Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I have but only in dead flat areas. With tow/haul engaged, cruise control is a little too agressive and tends to cause the tranny to hunt when I'm in OD.
According to my manual OD towing is ok unless I get excessive hunting.

Jack
My tow/haul button is located on the end of my gear lever. This is where my F-150's and my wife's Expedition's O/D on/off button is located. I think when you engage the tow/haul it automatically disengages the O/D. Correct me if I am wrong somebody. I just assumed the dealer meant not to tow without the tow/haul engaged.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
That may be the case in Ford products. GM allows it to be used.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #23
_

. , .
hellow m' mate and others

tried using the cruise control on the 05 250psd while towing.

as jack reports, except for really flat areas with no head wind, i didn't like it.....seemed to use more fuel and did shift sooner and with more throttle than i would have. also doesn't let the rig sail as much in a tail wind or decline...

once up to speed much of the trailer control is via throttle.

yes it's possilble to tow above the speed limit with the 250.....but the drift is so gradual that c.control isn't really needed....the 34 provides enough mass to modulate rabbit like accelerations.

i tend to drive the truck, especially while towing by the tach....

you are gonna love it when finally used for towing.......the ride improves and the brake controller is sublime....

one of the issues with higher speeds is of course the tires are only rated to 65mph.

it's easy to drift upward of 75/80 and once there, the eye becomes used to the movement at that speed, and that is what makes it so hard to get back down to 65.......just like when first driving on secondary roads after a long stretch of interstate.....in any vehicle.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
TV Motor Sweet spot....

Hi all -

Been busy for a while. Got a nice note from the Forum site that said I should post again - here I am.

Read the thread with interest as I think that the right towing speed question has more to do with the Motor's sweet spot than with the trailer. Naturally, the trailer dictates the situation (not too fast with a poorly pulling trailer!!!) but it seems like my 'Burb has a engine sweet spot at about 2400rpm. There is power there - no lag or lugging - but the mileage is still OK. I pull a 34' with the 6L.

Someone else (several actually) mentioned that a certain speed was 'just right' but terraign, tranny gear and motor all affect that 'just right' spot - Oh, and trailer size, and weight too.

Never easy is it!?

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote