Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Increase the tension in the bars until the truck is level. Then determine what is needed to get the trailer level. Don’t try to do both at the same time. Truck first, then the trailer. Very easy that way.
???? Which is more important, AS level or TV?

IMHO...The AS
Most likely your TV isn't level without the AS.

Important that they both be close, but the AS takes priority as a must be.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Can you increase the WD to move 160lb leaving the FA 100lb light. I would not try to return more than 200 though, you do not want to have the FA lighter than the TV alone weight.
Bob (or anyone else): Looking for comments if you have time. I took my rig to a shop today, had them do what they thought best and stopped at a Cat Scale afterward. My front axle weight is now the exactly the same as when the I weighed the truck alone. You had suggested leaving the front 100lb light. I was at the weight limit on my rear axle before so I needed some more WD. I ended up moving 260 to the front axle and 120 to the trailer putting the rear axle 380lbs under its limit. I do have a concern is that my calculated tongue weight after WD ends up being 600lbs with a trailer weight of 6320. Actual tongue weight on the shop's scale was 900lbs. Is this a concern?
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
Bob (or anyone else): Looking for comments if you have time. I took my rig to a shop today, had them do what they thought best and stopped at a Cat Scale afterward. My front axle weight is now the exactly the same as when the I weighed the truck alone. You had suggested leaving the front 100lb light. I was at the weight limit on my rear axle before so I needed some more WD. I ended up moving 260 to the front axle and 120 to the trailer putting the rear axle 380lbs under its limit. I do have a concern is that my calculated tongue weight after WD ends up being 600lbs with a trailer weight of 6320. Actual tongue weight on the shop's scale was 900lbs. Is this a concern?
No, it's not a concern. Your tongue weight is still 900 lbs. You only "distributed" it. You did not decrease the tongue weight.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
GOOD JOB....returning 100% is fine as long as you have no porpoising over undulations in the road.
I can do the same with our rig, but dialing back to 200lb light makes no difference in handling, so I've just left it there.

NEVER return more than what the unhitched FA weighs.

Your hitched TW, (actually receiver weight) is fine.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tail squatting...

I crank up my power WD jacks to an appropriate level with a ruler, then test drive. Usually add a little bit more tension on the order of 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch, depending on loading, until porpoise motion just stops. Seems to be the sweet spot on my rig.

Power jack on street side

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4580.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	372318

The guys that I sometimes think built my rig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0981.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	372319
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:58 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Thanks for your replies!
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1991 32' Excella
1999 25' Safari
High Ridge , Missouri
we added roadmaster helper springs and it does help keep the truck from squatting so bad, it also makes using the equalizer WD easier to use.
Blomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
TV "squat"when hitched should be remedied with the weight distribution bars.
The more compliant the lash-up the better.
More important that the AS is level loaded for camping.

Very few TV vehicles are level with no payload.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Coming in to this thread mid-discussion...I know there are many variables at play but in general how ‘aggressive’ can one be moving the L brackets higher on an equalizer set up? I’m near level both truck and trailer but wonder after reading his thread that if I moved my L bracket one hole up I’d be more parallel to my A frame and more level overall both truck/trailer. Just feels sort of unsettling when I’m raising my electric hitch up and my truck along with it to engage the bars. I guess in theory the rear 2” receiver and the trucks suspension should be able to tolerate it being raised just like when it’s on a mechanic’s lift?
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote