Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Boulder , Colorado
Question SUV to pull an Airstream

My husband and I would like to buy an Airstream and would prefer a SUV to a truck. We realize we won't get the gas mileage that we would enjoy with a diesel truck, but need a vehicle to drive when not touring.
Any input would be helpful as to type, engine size, and gas mileage.
In addition, identify the weight of the trailer.
We have looked at the VW Toureg, if anyone has used this vehicle would like to know their experience.
Thanks, Stan and Marilyn
MarilynPerlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Stan & Marilyn, I tow with my VW Touareg. I love it and it works perfectly for MY needs, but I only tow a 19' Bambi. I'm not sure I would tow anything larger than a 22' in the mountains, but Devoman does tow his 25' Safari SE SS with his.

What it really comes down to is, what size trailer are you looking at? That would help many here give you a good suggestion on what TV (tow vehicle) you should get.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hi Stan & Merilyn welcome to the forum, check out this thread that 2air posted yesterday. http://www.airforums.com/forum...rol-17986.html

This Bambi was pulled with Chev suburban, now if it would have been towed with a VW Toureg it for sure would have led to personal injury or death to owner or those around him at the time. I know the thread is about the need for sway control, and I'm sure that you will concider this also. Point being there are alot of people towing trailers with SUV's that are just under there tow rateing. And alot of these people figure that if they are carefull and drive the speed limit this will not happen to them, but you cannot always be in control of what is happening around you. I just ask that you give this some great thought, because your live's and the live's around you are worth more than gas mileage. I know that there will be people responding to this post because they tow with a SUV and that is fine. No matter what TV you have if you have a trailer, do to you what it did in 2air's post, I do'nt care if it's a SUV, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or a 1 ton with duels that trailer is going to push the TV around and if it would have been a 1/2 ton or SUV that accident would have been much worse. It is your choice on what TV you choose but always think safty first, have a great time airstreaming and God Bless.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Suburban...

The only thing I would trade my 2002 1500 Suburban in for is a 2500 Suburban!!! We have three kids, tow a 22' Safari (yes, all five of us CAN sleep in there)...didn't want to go to the 25' for several reasons, but one was that we'd push the (weight) limit of the 1500. So we are thrilled with our Suburban and we are thrilled with our cute, sweet, fantastic 22' Safari! Oh, did I mention that I really like our A/S?

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi stan and marilyn

welcome to airstream'n

an adventure awaits you!

your post suggests you are going to buy a trailer and a tow vehicle.....

but no mention of new/used or length on the trailer.....lots of details....

which really determine what options you will have for the horse....

www.airstream.com lists trailer weights......along with lots of new model info....and older model stats too....

have you been inside an airstream recently? pretty cool......

how much do you plan to use the trailer......a weekend a year.....or full time?

where will you go.....just down the road a piece.....or to the waters edge?

i see you are in colorado....your trips will not all be down hill or on straight roadways......

there are many threads here on t.v. (tow vehicles) and lots of great info, debates, opinions and even some nonsense.....

my suggestion for spending your money wisely and doing things in proper order.....
since your slate is clean......

first figure out which airstream you want......really want.......and can afford....

then work through the process of selecting a t.v. that will pull it and control it and stop it safely.....be it suv or truck or submarine....

this advice works well.......unless you are folks who will change to a bigger trailer frequently.....because if the t.v. you select is 'just enough' for the first trailer......it will be 'not nearly enough' for the bigger one.

cheers and enjoy
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Thumbs up Amen to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveGreers
The only thing I would trade my 2002 1500 Suburban in for is a 2500 Suburban!!! We have three kids, tow a 22' Safari (yes, all five of us CAN sleep in there)...didn't want to go to the 25' for several reasons, but one was that we'd push the (weight) limit of the 1500. So we are thrilled with our Suburban and we are thrilled with our cute, sweet, fantastic 22' Safari! Oh, did I mention that I really like our A/S?
DITTO ON THE SUBURBAN
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Here is a link to an article that does a very nice job of describing how to match a tow vehicle and trailer.

ON Edit: It doesn't address the wheelbase issue, however. There is a general guideline for recommended wheelbase for the length of the trailer. Something like 110" wheelbase for a 20' trailer and 4" for each additional foot. Anyone?, Anyone?.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I know lots of folks have opinions on the VW, and although some folks do tow 25' or larger coaches with it, I personally wouldn't tow larger than a 22' coach. That isn't to say the VW isn't a great car, it is, but IMHO there is a difference between moving a trailer and towing it.....zip....flame suit on.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
.... isn't to say the VW isn't a great car, it is, but IMHO there is a difference between moving a trailer and towing it.....
....or stopping it REAL quick....

....or controlling it when things get REALLY squirrelly.....

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can look into a diesel Ford Excursion, and I have seen a diesel Suburban ( a brand spanking new one) that was down here for hot weather testing. So, you have at least two choices for a tow vehicle that is an SUV, and will get halfway decent mileage, at least when not towing. When towing, everyone's mileage goes South in a hurry.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ditto (with emphasis!) to the posts 8 & 9. A Touareg and a 25' is only for Starship Captains (and their problems getting life insurance are legendary....).

April is here -- pick up the Consumer Reports auto issue and look around. My online subscription says both the '04 & '05 Touaregs are black-circled (much worse than average) for Electrical Systems, Body integrity, Power equipment, Body Hardware, and Used Car Verdict. And that is after the '05 looks to be a significant improvement over the '04 .....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:23 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Lakeside , Oregon
Hi Marylyn, I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the "Hemi" engine. My limitations are 7500 max trailer weight with normal tounge weight for that rig. It is certainly not limited to that weight by horsepower. As you might suspect the gas mileage is less than desirable. Over all average without towing is 17 MPG. It gets quite a bit better than that on the open highway. I am also looking for an Airstream trailer and found that most of them under 30 feet fall into my weight range. Good luck on your quest. Joe & Doris
bomberojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Joe? Granted I can only access the 2006 Grand Cherokee specs, but the highest tow capacity is 6500#. Another limitation is that the load capacity is in the neighborhood of 1500# -- and your people on board, options on the tow vehicle, cargo in the tow vehicle and the tongue weight must all add up to less than this maximum. Unloaded tongue weight as listed at Airstream.com for 2006 trailers or Airstream FAQs for past years should also have weight of propane, weight distribution gear, and reasonable personal gear load added.

The Grand Cherokee has a 109.5 inch wheelbase. Cosmotini is 'right on' with the point about wheelbase. You may be able to control a large trailer in straight ahead driving, but are way too close to 'losing it' in wet conditions or accident avoidance. I don't think 25 feet is a decent proposition for a Jeep!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I have towed everything from pop-up to 34' Excella and all between. Get a 2500 series Suburban 454/8.1 or equal and drive.....................on.

My uneducated opinion.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
It doesn't address the wheelbase issue, however. There is a general guideline for recommended wheelbase for the length of the trailer. Something like 110" wheelbase for a 20' trailer and 4" for each additional foot. Anyone?, Anyone?.
Dennis
hi dennis and others....

post 31 in this thread....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...?highlight=110

1:.....t.v.w.b > or = to 1/2 of the distance from hitch ball to rear trailer axle.....

2:......t.v.w.b at least 110" for first 20ft of trailer....add 4" for each foot there after......

these are the ratio guides i've found....and only one of many variables......

but stan and marilyn.......have lots of trailer decisions, before entering.....

the "towlight zone"

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:13 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I have seen a diesel Suburban ( a brand spanking new one) that was down here for hot weather testing..
You sure this was a factory built diesel burb? I've seen 2 companies do the diesel mod on the burb and they look factory. If what you saw was in fact a factory built diesel burb...........ooorah!
Old 03-24-2006, 06:59 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
If you want some information based on experience and tests see Andy Thompsons post on RV.net http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...pging/1/page/5
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Bellbrook , Ohio
I am using a 2003 Chevy Tahoe LT Autoride for this year and maybe part of next year. As a Safety professional in the transportation world, all of my trips will be limited to short daily legs (less then 200 to 250 miles a day), this is to ensure that proper time taken into considerations for the difference in the vehicle to trailer ratio, and to ensure the family is not in the car for long periods of time. I plan on going to a diesel next year, for all you diesel hatters, LOL. I would love to get a Suburban 2500 with a Duramax, and a 6 speed Allison Transmission, that I’m sure is all of our dreams. Buts its looking like a GMC Crew Cab.

I am using an Equalizer hitch system that I was told it has built in weight distribution and sway control, and it sure looks like it too. The load bars attach right to the A frame of the trailer thru a means of 1” “L” shaped push pins that slides down over the top load bars, they are secured on the bottom by a cotter pin. Once under load, these things do not move around, I tested it last weekend.

On a safety note, I cannot stress how important it is to lube those hitches like the Equalizer where the weight distribution bars meet the hitch. We had ours delivered from the dealer (about 75 miles away), and noticed the where and stress due to the fact that the dealer did not use about .10 cents worth of lube. Its just really frustrating to see the little things like that.
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:08 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
If you want some information based on experience and tests see Andy Thompsons post on RV.net http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...pging/1/page/5
I read Andy Thompsons post and would bet the farm the guy is somewhat nuts. I'd take what he posts with a grain of salt, then throw the salt grain away.

I have a Burb (3/4) and I tow our 25' widebody without issue. I'd put that combo against Andy Thompson's rig every day of the week and 2x on Sunday...Hensley or not.

This is the guy that tows a 34' Airstream with a Dodge Intrepid....nuff said.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:16 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Bellbrook , Ohio
My Step father "Hohne" in these fourms, uses a Burb to tow the same trailer I have and has no problems. The Tahoe has proved to be very nice for backing !!!, it will due for the next year.

Towing with an Intrepead???? That cant be safe!!

Will
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote