's exactly what I worry about. If someone stole my Hensley stinger (if for no other reason than for the scrap metal value, since it is a huge hunk of iron), I would be stranded. No way to come up with a replacement other than having one shipped in from Hensley. So, I bought a tool box at Home Depot that is large enough for the stinger to fit in. Out of 4" x 4" lumber, I made a frame for it to sit in, inside the tool box (so it won't slide around). I keep it in my truck bed locked up and tied down.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Locking hitch pin...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Locking hitch pin...
I don't want to leave the stinger in when driving the TV around. I think it is dangerous sticking out that far in parking lots, etc., even with a flag or orange cone on it. Plus, I hit it myself one time and nearly broke my leg.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Locking hitch pin...
I always use a locking hitch pin. I don't want to worry about someone messing with it when I leave the rig unattended.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I recently deep sixed my Hensley for a blue ox.

Very happy with the performance and ease of hitching and unhitching. The bars are lighter and easier to mount than the equalizer... and ONE panic stop so far was a total success except for the kid who blew thru a red light but didn't have to beat my grill. He got some minor road rash falling off his cycle.

One improvement is to ise a breaker bar with a socket to tension the bars instead of the tool that comes with the hitch.

Paula
Old 09-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I recently deep sixed my Hensley for a blue ox.

Very happy with the performance and ease of hitching and unhitching. The bars are lighter and easier to mount than the equalizer... and ONE panic stop so far was a total success except for the kid who blew thru a red light but didn't have to beat my grill. He got some minor road rash falling off his cycle.

One improvement is to ise a breaker bar with a socket to tension the bars instead of the tool that comes with the hitch.

Paula

Yes, this is my exact setup. 24" breaker bar instead of the flimsy short wrench.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Seems like you could use the trailer's electric tongue jack to lift the truck and trailer making it easier to tension the chains with the supplied tool.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Fetherbetter, please cite the law which prohibits the stinger from being left in the receiver when not being used. Looked but can't find one....
read my post that is first one page 2.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
The posted question was" WHAT IS THE RIGHT HITCH FOR A LADY" as the hitch she has is too heavy and she goes on to explain. So, ..................., what is the answer?
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote