Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Wimberley , Texas
Sway bar hitch recommendation

Just bought a 2010 23 ft flying cloud. Will tow with a 2020 ram 1500, 5.7 hemi, stock tires.
Need recommendation for sway bar hitch.
Will be a solo traveler, not young, reasonably technically competent.
Help, please.
cebiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebiggs View Post
Just bought a 2010 23 ft flying cloud. Will tow with a 2020 ram 1500, 5.7 hemi, stock tires.
Help, please.
Just a anti-sway bar hitch not a wd hitch with anti-sway bar?
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Equalizer, Reese, Blue Ox.
Get size based on tongue weight.

I have the Equalizer, I don't see any reason to switch, but there are many good brands.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The 23' will have a tongue weight just at or under 1000 so those are the bars you should order. The ideal choice for Brand/model will depend on your driving style, and tolerance for the nuances of set-up. Your set-up is tolerant of any of the quality brands. Some have more sway control than others, some are stiffer than others. With your set-up being balanced as it is, you will do fine regardless so it should go first down to driving style. If you get nervous when trucks pass and in strong winds then excellent sway control is best and you should look at ProPride/Hensley or Reese Straight-Line, or possibly Equilizer. If you are laid back and don't get alarmed the you can pick any of the good ones. Look at how they are installed and consider that in your decision.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Happy with equalizer

We just have a baby airstream, but have be very happy with out equalizer 6k hitch. Easy to install. We did get sway bracket jackets and it is quiet and stable as can be. Plus equalizer is based in Utah! A big concern for us was where the sway brackets could be installed on the a frame. This is less of a concern on other trailers.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Reese Straight Line hitch. You’ll be happy. Simple to hitch up in about 10 mins once you’ve done it about 3 times. Mid range in price. For what you’re towing no problem on weight. No sway bar to meet with, the sway control is built into the hitch. Don’t have to take anything loose to back in. Quite hitch as long as you keep it greased. I’d recommend having it installed by you dealer.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
Have enjoyed Equalzer hutch on various trailers. Currently with our AS FC 26. Easy to use. Works great for me.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I'll start the argument: Get a Hensley or ProPride, they are the most expensive, but also the safest. There are used ones around and I believe both mfgs offer rebuilt one. They would be just like new.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Keep in mind there are 3 models of the FC 23.. 2 of them are much heavier on the tongue. the FBQ is the lightest of the 3.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
And don't forget, at the end of the day, irrespective of the initial tongue weight, stability wise the trailer is more stable with 15% of the weight on the tongue.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Wimberley , Texas
Thank you, everyone. This rookie appreciates all the help he can get. Will be setting off on my first trip in three weeks...getting out of the Texas heat!!
cebiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
These are independently adjustable for weight distribution and sway control

1) Easy-Lift with brake pad sway control strut (get two struts) - this hitch is inexpensive, flexible and often recommended by CanAm RV. They replace the standard cast shank with one they have custom built.
2) Reese dual Cam - has been used for years - recommended by many
3) PPP by Hensley or Propride - best, heavy, $$$ - verify your receiver capacity and understand hookup process can be challenging for some. Value is it basically eliminates/prevents sway.

The Equalizer is an easy hitch to hook up and that makes it a good choice for some. It is not so easy to properly set-up initially. It is within the capability of mechanically inclined folks. The problem with this hitch is that it is too stiff for an Airstream and it is not independently adjustable for Weight distribution and sway control. The clone versions have some problems with bending the tongue brackets when backing.

The Blue Ox is an excellent hitch, but it suffers from not being independently adjustable for weight distribution and sway control. It is easy to install and provides a flexible connection for the hitch lash up. However, the bars are a spring and store energy which can be dangerous if not released with care. The trick is to attach the trailer to the ball, latch the lock and raise the TV and trailer with the tongue jack high enough to connect the BO chains with a minimum of force. Disconnect is the reverse. Using a 24" breaker bar and 1" 6 point socket is much safer and more controllable than the OEM flat bar wrench.

Not a complete list, but a start to your research. Most Airstream dealers sell the EQ and the Blue Ox. Continue with the investigation, there are hitch specific threads and a lot to learn with respect to defining the best solution for your application. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:29 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Had Husky centerline for years and used it with multiple trailer types, I highly recommend them and would use nothing else.
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:34 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

What hitch is a choice...setting it up properly is a MUST.🤓

Don't scrimp, buy quality, read the manual, go camping.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
CHANDLER , Arizona
Quote:
Help, please.
I pull FC 23fb same truck equalizer hitch. Easy and the trailer never moves
dgsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
For those new to towing and having an Equalizer, or I suspect, bars with chains to attach, here's a tip.
Back the truck to the ball, lower the coupler on to the ball, and close and latch the coupler. Then raise BOTH the truck rear and trailer front using the jack. That effectively is taking the weight off the bars.
You'll be thinking, "OMG! I'm picking the truck up off the ground with the ball." It won't need to go that far, but it looks weird.
Get it high enough to attach the bars with little effort. Then lower the whole thing and raise the jack to travel.
That's why jacks are rated for much more than the tongue weight. More is better.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:36 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Chesterfield , Missouri
We have a Caravel 22fb and the Equalizer does great with our Toyota Tundra!
Luvu3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Thank you, everyone. This rookie appreciates all the help he can get. Will be setting off on my first trip in three weeks...getting out of the Texas heat!!
CE... I am only a couple miles north of you in Spicewood and I have WD hitch I’ll LOAN you if you come pick it up. (It’s a Reese or something similar generic and has 800-1000 lb bars.) I pull a 22’ Bambi (single axle) with a Ram 1500 and do not use anything other than an ordinary ball-hitch and an Anti-Sway. Been all over the western U.S., from Tx, to NM, CO, WY, UT, MT, ID, AZ, and never a problem. While longer, heavier trailers need WD hitches.... don’t do it just because everyone else seems to.... i’ve never seen so much hype over an issue some folks seem to think should do it their way because they do it (like when it comes to politics and which motor oil to use.)
If you have much experience pulling trailers, try it both ways and THEN decide. In the meantime you’ll not have invested several hundred dollars on something you may not need and can’t get your money back on. If you decide to keep it, you can mail me $100 and it’s yours.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

The Equalizer is an easy hitch to hook up and that makes it a good choice for some. It is not so easy to properly set-up initially. It is within the capability of mechanically inclined folks. The problem with this hitch is that it is too stiff for an Airstream and it is not independently adjustable for Weight distribution and sway control. The clone versions have some problems with bending the tongue brackets when backing.

... Pat

There are many good hitches out there and you have heard about many of them already. I have used Equalizer hitches on my Airstream as well as the white box I towed before. Since I have never used anything else, I can't really say much about the others. I like mine, I have towed over 50K miles on the Airstream and have had zero issues with mine.

To say that it is "too stiff for an Airstream" does not support my experience. I also don't have a clue about what is meant by "not independently adjustable for weight distribution..." What? It is easily adjustable for this!

Bending the brackets when backing? Really! The main reason I purchased my first Equalizer was for the ease of backing into spots. Years ago, most hitches required that you disengaged before backing. Today this is no longer an issue. To say that you will have trouble "bending the tongue brackets when backing" is simply wrong.

As always, to each his own. I personally would not pay the big money for a PPP as I have "heard" about the difficulty involving hitching and unhitching and the heavy weight of the head, not to mention the high cost. These have only been second hand stories and since I have never used one, I keep these arguments to myself. If you have never used an Equalizer, you should do the same.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The relatively large square bars of the equalizer and similar design hitches are stiffer pound for pound due to inertial moments especially as compared to solid tapered designs. They are great for larger trailers (25' and up) but can be a bit much for smaller ones. They are hard on the trailers and tow vehicles particularly when backing over uneven or unlevel terrain.

With Equalizer and many others, sway damping is proportional to tension so the two properties are not independent.